Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
backed into my own gate post - what an idiot. I was concentrating on the electric garage door in the rear view mirror and sort of forgot to a) look in the door mirrors b) glance at the rear-view camera and c) listen to the parking sensors.

Anyway nothing too serious but I've put a big crease in the bumper and a couple of clips have popped and won't go back into place so I probably need to remove the bumper. From experience they are usually easy to remove but only if you know where all the hidden clips and screws are so don't force in the wrong direction. Does anyone know, by any chance, how to remove the rear bumper?

·
Registered
109 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
FWIW I managed to fix a deep crease in our old Prius bumper using nothing more than a hair dryer. Heated the panel from the front and pushed from the rear. After a few minutes of gentle heating it popped back into shape and was almost perfect.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I drove into the back of someone on Christmas Eve, at around 10mph. I pulled away, she didn't, so I shunted her. Cost around £1k to fix my Ampera - mostly the cost of a new bonnet & front bumper (which is MASSIVE). A moment's inattention!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Unfortunately I don't expect to see an Ampera Haynes manual any time soon....

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eeek!

Pranging my new car is one of my biggest worries these days.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the cost of a replacement bumper though. I'd have expected it to be a lot more than £66
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-AMPERA-REAR-BUMPER-GENUINE-VAUXHALL-PART-AA-/111421766736?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model:Ampera&hash=item19f1413c50

(Sorry, I've no idea how to fix/remove either)
Good spot that thanks (its a used one though with imperfections but might do)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
finally got round to trying @Darren Griffin tip (only a year and a bit) I've also seen some amazing examples on U tube of this working.

heated the bumper and pushed from the back and although it took a lot longer than the examples Ive seen (30mins or so for me) not a bad result. The bumper isnt now perfect but its in the "smart repair" bracket rather than replace.

before.jpg
after.jpg

·
The best there is at what I do
10,659 Posts
Eeek!

Pranging my new car is one of my biggest worries these days.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the cost of a replacement bumper though. I'd have expected it to be a lot more than £66
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-AMPERA-REAR-BUMPER-GENUINE-VAUXHALL-PART-AA-/111421766736?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model:Ampera&hash=item19f1413c50

(Sorry, I've no idea how to fix/remove either)
Yes but getting it painted the right colour will probably cost over £300 :eek:

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,554 Posts
I believe the bumper is actually very easy to get off. There is discussion on gm-volt about replacing the reversing bulb or camera, where the whole bumper has to come off, and it's like a dozen bolts and that's it.

Remeber this is a US designed GM product. It's designed for low-level techs to spend not too long on in the workshop. No Japanese PhDs required.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts