Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off this is possibly a London area specific issue so i'll apologise in advance.

We took delivery of a Soul EV recently and everything has been fine, except for public charging.
Specifically the issue of "legacy" chargers operated by Source London, how has this situation been allowed to happen?

I live close to J25 of the M25 so we frequently visit Enfield who has several legacy points in really useful areas, does my Source London card work? No.

We also visit Westfield in Stratford often does my Source London card work with the 10+ chargers there? No.

My Local train station has a chargemaster 22kw post thats supposedly run by source London which isn't even switched on.

What is going on? You'd assume tax payers money was used to fund these charge points (which i assume were fitted at a crazy cost to make use of the grants available)

I've contacted Source London about this (once to get my EVSE back from a legacy post that decided it wanted to keep it) and they say the Council (Enfield in this case) hasn't renewed its agreement.

Contacted Enfield and they "can't give me a time scale but they are aware of the issue"

Apologise for the rant, but is this happening everywhere or am i just unlucky?

With the Model S we don't tend to bother with charging anywhere other than home or superchargers, but it would be nice to make use of these networks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not just a London thing. In Cambridgeshire, Source East had charging points at the Park and Ride car parks ) and some of the local car parks. These are currently not in full service (apparently some still work with a source east card, which you cannot get anymore) and after contacting my district council and the Cambridge transport department, it appears they have not yet decided who is to take them over.
Not great implementation!

·
Registered
51 Posts
St. Neots has a couple of car parks where there are supposed to be charge points but one has the spaces and no chargers, and the other where the post is completely dead. Both still appear on Zap Map though :-(

·
Registered
642 Posts
The whole of Harrow has been abandoned by Source London. I don't know what the problem is. Surely it would make sense to use the equipment already in place rather than letting it go to waste.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,937 Posts
Shame there aren't any engineers that could just switch them over to free vend with no card etc while the idiots argue amongst themselves...

I'd be harassing OLEV too. If they have handed out money for these and they're not being used in accordance with the grants then someone needs a good pinch.

If they are still on zapmap and don't work then I'd report them to zap map and see if they can be deleted.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I bet once installed the admin cost of running them was completely overlooked by the Bean Counters and with cut backs perhaps these are no longer of any interest -
I suppose they will be pushed into private enterprise eventually if anyone has any sense
There is probably a fledgling charging outfit out there today that is tomorrows BP and they may well start from such humble beginnings

·
Premium Member
11,066 Posts
We also visit Westfield in Stratford often does my Source London card work with the 10+ chargers there? No
I am trying to put pressure on Westfield to get those Type 2 chargers replaced - possibly to Chargemaster or Podpoint. Please email [email protected] and let them know how unhappy you were that you couldn't get a charge.

I have been thinking of organising a few EVs owners to arrive there and getting press to come along to embarrass Westfield. However, I would need a PR person onboard as the media need very careful management with regard to EV topics...

On a more practical note there are 13A sockets (turn left on lower level) that don't need any card ;)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I bet it's happening everywhere, maybe except Milton Keyens.
For example; my local council installed 2 (two) chargers, one of which on their car park at the back of council building. It is behind barriers which are cloesed after 5pm. Last time I went there got informed it is not for public :(
Second one is out of order for at least 1.5 years. I've enquired about fixing it 11 months ago. And guess what... It is still out of order today:eek:

·
Premium Member
11,066 Posts
London is a mess and the major and TFL know the Source London deal with the Bolloré Group has been a disaster but won't publicly admit it. They have no control over them and Bolloré main agenda is their car rental scheme - hence the tethered Type 1 plugs. The hope for EVs in London is the new cash TFL have got should result in more posts from more operators. However it still isn't clear if some/all posts will be available to all drivers, or ring fenced for cabs and commercial.

My latest rant re Source London was last week we arrived at Hammersmith where we planned a 1 hour charge but all four posts were out of service and helpline were useless. After 30 mins faffing we had to use petrol to get to our next (planned) charge near Embankment, which isn't exactly ideal in London!

At least the Embankment post worked but it was super expensive for almost 4 hours. Journey back was crap too as M4 was closed. Before tree huggers start we were leaving London too late for train back to Newbury. Even if we weren't, the off peak train cost from here is very expensive and OH hates public transport at night!

Reactions: 2543

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I worked in London as a FE based at Goswell road in the mid nineties used to be able to do Goswell to Blackwall tunnel in 15 minutes most days via all sorts of adventure routes

I have not driven into London for over 10 years & wouldn't go near the place today I wish you good luck in your endeavours.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I trie
St. Neots has a couple of car parks where there are supposed to be charge points but one has the spaces and no chargers, and the other where the post is completely dead. Both still appear on Zap Map though :-(
I tried to persuade the one behind Waitrose to work before. It didn't.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Oh and I think the ones at the Gateway, Taunton park and ride have also been abandoned now. They were originally £50 a year for a pass to use them...... was never going to work. All funded by a grant of course, big fanfare, tra la la aren't we so green..... tumbleweed within months.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Either to costly to maintain, lack of use or both. I been at this 6 weeks now and the public infrastructure is awful which is why I bought the Ampera. I have to say though, both PodPoint & Chargemaster/Polar have been great.

·
Registered
21 Posts
As someone looking to getting an EV in the coming months this is all very depressing. :(

It is looking more and more like the only sensible option right now is a PHEV. Yes, there are going to be many who don't need to use public charging for whom a BEV would be suitable but if I want a car that is suitable for both short and long trips then for me it is looking like a PHEV.

I wonder how long it will be before the government and local councils start to take EVs and charging seriously. It seems to me that without government enforcing it councils will never consider it a priority in these days of cost-cutting and austerity.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
If it was me alone driving I would have bought an I3 Rex but swmbo did not like it I think that combo of Phev is the right one - tiny engine just enough to remove the risk but otherwise 100% electric.

Probably a less complicated method as well, the larger engine biased hybrids look damn complicated to me and that might cost more in maintenance in the years to come.

However don't be disheartened it will inevitably have to rapidly improve as more cars sell and the bill in the queens speech was a step in the right direction.

I like most here have not had any issues charging at all and mine is 99% done at home overnight or between school runs.

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
610 Posts
As someone looking to getting an EV in the coming months this is all very depressing.
Don't write off a BEV too quickly. Once you have a, say, 40kWh battery or larger things change. You have a worst-case range of over 100 miles, and a summer range of up to 200 miles. I find this is enough for almost all our use, given that we have a home charger (and an old Golf on reserve for longer trips). If I have a longer trip, then 45 minutes at a 22kW or faster charger will give me an extra 50 miles and one such stop lets me get to a destination in most of England. There I can charge up overnight at a 7kW charger or with my granny cable.

Most importantly, within range I don't need to access a charger, so reliability and availability is not an issue. I can't see me ever using a destination (<22kWh) charger at a 'local' supermarket, for example. It wouldn't add enough to a 40kWh battery in the time I'm there.

Indeed, as batteries get larger this is going to become increasingly the case. It might even result in the availability and reliability of small chargers going down!

In the short term, having a large-battery BEV and an efficient ICE (or renting when needed) can be a good solution for many people. It is likely that you can do most of your mileage in the BEV and use an ICE for the rest. Overall, this can be less polluting than a PHEV. Depending on your usage of course - there are many people for whom the above doesn't work.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The reason I bought the Ampera, apart from it being an amazing car, is it's autonomy. Most of my day to day journeys fall well within it's on-board 50mi battery range & I am fortunate enough to have several charging points that are either free to use or cost the £1.20 Polar app access fee, within 25 miles or so in every direction...lucky me!

I spent 6 months testing everything, and I mean everything, much to Mrs Blue's annoyance.

Conclusion was, pure BEV, without a good, always available back up was just too stressful. We got, ICE'd, blocked by other EV's, found posts that didn't work, or didn't work as advertised, and if you ever need to do a diversion, like yesterday when someone forgot their keys, bag & phone, you'd be screwed. So, only ok if you do the same short journeys, over known routes & you can charge at home would a BEV cut it for me.

We looked at Tesla but buying a car off of clowns didn't appeal & I hear getting insurance is becoming more challenging. The BMW dealer was less than trustworthy so i3 was out & I couldn't get out of i8:eek:

So pure electric with engine came down to a choice of 1 and as they are a steal 2nd hand, it was an easy choice.

6 weeks in, 3k miles completed, love it!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The whole of Harrow has been abandoned by Source redacted. I don't know what the problem is. Surely it would make sense to use the equipment already in place rather than letting it go to waste.
I expect Harrow council has not bent over and grabbed their ankles under the pressure from the Bolore group and their car rental scheme. The one where eventually every charge point will be pre-reserved by themselves for the own rentals. Other councils have done what they were told I guess.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts