Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled into Ikea Southampton to find a tesla model s 85 plugged in and abandoned. No contact details on screen. Called @Ecotricity they confirmed it had been plugged in an hour but did not know who it was (until they finish charging) and we're not allowed to disconnect.

The charger could only charge one side at a time so I have Ben stood here for an hour chatting to various car parking staff waiting for the Danish Model S driver to return.

THIS HAS TO BE RE-THOUGHT

Attachments

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Not sure one can describe a car that's plugged in and charging as "abandoned".

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Tesla Model S Has been 2 hours now on charge, no contact details and no option to start DC rapid charge session.

Is that fair and acceptable?

We need a 45 min max per session in my opinion.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Not sure one can describe a car that's plugged in and charging as "abandoned".
Yeah he's plugged in and charging. Out of courtesy he could have left his number or saying he will be returning at xx:xx time.

But let's face it, this problem is going to be alot more common place now that the popularity of EVs are increasing.

The only answer to this is installing more chargers. Also set clear guidelines and rules when giving out these Ecotricity cards such as when charging is finished move your car!

·
Registered
6 Posts
The only answer to this is installing more chargers. Also set clear guidelines and rules when giving out these Ecotricity cards such as when charging is finished move your car!
The problem here is that he isn't finished charging. The Model S, if empty, can take up to 3.5 hours to fill up on a 22kW charger.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
If it's correct what @dpeilow said that Ecotricity has disabled the option of allowing AC and DC to be charging at the same time, this is something that they could look into.

The Model S is only using 25% or 50% (depending if it's a 11kw or 22kw on board charger) of the total rated power. @Grant Thomas could have used the remaining 50% (22kw) available power and would have been on his way an hour an half ago!

Something to think about @Ecotricity

Reactions: Paul

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
The problem here is that he isn't finished charging. The Model S, if empty, can take up to 3.5 hours to fill up on a 22kW charger.
Yeah I know, that's why I think he's well within his right to be still charging... Is it fair? No not really. Is he in the wrong? No not really.

I'm sure if the Model S owner knew there was someone waiting he would cancel the charge. I know I would if I was in that situation, and a LEAF was desperate for that charge.

I would resume another charge 150 miles up the road :) :) :)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I wonder if they disabled that due to the unreliability of the chargers? I saw something recently that said that it appeared that the chargers were overheating sometimes when a Tesla was connected and drawing the higher rate for extended periods of time.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Maybe, would be nice if @Ecotricity could confirm this, and it's something that they might enable when they roll out the 'permanent' fix in September.

But 22kW is less than half the rated power. Surely if the rapid is rated for upto 50kW and its still overheating at 22kW, something is seriously wrong with the design of these rapids.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I believe the overheating was while testing the CHAdeMO to Tesla adapter. So 50kW continuous rather than the 2 mins a flat LEAF gets it for.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Just noticed on Twitter, the owner returned as was not in the Ikea store.

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Yep, it's frustrating, and it happened to me last weekend, although my wait was only something like 40 minutes for the driver to reappear. If it happened at Southampton (and I needed the charge) I'd have gone to M27 services, it's only about 5 miles.

Bet thing to do is let ecotricity know you had a problem, and ask them to install another rapid at that site, that's the only real solution.

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
a simple solution would be to put a timer on the AC side similar to the DC side that way no one can hog it for hours
Well that certainly "solves" it for the Leaf drivers, but what if the Tesla driver is actually spending 2 hours in ikea and then driving 150 miles home? The AC timer becomes a huge PITA, especially if they return to the car after 30 mins to resume the charge and find a Leaf driver waiting who now thinks it's their turn...

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Family was shopping in IKEA, west way Nissan was the backup option. Spoke to @Ecotricity twice whose advice was to put out a tannoy announcement on IKEA, which would not have helped as the Tesla driver was in Starbucks!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well that certainly "solves" it for the Leaf drivers, but what if the Tesla driver is actually spending 2 hours in ikea and then driving 150 miles home? The AC timer becomes a huge PITA, especially if they return to the car after 30 mins to resume the charge and find a Leaf driver waiting who now thinks it's their turn...
So after let's say 45 mins the Tesla stops charging allowing the LEAF to charge for (up to) 45 mins. Sounds fair to me. Tesla have a free to use Supercharger network that will charge a Tesla in 30 mins rather than blocking a charger for 3.5 hours.

Reactions: MK Tom
1 - 20 of 222 Posts