Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suspect this is mainly for @Thomas_Newby but interested in anyone else's views as well.

I'm shortly going to get an ABL wall charger installed and STILL cannot make up my mind whether to go tethered or untethered. I'm aware of the pros and cons of each option and, although I want to have the cable 'permanently' connected, would go untethered but for a couple of reasons:-

1. Aesthetically (I think) the way that the connector sticks out at the side just looks as though someone has stuck a pencil into their ear.
2.. Although I can devise a padlocking system easily enough to secure the cable to the wall it would be very much harder to devise a system that would stop someone first unplugging it and then cutting the cable and making off with the connectors (paranoid, I know). (I can't believe that anyone would be stupid enough to cut the cable whilst still connected to the unit - if so they'd definitely be eligible for a Darwin award!).

What are people's views, especially those that have such a unit?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have an ABL tethered for my Leaf. I can't see myself using a different car for a few years so went for the nearer option of tethered. I really like the look of the ABL, the most attractive home chafe point IMO.
If I ever upgrade to a Tesla (), I'll just get the cable changed by an Electrican.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm thinking tethered one minute and untethered the next!! Ours would be on a side wall but facing into a cul de sac. I do think the ABL is the smartest and also you can have a cable holder I guess. Just not sure that if untethered I would be bothered in getting the cables out all the time.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm thinking tethered one minute and untethered the next!! Ours would be on a side wall but facing into a cul de sac. I do think the ABL is the smartest and also you can have a cable holder I guess. Just not sure that if untethered I would be bothered in getting the cables out all the time.
That's what I wanted to avoid so I went for tethered

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have an untethered.. I plan to upgrade to e Model 3 in the future so need a different cable.
@Dozer - how feasible d you think it is to leave the cable permanently plugged into the untethered charging unit? Particularly, how secure is it and what sort of strain does the weight of the connector (and cable) put on the ABL socket?

·
Registered
317 Posts
i bought a tethered one because I am lazy and it comes with a nice cable tidy (if you buy it). So - no cables lying on the floor, no rummaging around for the cable in the car or anywhere else, its always there and ready to go.

J

·
Registered
943 Posts
Simon has already pointed to the right thread, it's all in there. I am still happy with the cable locking solution and, if positioned roughly like I have - wall space permitting, there is no impact on the cable movement apart from the few inches lost to going through the loop.

Note, I have kept an eye out and that specific lock is the only one that does what I/we need and Screwfix seems to be the only sensible source of them.

·
Registered
943 Posts
As an aside, the disadvantage is the cost of the cable versus the need to swap it out in the future or take it with you for public charging. I have a separate 10m 16A cable for public charging, allowing me to get all the way around the car if necessary - the 3.5m one for home is locked in the ABL at all times.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Tethered if possible, untethered if not.

Reaons for not possible would be:
  1. need a longer cable than tethered chargepoints offer
  2. want a cable with a built-in Tesla chargeport opener button
  3. unit is somewhere visible and you want to minimise aesthetic impact by not having a coiled cable there the whole time
  4. other EVs with different connectors will want to use the point.
If none of 1-4 apply, go tethered.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks all. (At the moment) I've decided to go tethered because of the convenience and neatness of the overall solution. Although the planned location is insecure it is in a car port off a courtyard and so unlikely to be seen by anyone other than a few neighbours. I won't be changing my car for at least a couple of years and my wife is wedded to her ICE so for some time there will be no necessity to have a different connector. One other point is that the connector at the free end will either just hang down or has to be inserted into a holder such that it will stick straight out of the wall. Longterm I'm not sure what effect the weight of the cable will have on this set up.

Still, I'll probably have changed my mind by tomorrow as I've already changed it 4 times and there is still a fortnight to go before installation!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts