Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1104 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2014 Sunderland built Leaf Tekna in for it's first service at 14,000 miles on 30th March 2015 and 3 weeks later I still haven't got my car back as I mentioned to the dealer at the time of taking it in that I believed the rear tyres on my car had worn abnormally for a car with only 14k and they should take a look. The tyre is on the rear passenger side.

The dealer has been going back and forth with Nissan Technical and Nissan Europe and having to send them all kinds of geometry measurements from hub to hub and wheel arch height etc. I don't have a clue what is going on, a rear axle problem was hinted at but nobody can tell me when I will be getting my car back. Something interesting that the dealer said to me was that they now have another 3 cars on site with similar problems from different chassis ranges so could there be a manufacturing issue arising that Nissan are not aware of?

Has anybody else with a UK built leaf suffered anything similar?

I have hopefully attached a picture of my tyres, comments welcome.

Also 3 weeks and counting is not really on @NissanGB

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
I took my 2014 Sunderland built Leaf Tekna in for it's first service at 14,000 miles on 30th March 2015 and 3 weeks later I still haven't got my car back as I mentioned to the dealer at the time of taking it in that I believed the rear tyres on my car had worn abnormally for a car with only 14k and they should take a look. The tyre is on the rear passenger side.

The dealer has been going back and forth with Nissan Technical and Nissan Europe and having to send them all kinds of geometry measurements from hub to hub and wheel arch height etc. I don't have a clue what is going on, a rear axle problem was hinted at but nobody can tell me when I will be getting my car back. Something interesting that the dealer said to me was that they now have another 3 cars on site with similar problems from different chassis ranges so could there be a manufacturing issue arising that Nissan are not aware of?

Has anybody else with a UK built leaf suffered anything similar?

I have hopefully attached a picture of my tyres, comments welcome.

Also 3 weeks and counting is not really on @NissanGB
Hi @PoolMarket
Can you email [email protected] with your full name, contact number and car reg please.
I can then pass this onto the head office team to investigate for you.
Sorry for the delay and we do appreciate your patience during this time.
Thanks
^GH

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Looks like the NSR wheel has been caught on a curb when turning left out of a junction. Just doing that once against a high curb can bend the suspension out of align causing that sort of wear on one wheel. It can be popped back into align by a 4 wheel tracking.

Done it myself a number of times. So much so my nick name was curby.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi @PoolMarket
Can you email [email protected] with your full name, contact number and car reg please.
I can then pass this onto the head office team to investigate for you.
Sorry for the delay and we do appreciate your patience during this time.
Thanks
^GH
Hello. I already have a case open with the directors office, do you still want me to email? The person dealing with my case has been less than helpful shall we say!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like the NSR wheel has been caught on a curb when turning left out of a junction. Just doing that once against a high curb can bend the suspension out of align causing that sort of wear on one wheel. It can be popped back into align by a 4 wheel tracking.

Done it myself a number of times. So much so my nick name was curby.
Unfortunately as I am the only driver of the vehicle and have never hit a curb I can say that is not what is causing the issue. The rear tyre on the other side has abnormal wear as well but not to the same extent as the tyre in the picture.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Unfortunately as I am the only driver of the vehicle and have never hit a curb I can say that is not what is causing the issue. The rear tyre on the other side has abnormal wear as well but not to the same extent as the tyre in the picture.
Aha. If it's on both sides then it's a suspension set up issue I'd say.

You'd have thought either Nissan or a dealer doing pre-sale checks would have picked it up. Hopefully get it sorted now Nissan are onto it. Maybe they'll pay for a 4 way tracking to be done and two new tyres? Then get their top brains into looking at the production line.

It's always possible to have a problem with a new car, it's how it's corrected that matters. I'm sure Nissan will do the right thing. (y)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've also never got a curb and take it boringly slow over speed bumps. Is just the one wheel that's wearing.

Look forward to getting it resolved in a few weeks then.
I think it might be worth making your dealer aware of the problem now as my dealer is telling me they also have 3 other vehicles on their site which they are looking at all with different chassis ranges. It might help if Nissan are aware of other people experiencing the same problem.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Do you have a lot of those "speed cushions" in your area (the ones that are three big humps with gaps between that you are supposed to straddle instead of a single hump right across the road) - they always break my tracking so I avoid those roads now.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you have a lot of those "speed cushions" in your area (the ones that are three big humps with gaps between that you are supposed to straddle instead of a single hump right across the road) - they always break my tracking so I avoid those roads now.
Nope, none at all!

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Aren't those the ones that smashed all those low profile BMW alloys? BMW rightly suggested it wasn't their problem and the owners never wanted to admit they smashed over the bumps at 30 mph.

Is this Nissan issue something similar? The extra weight of the batteries across the car rather than just the front (engine) might cause additional stress on the rear suspension? I'd also question whether it was enthusiastic cornering with heavy, low down battery causing increased wear?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,003 Posts
Is it an even wear around the tyre? Anything else anomalous?

I would also consider poorly secured suspension components (too much play in a bush - could be a batch of bushes with the wrong Shore rating - too much plasticiser in), and I'd also wonder if the tyre itself was of a badly manufactured batch, rather than the car.

If there was no other issue in evidence, I'd swap the tyres out and monitor the new ones.

1 - 20 of 1104 Posts
About this Discussion
1.1K Replies
112 Participants
motco
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing