Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1041 - 1060 of 1104 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Update time !!
Car went into dealers to have the clonking, and alignment done, as far as the clonking goes cured now silent no more clonk !
As far as alignment goes on day 1 they took it round to an independant tyre place and the alignment test confirmed exactly what I have been showing them rear right is out of tolerance rear left is marginal.
On day 2 they took it back for another alignment test whats more I have them on dashcam actually saying that the steering wheel is not straight and the tyre guy says that you cannot test this on the roads here as the cambers are bad and that it needs testing on a flat straight road.
The dealers then drove it back to the showroom less than a mile and stated that the axle is not bent and the steering is straight !!! when they have 4 seperate alignments all saying its out of whack !! unbelievable.
I had to get the last alignment test from the tyre company as Nissan "lost" it !
I have emailed my findings and the videos to nissan so lets see what happens next

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have sent emails to both the local dealer and Nissan UK, emails contained dashcam footage of conversations and the second alignment results that Nissan carried out.
So far I have had 2 emails back saying they are looking into the case !
I also sent a letter of intent requesting a full refund under consumer rights act 2015 so now all I have to do is wait for a definitive response

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well here is the reply from Nissan:

Thank you for your patience whilst we investigated your concerns over the Leaf you bought from us in February 2018
As you can appreciate with such technical matters involving the rear axle and the inconsistent results from the four wheel alignment checks we submitted your case with all the readings to the Nissan UK technical department for them to review and report, I have copied in their findings below.

On opening a tech case and submitting all Geo/Tracking prints it was confirmed that the rear axle is not bent and that the vehicle is right on the limits of the wheel alignment for the rear and would advise
for a shim kit to be fitted to bring the alignment more to the centre
It is recommended the replacement of the worn front tyres is required for best results in the wheel alignment

As customer satisfaction is our main priority and as a gesture of goodwill both from Nissan and ourselves we are happy to carry out the above repairs at no cost to you.

I hope you find this outcome satisfactory and I will ask my service department to liaise with you regarding the booking

Please let me know if you require any further details regarding the repair

Game On !!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
My Reply:
I purchased the Nissan Leaf 24Kw from Canterbury Nissan. At the point of purchase I paid £12750.

The Nissan Leaf 24Kw which I have purchased in good faith is unfit for purpose, not of satisfactory quality, and is defective, and has been so since it was built, it is a manufacturing fault.

Since receiving the email from Mr McCabe “offering to fit a shim kit to bring the alignment more to the centre” confirms to me that the axle is indeed bent furthermore Mr McCabe goes on to say “as a gesture of goodwill both from Nissan and ourselves we are happy to carry out the above repairs at no cost to you” the vehicle is under warranty !!

It has become abundantly clear that Nissan UK will go to any lengths necessary to avoid admitting that the back axle is faulty.

I do not find your solution to this issue satisfactory nor do I find it acceptable, with all due respect I refer to my letter dated 16/10/18:

“Canterbury Nissan have had the opportunity to resolve this issue but have failed to do so.
The Consumer Rights Act 2015 makes it an implied term of the contract I have with Canterbury Nissan that goods be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality.

As you are in breach of contract and I've owned the product for less than 6 months and a previous attempt at repair or replacement has also failed, I am within my statutory rights to ask for a refund of up to 100% of the original cost paid.

I await confirmation that you will provide the remedy set out above within 14 days of the date of the original letter.

Lets see what happens

·
Registered
131 Posts
From the Directors Office:

I wanted to keep you updated and let you know that I have been speaking with Terry at Baileys on a daily basis and I am currently reviewing your email and will respond with the next steps in the next few days.

Kind regards

Another wait and see !

·
Registered
131 Posts
This is the latest offer from Nissan:
I am following up on our previous emails, as I have been looking into your concern and discussing this with Terry at Baileys Canterbury and our technical team.

Having reviewed the information provided through to our technical team and seeking guidance on this, I can confirm that the rear axle is not bent and does not need replacing.

As Terry previously stated, the axle is within the manufacturer’s specification but the dealership can make a slight adjustment using a shim kit to bring this more central and I am happy to cover the cost of 2 new front tyres a s a gesture of goodwill. If you wanted to go ahead with this, please let Terry and myself know and we can make the arrangements.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Yes they will be hearing from me !

·
Registered
233 Posts
In other words, they want you to accept the cheaper solution.

If the axle wasnt bent or manufactured wrong to begin with (and this is the play on words they are using as it may not be technically bent), they wouldnt need the shim kit. The fact they are offering the shim is an admission that there is a fault... just they dont want the cost of a new beam to be the solution.

·
Registered
131 Posts
In other words, they want you to accept the cheaper solution.

If the axle wasnt bent or manufactured wrong to begin with (and this is the play on words they are using as it may not be technically bent), they wouldnt need the shim kit. The fact they are offering the shim is an admission that there is a fault... just they dont want the cost of a new beam to be the solution.
Thats my take on it too 4 independant tests, offers of shim kit, actually catching them on my dashcam admitting that the steering wheel is not straight, says to me they havent got a shim to stand on !

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is there a definitive list of VIN's which were affected by this issue? Also, is there a resource which lists which model year axles will fit other model years? For instance, can a 2015 axle fit a 2014 Leaf and fix the issue?
Thanks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Is there a definitive list of VIN's which were affected by this issue? Also, is there a resource which lists which model year axles will fit other model years? For instance, can a 2015 axle fit a 2014 Leaf and fix the issue?
Thanks.
Not as far as I know, and with Nissan's track record I think it highly unlikely that they would publish a list of vin's with the issue, as they would then not be able to deny there was a problem !
As for inter changeable back axles again I dont know, but doubt if they have changed the design, and how would you know the 2nd hand axle your getting has not got the same problem !

·
Registered
678 Posts
how would you know the 2nd hand axle your getting has not got the same problem !
Whilst Nissan won't admit there was a problem, (although they wouldn't be doing out of warranty goodwill repairs if it wasn't an known issue), I would be surprised if they hadn't corrected the manufacturing problem. Cheaper to do that than keep having to replace axles down the line.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Whilst Nissan won't admit there was a problem, (although they wouldn't be doing out of warranty goodwill repairs if it wasn't an known issue), I would be surprised if they hadn't corrected the manufacturing problem. Cheaper to do that than keep having to replace axles down the line.
Indeed but I have a 15 leaf that has the problem, so quite when the fault was corrected at a manufacturing level I dont know, but putting a 15 axle on a 14 chassis might not solde the problem unless you know the history of the 15 axle ie it didnt suffer from uneven tyre wear

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can the rear tyre wear issue cause steering pull? I have the rear wear problem where it looks like I'll have to change rear tyres around every 20K. To be honest I thought I can live with that issue but my steering does pull to the right if the road slopes to the right. It also does seem to wander when driving it s straight line. Would this be a separate issue, or can rear camber cause this?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Can the rear tyre wear issue cause steering pull? I have the rear wear problem where it looks like I'll have to change rear tyres around every 20K. To be honest I thought I can live with that issue but my steering does pull to the right if the road slopes to the right. It also does seem to wander when driving it s straight line. Would this be a separate issue, or can rear camber cause this?
If you mean when travelling along a straight level road your steering wheel is not level then chances are it is the rear axle issue only way to tell for sure is to have a 4 wheel alignment test carried out

·
Registered
131 Posts
Update on my Saga, so I made a section 75 claim against the finance company RCI, heard nothing for 2 weeks and then opened a case with the Financial Ombudsman.
FO must have rattled a cage as I got an email from RCI assigning a case worker, she asked me for details about my claim, so I told her all about it, she then said she would speak to Nissan UK and get back to me.
She did and said that Nissan (suprise suprise) were adamant that there is nothing wrong with the back axle and had closed the case, I then provided RCI with alignment test results showing red bits etc, off she went again to Nissan, again she came back and said Nissan were sticking by their initial judgement, and that there was no more RCI could do as they are financial people and not car people !!.
I said that I had been transparent with providing evidence of the fault where is Nissans evidence to the contrary, at no time have i seen anything from them to prove what figures they have used and measured against to come to their conclusion that there is nothing wrong with the car.

Strikes me that this section 75 is a load of bull if all they do is ask the company and they say no nothing wrong thats the end of it kinda biased if you ask me.
I am still progressing this with the Financial Ombudsman, it aint over yet !!

·
Registered
131 Posts
From RCI this morning !
Thank you for you email and I am sorry that you feel I am not investigating this on your behalf but I can assure you I am not just taking Nissan's word in this matter and remain independent.

“I am not taking Nissans word for it” well who else have you asked ! no one I think that qualifies as taking Nissans word on the matter.

Have you asked for independent tests ? No !

I have spoken to the manufacturer and given them the evidence you provided. Their senior management have also looked into this matter and they stand by the fact that the measurements are within the manufacturing guidelines. As our expertise lies with finance we have to be guided by the manufacturer and the dealers in relation to mechanical issues.

Does this not clearly state that they are just taking Nissans word on the matter !!

The manufacturer have confirmed that there is no defect. If a defect had been found, then the technical team would have confirmed from the report they were provided with and would possibly be looking at replacing the axle. Nissan are not looking to hide anything and confirmed no defect.

Well lets see Nissan's figures and manufacturing guidelines to prove the alignment tests are all ok

The offer of fitting a shim kit and tyres was a gesture of goodwill and was in no way an acknowledgement of a defect.

You don’t offer to do this if it isn’t buggered in the first place

Nissan GB did not have to offer this as the measurements were within the manufacture specifications. Nissan GB also offered to replace the tyres as the back ones had already been replaced,

Replaced as they were worn out at 10300 miles !

so by putting another 2 on there they would have nearly the same wear on all 4.

We acknowledge you have taken this matter to the financial ombudsman and we are happy to supply any information requested.

Unfortunately based on this information we are unable to assist further in the matter and will be closing the case.

Yours sincerely

Looks to me like the little man hasnt got a chance !!

1041 - 1060 of 1104 Posts
About this Discussion
1.1K Replies
112 Participants
motco
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing