Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1121 - 1136 of 1136 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Sorry, don't fancy your chances on a car with minor issues and how old?

In any case they would deduct mucho£££ for the usage already enjoyed.

If you take it to s tribunal a motor engineer will just say that with minor adjustments, car is fully fit for purpose.

Just trying to inject some reality.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Sorry, don't fancy your chances on a car with minor issues and how old?

In any case they would deduct mucho£££ for the usage already enjoyed.

If you take it to s tribunal a motor engineer will just say that with minor adjustments, car is fully fit for purpose.

Just trying to inject some reality.
Already been to Financial Ombudsman who has found in my favour, that is why Nissan are currently doing the repair, Nissan maintained throughout that the car was within tolerance but it clearly wasnt.
Then they sent the tolerances from the technical handbook as evidence that there was nothing wrong and totally shot themselves in the foot.

·
Registered
162 Posts
So Nissan had the car all last week I picked it up on Friday, baring in mind they initially only wanted it for mon and tue.
I asked for the final alignment test result and was given the attached

Looks good right ?
Apparently with these alignment results they could not get the steering wheel straight, I presume this means when driving in a straight line the steering wheel was still offset one way or the other.

I cannot speak to STS until mon to find out more, but I smell a rat !!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Is that possible as there is a steering wheel sensor which maybe relies on the rack being centered, dont know just a guess /
No, adjustment if the trackrod is entirely mechanical. You will create problems with the steering wheel sensor if it is not centered for straight ahead driving. Do you have a copy of the factory tracking adjustment procedure. For example, most cars will require that the factory ride height is measured and then adjusted or the car weighted to get the ride height to spec BEFORE any camber or tracking measurements or adjustments are made. As the suspension height changes, obviously these will also change

·
Registered
162 Posts
Not so much as a procedure but the tech specs

On the drive back from the dealer I noticed a slight pull to the NS, but as it was very windy I cant put that down to tracking.
Checked tyre pressures on the newly fitted fronts NS 32psi Os 40psi so that alone could account for the slight pull to the NS.
Adjusted all tyre pressures and will do a test drive when the weather is OK.
I also have another print out that was given to me by the dealer which I just dont get !

Its not a good copy but apparently after STS had it all in the green apart from one reading in yellow Nissan was not happy as the steering still had an offset when driving so they took it too Treadmark they put it on their system (Hofmann Ssense) and this was the result.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Took it out for a test run along the bit of road that I have used throughout this saga to check alignment and I got to admit whatever they have done it drives straight as it ever will !

·
Registered
365 Posts
Thanks. I did ask before I went and they said it wasn't a problem. Looking at the sheet I now have, it looks like they've referenced to 2013 Leaf specs
View attachment 9856

And this is the rear near side tyre I had changed at 18000 miles. The extreme outside has 1mm tread depth, the extreme inside has 5mm. The off side rear tyre also showed some uneven wear but not as bad as the this one. The fronts still had a minimum of 4mm of tread at this point
View attachment 9857
Yes, this is a reply to a very old post but I thought I'd let people know that after countless emails with Nissan they did finally agree that there was a problem and they would change the rear axle. By this time the PCP was nearly up and I didn't fancy the hassle and real chance that a new axle might not fix the problem so I sent it back to RCI without the fix.

·
Registered
67 Posts
A written admission that there was/is a problem from the factory (Nissan) is a valuable document. How wise it would be to share it with other owners on a public open forum is a moot point, but it would be nice to have sight of the communication as an insurance policy if you would be prepared to disseminate it by PM please.

·
Registered
365 Posts
And now to my second Leaf...
To cut a long story short, this also had abnormal rear NS tyre wear. I had the four wheel alignment measured and sent this to my local dealer along with a lengthy email making sure that I already understood the issues and what I expected to be done. I didn't contact Nissan directly. The dealer was pretty good although it did take some time and three visits, they dealt with Nissan and changed the rear axle under warranty.

Here are my before and after measurements. They're not perfect but the tyre shop seems to think they are not bad for a fixed axle. I'm probably going to buy this car so let's hope the tyre wear is improved.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ah, I see noiseboy, thanks. It would have been handy to have a headed letter from Nissan admitting to a manufacturing fault that covered a particular range of VINs. Holy Grail I suppose. Thanks again.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Ah, I see noiseboy, thanks. It would have been handy to have a headed letter from Nissan admitting to a manufacturing fault that covered a particular range of VINs. Holy Grail I suppose. Thanks again.
I think the Nissan folks are always careful not to admit that there is a manufacturing fault. Looking back at my first Leaf, Nissan suggested that changing the axle would probably resolve the problem but they needed to measure the car first. By this time I'd had enough and never took it back to be measured. I've sent you a PM.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ive just come across this thread.

Ive made a recent purchase of a Leaf Tekna 30kwh registered in Jan 2017.

Would this rear axle problem affect my car?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I believe the design flaw was fixed before 2017. I had uneven wear on my 2013 car but its 30kWh replacement bought in June 2017 has been perfect.

The 30 is still on original tyres after 29k miles. Tread down to 4mm all round so will replace in a few months.

1121 - 1136 of 1136 Posts