1 - 20 of 68 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I hope it's D for Droptop!
That would be cool, have heard the following suggestions already

D - Dual as in Dual motor (AWD)
D - Deluxe - long wheel base for chinese market
D - Model D - new car based on same drive unit
D - Diesel - probably the least likely :)

Super Moderator
Lol at diesel, that would be quite a departure...!

It could well be the "3", I am thinking the S is an S Class competitor, the D could be positioned between C Class and E Class...?

Registered
Looks to me like a Model S from the front (or, more accurately, it doesn't look like the front of the Model X) so I'd guess it's not a new model but a variant on the S.

Registered
The headlights look a lot like the Model III as well as the S.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tesla/87868/tesla-model-3-to-challenge-bmw-3-series-pictures

I had just decided on the i3 and now I don't know what to do again! Nice problem to have I suppose.
Ah, I'd forgotten that there had been Model 3 pics made public.
Does the S have that chrome vertical curve beside/beneath the indicator? If not then, given that it's clearly visible in the original pic, I'd have to concede that you might be right.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Ah, I'd forgotten that there had been Model 3 pics made public.
Does the S have that chrome vertical curve beside/beneath the indicator? If not then, given that it's clearly visible in the original pic, I'd have to concede that you might be right.
I think the model III pictures are renderings based on the 20% smaller than a model S rather than something official that Tesla put out

Administrator
I think the model III pictures are renderings based on the 20% smaller than a model S rather than something official that Tesla put out
Indeed. AutoExpress photochopping at its most deceptively discreet (they usually state something like "as our intern has dreamt up here using current vehicles stuck together". Not in that article though.

Registered
I thought I'd seen them in a more official release but it looks like I'm mistaken (and, to answer my own question earlier, it looks like the S does have those chrome strips by the indicators) - so I'll go back to my original assumption, this is something new on the S.
But it's all guesswork really.

Registered
The "D" is in the same typeface as the "P" on P85+. So my guess would be dropping the 60 and introducing a new battery pack.

D = Distance - perhaps a 125kWh pack. It would seem like logical progression to me.

Registered
Can't imagine it an new model, X not due out until next year, Model 3 a few years away, no way they unveiling another new model out already

I think its most likely some new options, or Deluxe as posted by Jon

1 - 20 of 68 Posts