Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

About to buy a 30kw, advice needed

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Roomster Richard 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

As the title says I'm in the market for a 30kw leaf and been looking at a few options. I'm hoping I can get some leaf spy advice once I've been to see a couple of cars.

My main question for now is.....3.3 or 6.6? The 3.3 charge would be more than quick enough for me at home and as I'll mostly just be using to commute that's fine, but if and when I use it for other journeys would the 6.6 be an advantage? Does anyone know rough charge times say for example from 20%-50% for both 3.3 or 6.6?

Thanks

#2 ·
6.6kw or 7kw as is commonly known, is advantage if you don't have the time to wait for the charge.
With the rapid ChaDeMo stations being within 10 miles range as we currently have this becomes irrelevant.
If overnight charge takes you 4 or 7 hours doesn't make a difference it will be down to price. How much you will save if you don't go for the 7kw?
Is it worth the extra? ok you will have a higher value for it but you will be paying more so one will compensate the other if you are willing to make the initial investment.
I've said several times here, it is down to your budget and how much you're willing to spend.
I would be more interested in SoH and mileage than how fast you can charge the battery, that's where your attention should be.

#5 ·
Thanks for your responses.

With the rapid ChaDeMo stations being within 10 miles range as we currently have this becomes irrelevant.
I hadn't realised there were so many, just checking the zap-map app and there are a few n my cummute if needed. I'm guessing I'd be able to plug in to any ChaDeMo charger listed in this app?

Not really sure why you'd want to stop at 50% or indeed wait till you'd got down to 20% before starting. I'm sure most people would charge overnight until at least 80% - maybe even 90% .
I was indeed just thinking about charging while out and about. I hadn't realised the maths was quite that simple, thanks for clarifying. So the only additional time would be going to 100% and balancing the cells?

So looks like the 6.6 isn't really a necessary addition for me, especially as I'll be using just the 3 pin plug at work for a small boost to get me home.

I would be more interested in SoH and mileage than how fast you can charge the battery, that's where your attention should be.
I've got my OBD on order then I can get out and check a few of the cars I've seen on autotrader. I'll come back for any advise on this if that's OK?

#3 ·
Leaf30 with 6.6kW are rarer. While once in a while I miss not having it in my car. I'm hoping to join EDF V2G trial this year.

OVO adjust neve trial in place and what you get it a 7kW ChaDeMo charger.

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

#4 ·
Does anyone know rough charge times say for example from 20%-50% for both 3.3 or 6.6?
For a 30kWh battery, charging from 20-50% would need 30% of 30kWh - i.e. 9kWh. At 3kW that would take 3 hrs ; at 6kW only an hour and a half.

Not really sure why you'd want to stop at 50% or indeed wait till you'd got down to 20% before starting. I'm sure most people would charge overnight until at least 80% - maybe even 90% . Even charging from 20% to 80% is only going to take 6hrs or 3hrs so either version is perfectly adequate for overnight charging at home. If you're on a journey & need a charge, you'd surely try and find a rapid charger - in which case the rating of the onboard charger becomes irrelevant.

#8 ·
The only real advantage of the 6.6 kW charger is if you want to take a big charge during a limited period of low cost electricity such as the 4 hours of Octopus Go - 3.6 kW gives around 3 kW so 4 hours is 12 kWh (around 45-55 miles) or the 6.6 kW 24 kWh (about 90-110 miles). Other tariffs exist and the option of "Rapid" charging allows quick top-up from say 20-80% in under 40 minutes.

Reactions: Roomster Richard
#9 ·
Hi,
I'm looking at 2 similar cars in Glasgow, 30kw similar milage. I'm in Manchester so not round the corner, I asked about getting full Leafspy reports and they say they wouldn't let that be performed in their cars, they are only willing to give me the official Nissan report.
Anyone any experience of this and any suggestions?
Thanks

#11 ·
What have they got to hide, hmmm?

"My" 2016 Acenta 30kWh, 3.3kW charger, was sourced by my local Wakefield Nissan dealer, car away down Essex. Dealer services, sells used Nissans.
Wish I'd had Konnwei KW902 dongle & LeafSpyPro, you live & learn.

12 battery bars can mean down to just over 85%SOH.
Usable capacity new is 27kWh, mine now at circa 25kWh. 30kWh is headline-figure, gross. 3kWh held back as buffer to assist battery longevity.

Gather the 24s are usable 22kWh at new.
Keep us posted!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.