Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So I will be finalising the finance etc today for my new zs ev. My question is that I am getting a granny cable with the car but the dealers own website says I will get a free type 2 cable. Are they one and the same thing? What cables were you supplied with when you got your car.
Cheers馃榿

Registered
ONTO/Evezy 拢50 Code: CADA7
A type 2 cable is for using public charge points at up to 7kW. A Granny cable is a slow charging cable for plugging into a regular 3-Pin domestic socket. They aren't the same thing, so you should confirm with the dealer exactly what is included.

Registered
Generic type 2 granny leads are available second hand on eBay for 拢120 or new for 拢160, so even if you want one it's not a deal breaker. The current state of the market gives you control up to a certain point.

Registered
MG EZS 2020
You're very lucky to be getting a free type 2. Most dealers don't give them away (most other makes come with a type 2 and no granny). If you don't get one free I recommend 'Third Rock Energy' at thirdrockenergy.co.uk. They are reasonably inexpensive, deliver quite swiftly and are reliable.

Personally I would have prefered MG to provide a type 2 cable and not a granny cable. Once your home charger is fitted it could be a long time before you may use the granny cable again. I've now got 2 of them (one from first Zoe) and trying to get rid of the spare is a no go because you can't sell them for anywhere near the price paid for them.

Registered
By default they only come with the granny charger, if you have a generous dealer you may get a type2. If not buy one, you will need it at the majority of public charge points. Make sure its rated for 7kw. Don't both with 3-phase, the MG won't take it.

Registered
So I will be finalising the finance etc today for my new zs ev. My question is that I am getting a granny cable with the car but the dealers own website says I will get a free type 2 cable. Are they one and the same thing? What cables were you supplied with when you got your car.
Cheers馃榿
Until 30th Sept there鈥檚 an offer on that includes a free charge point, type 2 cable and 3 years servicing.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all the useful information. The car will come with the granny cable only it seems. I will only be using public chargers though so the granny cable will not be used much. I'm in Scotland so I believe Chargeplace Scotland have cables attached to their chargers but the Tesco I go to has a free 7kW charger which needs a cable to work.
The car comes in about two weeks. It's the blue one and I just love the sunroof:)

Registered
ONTO/Evezy 拢50 Code: CADA7
Thank you for all the useful information. The car will come with the granny cable only it seems. I will only be using public chargers though so the granny cable will not be used much. I'm in Scotland so I believe Chargeplace Scotland have cables attached to their chargers but the Tesco I go to has a free 7kW charger which needs a cable to work.
The car comes in about two weeks. It's the blue one and I just love the sunroof:)
Only the rapid chargers tend to have the cables attached. And if possible you shouldn't really be relying on them all the time if you want to help keep your battery as healthy as possible. If you don't get the type 2 cable included in your offer you'll definitely need to get one.

Registered
Welcome.
It鈥檚 an Exclusive model of course !.
Can I suggest that the MG interior Protection Pack is worth a look at.
I think it鈥檚 about 拢130.00 and includes a full front and rear set of tailored mats, the front pair have the ZS EV logo stitched into the bottom corners.
You also get a full protective boot floor liner, brilliant if you have any pets.
And also, front & rear mud flaps.
Pretty good value I think ?.
There is also room for a spare wheel and tyre under the boot floor cover.
Not many new cars offering this facility these days, usually just an inflation kit which is pretty much 鈥淧ants鈥.
If you go for the MG space saver kit, it will fit into the wheel well and you can still use the lower setting of the boot floor cover to maximise all of the boot space.
You could fit a full size spare wheel & tyre, but you will have to raise the boot floor covering to the higher setting due to the size.
I went for the emergency space saver kit, I think it was around 拢130.00 mark again.
I also purchased some MG locking wheel bolts, not from the dealer, much cheaper on line.
Genuine MG bolts though.
Bet you can鈥檛 wait !.
Had mine since the 6th of January, love it !.
You will get the comfort pack upgrade done on the PDI check.
That will sort out a lot of the issues that early customers complained about.
Regarding the Type 2 cable, some dealers gave one to their customers, but the majority of them did NOT !.
I purchased mine on line from 鈥淥ne Stop EV鈥檚鈥.
Just Google it - 32Amp carrying cable was my choice.
Enjoy !.

Registered
Brilliant - thank you. I will have a serious look at the interior protection pack - looks very good value :)
The boot liner appears to be made from a water proof type of material which is great to catch any small spills.
I bough some potting grit from the garden centre last week, when we got home the orange sandy water had leaked from the small holes in the side of the bag.
It was just resting in little pools on the boot liner.
Brilliant for pets with wet or dirty paws I should imagine?.
I think you could even remove it and hose it down.
I have never tried it, but it looks like it would take it no problem.
Strange material, it is flexible like rubber, but it does not give off a rubber type smell ?.
What ever it is, it certainly works well thats for sure.
If you go for the mud flaps, they are secured to the car with black self tapping screws that I assume come in the kit.
They are mild steel and rust within a couple of weeks.
Change them out for stainless steel screws instead !.
Somebody on the forum has found some black stainless screws and washers from Amazon that are much better quality.

Registered
I thought I鈥檇 chip in here rather than start a new thread. I鈥檒l be ordering imminently. Looking forward to getting an EV. It does look like there鈥檚 reasonable incentives at the moment. The swappage scheme seems to be a bit of a swiz (higher APR on PCP) that works out as not great value for anything but a nail in part ex.

Journeyman Human
By default they only come with the granny charger, if you have a generous dealer you may get a type2. If not buy one, you will need it at the majority of public charge points. Make sure its rated for 7kw. Don't both with 3-phase, the MG won't take it.
A "generous dealer" is an oxymoron! I mean no offence by this, but the very nature of the job precludes it. Better to say, if you can haggle well, you may get one! ;)

Registered
If it helps, I asked for the granny lead, the type 2 lead and the protection pack. My local dealer said no, so I drove 30 minutes down the road to the next dealer who was happy to help!

Registered
If it helps, I asked for the granny lead, the type 2 lead and the protection pack. My local dealer said no, so I drove 30 minutes down the road to the next dealer who was happy to help!
Vote with your feet is a good policy I adopt.
I tried three different dealers and could not get any movement from anyone of them.
I had no trade in and refused any of the 鈥淎dd On鈥 goodies they like to make good commission on.
No PCP or Lease deals either, just the car, plain and simple, with every bit of discount taken at the time, I also wanted the 拢200 discount because I did not require the wall box either, already had one.
They only had what ever profit they had on selling the car, all they offered was a free tank of fuel !.
Three different dealers in three different franchise鈥檚, not moving on any free gifts of cables etc.
I guess offering a free charging cable is easy to achieve if you take one or all of their products, or are trading in your old car.
Then finding 拢130 to cover the cost of a so called 鈥淔ree Cable鈥 to make the customer feel he has had something for free is then easy.
Yes, it would have been nice to get a gift of a free cable, but given the price I paid for the car, together with the private sale of my previous car ( which never cost me anything to advertise ) then it is hard to complain about having to purchase my own cable !.
My Dad use to say :-
鈥淵ou get nothing for nothing in this world son鈥.
How right he was - bless him.

Registered
Just a quick comment about the 'Granny cable'. We visit the mother in law about 4 or 5 times a year in Manchester a round trip of 360miles. The granny charger is essential if you vistit someone without a fast charger. It works very well as we leave leave it on everynight whilst visiting and the car is usually full by 8am every morning. I have never had a need for the type 2 cable as it only charges at 7KW I believe (fast charge rate) so unless you have to use it at work or somewhere then I have not missed having one in the car. Depends on your personal circumstances.

Registered
I鈥檓 not sure how you managed to evade the deal I posted above that is applicable right now?
Vote with your feet is a good policy I adopt.
I tried three different dealers and could not get any movement from anyone of them.
I had no trade in and refused any of the 鈥淎dd On鈥 goodies they like to make good commission on.
No PCP or Lease deals either, just the car, plain and simple, with every bit of discount taken at the time, I also wanted the 拢200 discount because I did not require the wall box either, already had one.
They only had what ever profit they had on selling the car, all they offered was a free tank of fuel !.
Three different dealers in three different franchise鈥檚, not moving on any free gifts of cables etc.
I guess offering a free charging cable is easy to achieve if you take one or all of their products, or are trading in your old car.
Then finding 拢130 to cover the cost of a so called 鈥淔ree Cable鈥 to make the customer feel he has had something for free is then easy.
Yes, it would have been nice to get a gift of a free cable, but given the price I paid for the car, together with the private sale of my previous car ( which never cost me anything to advertise ) then it is hard to complain about having to purchase my own cable !.
My Dad use to say :-
鈥淵ou get nothing for nothing in this world son鈥.
How right he was - bless him.
The current cable and charge point and 3 years servicing thing is manufacturer supported......

it鈥檚 a campaign just like swappage.

Registered
Mine鈥檚 coming with a granny and a Type 2 cable, Rolec charger*, and 3yrs servicing.

*trying to see if they鈥檒l do any options for something better or may just cancel it and use the grant myself.

Registered
Mine鈥檚 coming with a granny and a Type 2 cable, Rolec charger*, and 3yrs servicing.

*trying to see if they鈥檒l do any options for something better or may just cancel it and use the grant myself.
Like your line of thinking !.
The "Granny" charger is standard equipment.
Because I already had a charger, and used the OLEV grant some three years earlier, they knocked another 拢200 - 拢250 off the price of the car.
Is the 3 years servicing in with the standard price of the car, or at a discounted rate through a PCP deal ?.
If not, well done !.
And a free Type 2 cable, jackpot !.
Can I ask, did you / or will you be trading in your OLD car by any chance ?.

Registered
Yes will be part exing. Best guess I鈥檇 get maybe 拢500 more selling tops. Px price better than we-devalue-any-car places, so not much loss there.

the servicing,type 2 and charger are the 鈥減eace of mind promise鈥.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts