Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Tried out ABRP on Apple CarPlay yesterday. I was presented with a screen saying that CarPlay is a Premium feature and it would not launch. Has anyone who is a Premium member of ABRP tried out the app via CarPlay?

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve tried it but only very briefly so can’t really say how well it works on a long journey. I think it will be something that continues to improve along with the rest of the ABRP service.

The video in this tweet gives a flavour of the CarPlay functionality.

Please feel free to use my referral link below to take advantage of a 30 day free trial for ABRP Premium.

abetterrouteplanner.com/ref/ZEKCMVXW

·
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At £48.99 a year I don't think I'll be using it.
I’m 99% sure I’m right in saying it’s possible to start and stop the premium subscription on a monthly basis.

So (if that is the case) you can just activate it for certain months when you are doing particularly long journeys - summer holidays etc.

·
Registered
Kona 2020 Premium SE 64kW
53 Posts
I’m 99% sure I’m right in saying it’s possible to start and stop the premium subscription on a monthly basis.

So (if that is the case) you can just activate it for certain months when you are doing particularly long journeys - summer holidays etc.
You're quite right, it is possible to get a monthly subscription but maybe I'm too tight to pay that 😉

·
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're quite right, it is possible to get a monthly subscription but maybe I'm too tight to pay that 😉
🤣 Don’t forget, 30 day free trial if you use my referral link for your next long journey - then it won’t cost you a penny for one summer holiday trip or whatever it may be (and as long as you remember to cancel it!).

(Just to note, as I understand it, the referrer doesn’t gain anything if the referee cancels - only if they decide to keep the subscription and start paying 😉).

·
Registered
Kona64
1,548 Posts
Must be a Kona thing, same here. o : )

It is a good app tho, great for What If planning esp Stelvio , Gilbralter , Mo I Rana and Ullapool type dreams.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The annual subscription is a bit on the steep side I agree. I never intended to purchase it at that price but would gladly buy it monthly for any trip to continental Europe. I found it really useful on my last trip through France. I think PlugShare (also excellent for continental Europe) is intending to enable the app for CarPlay at some point. Thanks for the free trial referral code Bill N!

Reactions: Bill N

·
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very welcome @RicM. To be honest, I’ve only really kept my subscription rolling on through the lockdowns because I felt like I wanted to support ABRP and help them to keep improving. Plus, I used it a lot, for free, before there was a premium option so was happy to contribute to their growth.

I may well switch to just turning it on and off as required though, particularly as there are some aspects of it which just frustrate me and aren’t being fixed / improved as quickly as they really should be. That, and also the fact that with the Kona I think I will have a lot less need for it except for on specific trips a few times a year.

·
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
The annual subscription is a bit on the steep side I agree. I never intended to purchase it at that price but would gladly buy it monthly for any trip to continental Europe. I found it really useful on my last trip through France. I think PlugShare (also excellent for continental Europe) is intending to enable the app for CarPlay at some point. Thanks for the free trial referral code Bill N!
Chargemap (which I’ve used several times in France) also has a CarPlay app now.

·
Registered
Kia Soul 30Kwh, 2018
58 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul 30Kwh, 2018
58 Posts
Brilliant!! Just subscribed to a month premium yesterday. About to try first 'long trip' requiring 4 charges each way in a 30kwh Kia soul from Cornwall to W.Mids next week. Not so nervous having found ABRP and happy to see Android Auto compatibility coming along....
Regards the fiver a month subscription ( pause as required) I was putting anything from £90 - £270 petrol a month into my last fossil burner, so another fiver on top of the £5 to £30 I'm putting into the Soul is well worth the investment into the ABRP service as it's my main potential source of anxiety (IMO) 😉👌

·
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Regards the fiver a month subscription ( pause as required) I was putting anything from £90 - £270 petrol a month into my last fossil burner, so another fiver on top of the £5 to £30 I'm putting into the Soul is well worth the investment into the ABRP service as it's my main potential source of anxiety (IMO) 😉👌
Very much agree with this and, ultimately, if we EV drivers want people to be able to keep developing tools like this then they need to be sustainable, so I’m very happy to stump up and contribute to it.

I found ABRP just after getting an i3 2 years ago, and though it was much more basic back then, it still worked brilliantly and completed eliminated range anxiety for me. I still had charger anxiety occasionally back then, but thankfully that has now almost been eliminated too, thanks to the advances that have been made with the infrastructure.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts