Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone explain why A Better Route Planner seems to think I'll spend less time charging at Osprey units versus others when they are all rated 50kW?

I'm stumped, would appreciate any insight...

·
Registered
307 Posts
The rate that your vehicle accepts charge will be affected by far more than the power output available at the charge point.
Mostly, it's down to how the battery management system of your vehicle will accept the charge, which will depend on the state of charge of the battery and the battery temperature.
So you may plug into a 50kW capable DC charge point, but the vehicle may only be ready to accept 40kW or less for a period.

ABRP will try to take this into account based on known charge curves for different vehicles.
The time it suggests to stay at each charge point will be based on the charge level that you will need to reach the next stop in your journey with an adequate charge, so ABRP often will suggest a really short charge of less than 10 minutes en-route, rather than arrive at a destination with less than enough charge to reach the next charge point.
ABRP will also take terrain into account, so the route via each of those charge points may require more or less charge to complete the next leg of the journey based on the route in question.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand about charge curves etc. but I cannot fathom how ABRP decides which chargers are 'faster' than others.

In my example here it is suggesting that approx 17kWh will be taken on at each stop, yet some chargers will take 20 mins whilst others are more like 30 mins.

Changing the route doesn't appear to change this so I don't think it's predicting thermal throttling or anything like that..? It is specific chargers that it thinks will deliver higher power.

Perhaps the Osprey chargers do deliver 50kW where the CPS ones are delivering closer to 40kW, and ABRP have harvested that data from people that have the live data/ABRP premium set up?

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,200 Posts
The answer might be simpler but you won't like it and I expect no one will agree with it.

ABRP are steering you to an Osprey charger. I alleged that they were sponsored by Osprey and there is nothing on the ARBP owners website that states they don't receive sponsorship.

I found when I first tried it that it was taking me to Osprey chargers even if it meant driving past other (free) chargers. In one case, I'd arrive with just 10% SOC having driven past several Rapids 10miles back.

ABRP owners: Iternio – Better Route Planning for Electric Vehicles

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV
35 Posts
I used ARBP just a few times and didn't pay attention that much. But, can it be the time spent derouting from your main route?
For example, Nae limits cafe, A9 is on your route and entrance is on the road. But Gynack Road Car Park needs 3.5mins each way to going in and out. So, it adds 7 mins?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used ARBP just a few times and didn't pay attention that much. But, can it be the time spent derouting from your main route?
For example, Nae limits cafe, A9 is on your route and entrance is on the road. But Gynack Road Car Park needs 3.5mins each way to going in and out. So, it adds 7 mins?
Ohhh, I hadn't thought of that. Perhaps? Seems a bit odd that they'd include that as part of the charge duration rather than driving time...

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,301 Posts
Can anyone explain why A Better Route Planner seems to think I'll spend less time charging at Osprey units versus others when they are all rated 50kW?

I'm stumped, would appreciate any insight...
View attachment 147311
I think the actual answer is probably that it’s factoring in the amount of kW the car pulls from the charger decreasing after the first 2 sessions, due to the battery heating up.

Does the Soul suffer from reduced charging speed with multiple rapid charging sessions?

Maybe try reversing the route in ABRP and see what comes out?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the actual answer is probably that it’s factoring in the amount of kW the car pulls from the charger decreasing after the first 2 sessions, due to the battery heating up.

Does the Soul suffer from reduced charging speed with multiple rapid charging sessions?

Maybe try reversing the route in ABRP and see what comes out?
Not tried reversing the route, will have a go.

I have done 500 miles in a day in the heat and never had any issues with thermal throttling, the cooling has always kept up.

Perhaps in warmer climates though it is a problem?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unless the charge locations are exactly half-way, you will get different results.
Tried reversing and some of the suggested charge points are the same. Again, 20 min stops at Osprey and 30 min for CPS...

None of this matters of course, but it is rather confusing.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,301 Posts
Unless the charge locations are exactly half-way, you will get different results.
Yes - it’s requires some adjustment to get a similar journey in reverse - but is possible. I did it in fact (added each charger as a way point), but the results in terms of charging times were the same in broad terms - with Osprey quicker….so I’m not sure what the reason is.

Would recommend OP posting on the ABRP forum - or just emailing ABRP about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts