Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been playing around with it in advance of a long-distance trip in our ID.3 Tour. It puzzles me that ABRP never seems to be willing to give me the shortest and most straightforward route (Coquelles/Reims/Nancy/Colmar) and instead routes through Belgium (Coquelles/Lille/Namur/Luxembourg/Metz/Strasbourg/Colmar). The route is considerably longer and requires more charging stops. I tried different times of day so it is not connected to traffic, and does not seem to be connected to charger availability (preference set to Ionity). Google Maps consistently goes for the French route via Reims and then Nancy when checked at the same time, which is almost 100km shorter.

Any ideas what is going on here? Is it trying to avoid French motorway tolls?

The distance from the Ionity charger south of Reims to that north of Colmar is 309km on the shortest route, which should be quite doable on the Tour?

Many thanks in advance!

All the best

Andreas

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eurotunnel terminal Coquelles, then either one charge at Aire de Rely or prior to boarding at Ionity Exit 11 on the M20, depending on traffic out of London. I guess the key question is the reliability of the Aire de Champagne Sud charger. Using Ionity at Aire de Gueux west of Reims adds km and time.

All the best

Andreas

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Try the route with a long range Tesla and it does indeed take the shorter route. I suspect it simply thinks the car wont make it?

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Try the route with a long range Tesla and it does indeed take the shorter route. I suspect it simply thinks the car wont make it?
Infact, if i try the route with a big battery ID3 it also routes thru Reims. Does the Tour have the smaller pack?

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,507 Posts
It looks like it’s because it’s allowing for a 3rd charging stop if you force it to go via Reims. Going via Belgium only requires 2 stops.

(Starting from London with 100%)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks both, got it. The Tour has the 77kW battery set, and I do indeed get exactly the route that is shortest if instead I enter a Model S 2021 Long Range into the system.

So yeah, better not be too optimistic over the legs...

All the best

Andreas

·
3,507 Posts
In reality, there’re are a multitude of factors that could make a different route preferable to another on the actual day..traffic, weather forecast & especially headwinds in certain areas, reported charger failures etc.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quite. Also added 75kg as cargo, which presumably makes a difference too.

All the best

Andreas

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for taking the time to check and taking the screenshots, much appreciated!

All the best

Andreas

·
3,507 Posts
Weight apparently makes very little difference except on sections of a route involving significant elevation change (or I expect lots of stop start traffic).

·
3,507 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to check and taking the screenshots, much appreciated!

All the best

Andreas
No problem. If you haven’t already, check out the Tronity app/service which you can link to your VW ID account and to ABRP to get the battery % updated automatically in ABRP.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Superb, just done that, many thanks!

All the best

Andreas

·
Registered
861 Posts
I have done the Nancy - Colmar route a few times but it is not one I would choose; Reims, Metz, Strasbourg is fastest and simplest (although we usually cut out Strasbourg and overnight at Obernai). BUT, that’s in a diesel motorhome so probably not helpful! We prefer the Autoroute toll roads as they are better equipped and I would have though are well provided with charging points.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you so much! I like the tolled autoroute because at least in the past you tended to get fewer trucks than on the other routes.

All the best

Andreas

1 - 16 of 16 Posts