1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First cold wet weather in the Zoe.

No AC with heating.

F-ing great.

If I press 'AC' button I bl00dy expect AC. What's the freakin' point of an AC button if it DOESN'T give you AC!?!?!

The whole point is that it will demist.

Every single car I have been in made since 2012 will NOT give you AC on demand.

Really damned sick and tired of it.

Useless rubbish cars.

Useless.

Oh, yeah great, electric blah blah blah, and they all steam up in cold humid conditions.

Absolute freak nonsense. Please don't tell me how superior these shit boxes are.

(P!ssed off Zoe/Ampera/Soul owner)

·
29,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't you use to have a Fluence, Donald? I'm sure mine works okay.
That was the last car that did. 2012.

However, with AC and heat both on, and at 70mph, it had a range of 45 miles. Hardly kicking that issue's arse very far.

·
29,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Use rain X anti fog, works for me no issues.
It doesn't dry the air.

I want to breath dry air, not soggy damp air.

If I wanted to breath soggy damp air I'd stick an old sock over my head rather than waste good money on a new car.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,098 Posts
Think the corsa E does both. I have it on auto and it specifically says to turn on AC and leave it. There are other things that it does that will annoy though...

Leaf steamed up like a bastard. Had to keep putting it on window setting to clear the front. If you hit AC in the leaf I think it turned it off auto too.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Amusingly enough i discovered something interesting about the LEAF just yesterday. I've always found on a longer trip the LEAF just kinda gives up on blowing warm air. It starts off warm to get the cabin up to temp, then after 20-30mins i end up freezing and have to turn the temp up to silly levels like 23-24c to get it to start actually blowing warm air again....

Yesterday however it was absolutely pouring when i collected the kids, windows got steamed up as we were all soggy and damp so i turned heat and AC on, set to 21c, and oh look! it actually continued blowing hot air the whole way home and cleared the mist away pretty quickly, and kept it away. I presume running the AC forced it to keep the heater on otherwise the cabin would turn into a fridge.

Does sound rather shite that it wont do that on the Zoe. On our Audis it runs the AC basically all the time, you have to choose "ECO" mode to disable the AC pump otherwise its always on.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'm sure you'll be thrilled to know that the Tesla Model 3 does allow AC + heat + recirc simultaneously.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,088 Posts
Pretty sure my Zoe does heat and AC at the same time.

Is this the @donald curse?
My ZE50 turns off the AC when I turn up the heat or press the window demister button. If I then press the AC button again the air doesn't seem to stay hot.

I seem to remember older models being just fine with this, same with other brands too.

That said I'm not impressed with the ZE50 heating in general. I can't get any better than slightly warm air, it never seems to get properly hot.

·
Registered
609 Posts
My ZE50 turns off the AC when I turn up the heat or press the window demister button. If I then press the AC button again the air doesn't seem to stay hot.

I seem to remember older models being just fine with this, same with other brands too.

That said I'm not impressed with the ZE50 heating in general. I can't get any better than slightly warm air, it never seems to get properly hot.
Mine is identical.. ze40 was blew much colder when cooling and actauly was hot when on hi setting. Ze50 is rubbish. Comparatively

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,088 Posts
Mine is identical.. ze40 was blew much colder when cooling and actauly was hot when on hi setting. Ze50 is rubbish. Comparatively
If I can find a good Q90 at the right price I'm going back without hesitation. With the creaking, leaking, DC charging failures, useless HVAC system, and infotainment system that's even more buggy than the original R-link I'm super disappointed.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
It doesn't dry the air.

I want to breath dry air, not soggy damp air.

If I wanted to breath soggy damp air I'd stick an old sock over my head rather than waste good money on a new car.
What's your definition of dry air? Not exactly something I'm familiar with in the UK.

·
29,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm sure you'll be thrilled to know that the Tesla Model 3 does allow AC + heat + recirc simultaneously. View attachment 134199
Having the buttons to do it proves absolutely zero.

I suspect you are right because EVs with restive heaters should have two separate systems for heating and cooling, and I believe Tesla have not gone down a heat pump route?

Still, are you sure it never turns off the AC for you? Really, I doubt that it doesn't.

·
29,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What's your definition of dry air? Not exactly something I'm familiar with in the UK.
Drier air than outside.

If you can't tell the difference then you're unlikely to be able to tell if your AC is running.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Amusingly enough i discovered something interesting about the LEAF just yesterday. I've always found on a longer trip the LEAF just kinda gives up on blowing warm air. It starts off warm to get the cabin up to temp, then after 20-30mins i end up freezing and have to turn the temp up to silly levels like 23-24c to get it to start actually blowing warm air again....
It happens in all cars (that I have ever owned, at least) but the Leaf seems to be a particularly bad example (I've had x4, and they've all been the same).
Approved solution*: set the lowest temperate that will give heating effect (set it too low, then increase until you hear raised fan speed). Any time you cease to feel warm, tap the temperature up one click (0.5C) and only one click! By the time you get to 21C, the system will be 'stable' and blowing the required warm air. T'other way round for cooling.

I suspect that either the sensor is too buried in the dash and doesn't respond fast enough, resulting in overshoot or it overshoots deliberately (for 'comfort' or demisting, maybe).

* This solution has the highest approval rating possible. SWMBO has stopped moaning about being too cold.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts