Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are running an ABT e-transporter in our business and it is a great van for our local needs.

Just wondered if anyone else owns or runs an ABT e-transporter and is managing to charge it ok at home?
We are managing really well with a 3 pin plug at the moment and have rapid charged it a couple of times. Is anyone else charging the e-transporter on a 7.2kw wallbox at home and what times are you getting.

The reason I am asking is that I have been in contact with VW over the cable that is provided with the van. a 20A cable. My complaint to them is that I would have presumed they would provide a 32A cable seeing as it states the van can charge at 7.2kw/h. They are now digging themselves a hole and have said it won't charge at higher than 3.6kw/h on single phase electricity no matter what cable is used and even with a home charger fitted?!

This sounds a bit of an odd reply and I think I need to test it out on a wallbox charger, but does anyone have experience of this?

thanks

·
Registered
484 Posts
Give us an idea of where you live and I'm sure some kind person on the forum would allow you to try their home charger.

If you happen to live in North Devon you can try ours!

·
Super Moderator
11,951 Posts
They are now digging themselves a hole and have said it won't charge at higher than 3.6kw/h on single phase electricity no matter what cable is used and even with a home charger fitted?!

This sounds a bit of an odd reply and I think I need to test it out on a wallbox charger, but does anyone have experience of this?
EDIT: The brouchure says the van has a 7kW on-board charger. 7kW is also widely reported in reviews.

You can ask VW for compensation or perhaps reject the van if it only charges at 3.6kW.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The same problem happened on the e-Up. I think it is all to do with the fact that 3 phase power is more common at home in Germany than here. On the e-Up it required a software update to enable the quicker charging on single phase power. It also explains the wrong charging cables that came with the first of the large capacity e-Golf in 2017/18 some people on here got VW to swap the cables for the large one from memory.

This is the e-Up thread

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Give us an idea of where you live and I'm sure some kind person on the forum would allow you to try their home charger.

Thank you for the offer. We are in Herefordshire. We have a local 7kw bppulse charger so I a going to try it on that. Presumably those are single phase?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
EDIT: The brouchure says the van has a 7kW on-board charger. 7kW is also widely reported in reviews.

You can ask VW for compensation or perhaps reject the van if it only charges at 3.6kW.

Thanks. Yes the brochure states 7kw using a wallbox. And the VW dealers referred us to an EV installer and we also had quotes locally, but we decided to wait as we may move house soon. We purchased our own 3pin EVSE home charger (none supplied with the van) and luckily that is working for us fine.
They have offered a free service but I'm not sure if that is sufficient compensation? This is a lease van and a very low price per month and it is a really great van, lovely to drive. I was wondering whether as a commercial vehicle they expect you to charge at a workplace, but even then I'm not sure those would have 3 phase necessarily?

We have a 20A cable that came with the van and I have obtained a 32A I can also try with it, so I am going to test it on the local 7kw BP Pulse to see what charging times I get and video it for evidence.

Luckily it rapid charges!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The same problem happened on the e-Up. I think it is all to do with the fact that 3 phase power is more common at home in Germany than here. On the e-Up it required a software update to enable the quicker charging on single phase power. It also explains the wrong charging cables that came with the first of the large capacity e-Golf in 2017/18 some people on here got VW to swap the cables for the large one from memory.

This is the e-Up thread

Thank you so much, I will have a read through this.
VW go to the trouble of making them right hand drive for the UK market, you would think that checking the charging infrastrure would be a similar specification requirement?

·
Super Moderator
11,951 Posts
Many contintal EVs have 3 16amp (3.6kW) on board chargers that will charge at 11kW on 3-phase power. Some, like the BMW i3 can put two of the chargers in parallel to charge at 7kW on single phase 32A. Others can not.

VW has gotten this wrong before. So did Mercedes with the B200e.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We are running an ABT e-transporter in our business and it is a great van for our local needs.

Just wondered if anyone else owns or runs an ABT e-transporter and is managing to charge it ok at home?
We are managing really well with a 3 pin plug at the moment and have rapid charged it a couple of times. Is anyone else charging the e-transporter on a 7.2kw wallbox at home and what times are you getting.

The reason I am asking is that I have been in contact with VW over the cable that is provided with the van. a 20A cable. My complaint to them is that I would have presumed they would provide a 32A cable seeing as it states the van can charge at 7.2kw/h. They are now digging themselves a hole and have said it won't charge at higher than 3.6kw/h on single phase electricity no matter what cable is used and even with a home charger fitted?!

thanks

This is the e-Up thread

I have the E Transporter but I don’t seem to be able to charge the van past 68 miles. Even at home. I know fast charging only does 80 percent but I was under the impression that 82/83 miles was the range. I am using 3 pin home charge cable

another issue I am having is the heaters just don’t blow hot air

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have the E Transporter but I don’t seem to be able to charge the van past 68 miles. Even at home. I know fast charging only does 80 percent but I was under the impression that 82/83 miles was the range. I am using 3 pin home charge cable

Are you in eco mode when the heater doesn't work? - on the early e-Up and maybe the early e-Golf, the heater didn't heat in eco mode just in normal or performance mode.

Reactions: andrew*debbie

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

The max range we get is around 71-72 miles and that is loaded up and we have roof bars fitted. I find if I do some longer journeys, I get more miles range the next morning when it is fully charged. If we only do short journeys it gives us less miles, if that makes sense. Our heaters are ok and heated seats and air con is good.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I get this may work for very local journeys but the overall range seems terrible. Would love one but need 150 miles shame as lease pricing amazing. Clearly they are not selling!

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue , maximum range achieved when fully charged is 68-70 miles
Just wondered if you found out any more
Understand the actual drive range varies , but not being able to actually charge to the 80 -82 specified and loosing the 10 mile range isn’t ideal considering the range is limited

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have the same issue , maximum range achieved when fully charged is 68-70 miles
Understand the actual drive range varies , but not being able to actually charge to the 80 -82 specified and loosing the 10 mile range isn’t ideal considering the range is limited
How are you charging your etransporter Clive? Are you using a three pin or home/work charging point? Although the range only shows us 70 miles when we charge, we did a 17 mile trip the other day and only used two miles of range, but that was a good weather day.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
The predicted range is just a guess based on previous driving habits, it's not an indication of battery capacity.

·
Registered
3 Posts

thanks
Hi,

I’ve 2 E Transporters and have been on to my local dealer since April regarding this issue!
I collated a fair amount of data and sent copies of the brochure which stated 7.2kw charging and mentioned 5.5hrs to fully charge! Within 24hrs VW had removed this from their online brochure and stated ”charge Over night” lol

Both vans have had a software update and this has not resolved this charging issue. I am waiting to hear back from the local dealer who have agreed to pay out compensation due to the fact that I’m not able to fully charge within my low rate tariff!

I’ve also been talking to myEnergi as I have 2 of their Zappi chargers. They informed me that the E golf had the same issue (now resolved) and advised me to keep shouting as the more of us that shout the sooner VW will get an update sorted to resolve this issue.

other than this, the vans are fantastic

·
Registered
3 Posts

It’s not any particular charger, even the units at Vw and the Vw sponsored ones at Tesco charge at 3.4kw max! the issue is within The vehicle!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts