Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
EDIT: The brouchure says the van has a 7kW on-board charger. 7kW is also widely reported in reviews.

You can ask VW for compensation or perhaps reject the van if it only charges at 3.6kW.

Your spot on! Well The brochures used to say 7Kw until I presented them with a stack of photo evidence that 3.4kw was max and the brochure was changed overnight!

we all need to stick together on this as they are not doing what they were advertised to do, 5months of hassling my poor local service manager is a bit of a ball ache!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hi,

I’ve 2 E Transporters and have been on to my local dealer since April regarding this issue!
I collated a fair amount of data and sent copies of the brochure which stated 7.2kw charging and mentioned 5.5hrs to fully charge! Within 24hrs VW had removed this from their online brochure and stated ”charge Over night” lol

Both vans have had a software update and this has not resolved this charging issue. I am waiting to hear back from the local dealer who have agreed to pay out compensation due to the fact that I’m not able to fully charge within my low rate tariff!

I’ve also been talking to myEnergi as I have 2 of their Zappi chargers. They informed me that the E golf had the same issue (now resolved) and advised me to keep shouting as the more of us that shout the sooner VW will get an update sorted to resolve this issue.

other than this, the vans are fantastic
Hi NRGr6

Glad they are helping you with compensation, they have agreed the same with us. I did the same and took it up to the Executive Office of VW. Its just so frustrating that this wasn't thought about in the first instance.

We love the van, it really is perfect for our needs. which is why it is such a shame they cannot simply retrofit with an onboard charger that can charge on single phase at 7kw?

Are you getting 3.4kw on your Zappi at home?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I’ve 2 E Transporters and have been on to my local dealer since April regarding this issue!
I collated a fair amount of data and sent copies of the brochure which stated 7.2kw charging and mentioned 5.5hrs to fully charge! Within 24hrs VW had removed this from their online brochure and stated ”charge Over night” lol

Both vans have had a software update and this has not resolved this charging issue. I am waiting to hear back from the local dealer who have agreed to pay out compensation due to the fact that I’m not able to fully charge within my low rate tariff!

I’ve also been talking to myEnergi as I have 2 of their Zappi chargers. They informed me that the E golf had the same issue (now resolved) and advised me to keep shouting as the more of us that shout the sooner VW will get an update sorted to resolve this issue.

Hi,

We just got delivery of our e-Transporter and are very disappointed with the restriction to 3.6kW/h charging too. You mentioned you have a copy of the old brochure that states it can charge at 7.2kW. Of course only the new one is available on the VW site. Would you consider sending me a copy of the old brochure you described? It's the one we used to decide our purchase, but we didn't print or keep a copy.

Chris

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have got the 2021 Volkswagen transporter electric when it was delivered the range was 75, a 7.2 kw charger was installed at my premises but I would be lucky to charge to 60 never 70 or 80 most of the time it will only charge you 46 very disappointed contacted Volkswagen come back with a load of rubbish, he said would only charge to the distance the vehicle was last driven, if I charged a torch up I would expect the light to be bright not of charged them what is going on.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,867 Posts
I have got the 2021 Volkswagen transporter electric when it was delivered the range was 75, a 7.2 kw charger was installed at my premises but I would be lucky to charge to 60 never 70 or 80 most of the time it will only charge you 46 very disappointed contacted Volkswagen come back with a load of rubbish, he said would only charge to the distance the vehicle was last driven, if I charged a torch up I would expect the light to be bright not of charged them what is going on.
You are looking at the predicted range, which will vary due to all sorts of reasons such as temperature, and the way you drove last time. This is completely normal for electric vehicles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

Im at the dealer now with the same complaint. I can only charge at 3.6kwh. One of the sales team runs a transporter abte every day and charges it up on site. He says it fills the battery up by the end of the day. But that's probably because he has a 32 amp cable and his van seems to work with it. I also have a 32 amp cable from my Zoe but I cannot get 7.2 kWh. I also tried CCS rapid. It didn't work at all. The dealer does not have the answers but are trying their best to resolve the problem.....I will keep you updated....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

I’ve had a etransporter for 6 months. Charging at home with a pod point wall box the range is getting lower every week Vw say it’s the wall box not working properly. pod point say it’s the wrong cable supplied. I’m down to 46 miles on a full charge. so it does charge. Just rubbish range. I should of got a Vito

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve had a etransporter for 6 months. Charging at home with a pod point wall box the range is getting lower every week Vw say it’s the wall box not working properly. pod point say it’s the wrong cable supplied. I’m down to 46 miles on a full charge. so it does charge. Just rubbish range. I should of got a Vito
I'm not too bothered about the range but I am concerned that vw have breached trading standards by making claims of a vehicles charging speed that I'd not attainable. I think that's the route I will take. This is clear mis-selling.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,400 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
How do you know this? Are you measuring the current or relying on how many miles are added to the range?

This is more significant. Have you tried a different Rapid to ensure its not that charge point?
I know that because I calculated the amount charged kw/h by the time spent. It's easy maths. I also have another electric vehicle that charges at 7.2 kWh and I know the difference.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,400 Posts
But how did you measure the kWh?

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,867 Posts
You are probably just seeing the effect of the lower temperatures on the range. This is a question that comes up every winter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ie: 3 hrs charge and 10kw used divide 10 by 3.33kwh speed
Good news. I have finally got my etransporter to accept CCS rapid charge!
Step 1
Do not plug in the cable to the van. Bad mistake.
Step 2
Initiate the charge on the charger and wait till it says plug into the vehicle. Then plug it in and finally it will charge.
What a relief!
It's like the end of constipation! Ha ha

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm really happy to have discovered this forum and thread. The news isn't good but at least it's a known issue and VW will do the right thing and address the issue.

I have a Project EV home charger rated to 7.2kw and it's deffinately not charging my new e-transporter to that rate. I spoke to Project EV who remotely looked at the data from my charger and confirmed it's charging at 3.6kw and believed either the cable or vehicle was restricting the charge rate.

I spoke to a VW Commercial vehicle service manager and he lacked any real knowledge. I queried the range not offering 82 as expected and he did say the suggested range after a full charge is affected by previous driving and usage. This makes sense as after I have improved my driving efficiency the suggested range is improving after full charges.

I'm sure I've read that this vehicle can charge up to 50kw with a DC charger that can charge to that rate. I'm not sure what the next steps should be but I think we should all make our concerns clear to VW. Strength in numbers.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,400 Posts
DC charging - see the post before yours
AC charging. What cable have you got, single phase or 3 phase? Does the cable have markings on it like 3 x 6.0 or 3 x 2.5?
The range estimate on the dash is often referred to as the GOM - short for Guess-O-Meter. It takes a recent average of your consumption and multiplies it by the remaining battery. In the cold weather, the wet or fast driving and your range will plummet. My LEAF GOM varies between 80 and 130 miles at 100% charge, your van will vary even more given the aerodynamics and load capacity. Incidentally, my LEAF should do 150 miles, so not even close except on the flat at 30 MPH in the warm weather.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I Have not tested the rated to 7.2kw as i always charge over night about 10 hours so always get a full charge but if this is true and its only 3.33kwh and was sold as 7.2kw i will be looking for some for of compensation.

One thing i noticed with the range is that the dial on the right is always accurate but the middle one that states the range is always off, see these two pictures first at the start of my day the 2nd half way through. As you can see i drove 23 miles but the range only went down by 7 miles
Speedometer Plant Steering part Vehicle Car

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm really happy to have discovered this forum and thread. The news isn't good but at least it's a known issue and VW will do the right thing and address the issue.

I have a Project EV home charger rated to 7.2kw and it's deffinately not charging my new e-transporter to that rate. I spoke to Project EV who remotely looked at the data from my charger and confirmed it's charging at 3.6kw and believed either the cable or vehicle was restricting the charge rate.

I spoke to a VW Commercial vehicle service manager and he lacked any real knowledge. I queried the range not offering 82 as expected and he did say the suggested range after a full charge is affected by previous driving and usage. This makes sense as after I have improved my driving efficiency the suggested range is improving after full charges.

I'm sure I've read that this vehicle can charge up to 50kw with a DC charger that can charge to that rate. I'm not sure what the next steps should be but I think we should all make our concerns clear to VW. Strength in numbers.
I Have not tested the rated to 7.2kw as i always charge over night about 10 hours so always get a full charge but if this is true and its only 3.33kwh and was sold as 7.2kw i will be looking for some for of compensation.

One thing i noticed with the range is that the dial on the right is always accurate but the middle one that states the range is always off, see these two pictures first at the start of my day the 2nd half way through. As you can see i drove 23 miles but the range only went down by 7 miles
View attachment 154206
I recently contacted Vw about the range issues they are not really interested it’s all about how many vans they get out the door. I’ve got a pod point charger 7.2kw. It’s never charged at that rate. The van came with a 20amp rated cable which I’ve been told is insufficient to charge at a full rate. Im going down the route of asking for refund on the van. Due to being misold a product It doesn’t do what they say. Was the 82 mile range being driven down hill

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,400 Posts
hese two pictures first at the start of my day the 2nd half way through. As you can see i drove 23 miles but the range only went down by 7 miles
By the "one on the right" you mean the dial showing the amount of charge in the battery? That's totally different to the range estimate which is both an estimate and based on a combination of the figure in the dial multiplied by your recent average consumption in terms of miles/charge. Clearly your driving between the two photographs was more economical than before the first photograph, possibly due to speed, cold, wet roads, hills, load in the van and any number of other factors including that VW may have made a mistake - Nissan did after selling EVs for over 5 years.
Was the 82 mile range being driven down hill
Probably, also wind assisted and on a nice warm day with the van empty at an average of 20 MPH. :ROFLMAO:
The van came with a 20amp rated cable which I’ve been told is insufficient to charge at a full rate.
Well, you will not get much more than 3kW in the battery with that cable on single phase even if the van is capable of more. Try borrowing a thicker cable and see what rate you get then. Whereabouts in the country are you?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all. I have had my van almost two weeks now and get max 53 mile range on a Full charge. Have driven it around 140 miles now and run the battery down to 1 mile left on ramge in the hope it would change the range after a proper drain of battery and Full charge but still max I got was 53 mile ramge after a 8 hour change on a 3 phase project Ev charger installed at work. Any help would be appreciated as dealer only says it needs to calibrate which I tried without success.

Car Speedometer Trip computer Odometer Motor vehicle

Speedometer Tachometer Gauge Trip computer Odometer

Speedometer Tachometer Trip computer Car Gauge

21 - 40 of 81 Posts