Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
Audi eTron 55
1,057 Posts
You are looking at the predicted range, which will vary due to all sorts of reasons such as temperature, and the way you drove last time. This is completely normal for electric vehicles.
And indeed for all conventionally fueled vehicles, as well.

There are two separate issues being discussed in this thread. The first is that the van will only charge at 3.6kW on single phase. This is a known issue, VW have got this wrong before with other vehicles. It was advertised incorrectly in the UK, and if you don't like it, reject the vehicle. You have every right to do so, you have been mis-sold.

The second is range. The key thing to understand here is that you don't charge up in miles - you put energy into the battery, measured in kWh. The range shown is an estimate based on that energy capacity and the vehicle's consumption. The low ranges indicated are a result of high consumption. To confirm this, look at your average consumption in kWh/100 miles, or whatever your favoured units are, and calculate the energy required to go for the distance indicated by the vehicle's GOM at full charge. It will be approximately the stated useable battery capacity. If it's way less, you have a battery fault. But in 99.9% of cases, it won't be. It's consumption due to driving style, load, heater use etc. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,400 Posts
Hi all. I have had my van almost two weeks now and get max 53 mile range on a Full charge. Have driven it around 140 miles now and run the battery down to 1 mile left on ramge in the hope it would change the range after a proper drain of battery and Full charge but still max I got was 53 mile ramge after a 8 hour change on a 3 phase project Ev charger installed at work. Any help would be appreciated as dealer only says it needs to calibrate which I tried without success.

View attachment 154300
View attachment 154301
View attachment 154299
Is that a van or a racing car? ;) With an average consumption of 41.2kWh/100km (~1.5miles/kWh) you are using the battery capacity very quickly and with only 37kWh capacity you can only expect 50-55 miles (37*1.5=55.5 max). If that's not sufficient and you cannot/will not drive more economically then it's unsuitable for you - reject it and buy one with a bigger battery.
As previously the charging is an issue if you don't have 3 phase.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve got a etransporter. The range will only get worse the colder it gets It’s like driving a normal van with the fuel gauge on empty the dealer will tell you anything they think you want to hear. But they do drive nice

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,400 Posts
What's your average consumption? I'm still shocked at post #41.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I bought the van I was told a range of approx 98miles on full charge but was told that realistically it be around 87

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,400 Posts
So consumption of 2.4 miles/kWh (higher is good) or in terms of your dash 26 kWh/100km (note lower is better for this figure). That's believable if the van is efficient and driven carefully. Too much speed or weight, cold or wet weather, and you'll get less.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,400 Posts
as dealer only says it needs to calibrate which I tried without success.
run the battery down to 1 mile left on ramge in the hope it would change the range after a proper drain of battery and Full charge
Your dealer is talking out of his backside.
The basic issue is the efficiency that you are achieving (1.5 miles/kWh) when you need to achieve 60% better (2.4 miles/kWh). Low efficiency could be poor design, cold/wet weather or bad/overweight driving. If you can't drive more efficiently and can't accept the range in poor weather you need a different van.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your dealer is talking out of his backside.
The basic issue is the efficiency that you are achieving (1.5 miles/kWh) when you need to achieve 60% better (2.4 miles/kWh). Low efficiency could be poor design, cold/wet weather or bad/overweight driving. If you can't drive more efficiently and can't accept the range in poor weather you need a different van.
bit late now had the van two weeks and can use only for local. This figure is with an empty van as not even started to use for work yet!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,400 Posts
It's not too late unless you have invested a lot in signwriting etc. Legally you are fine.
Given that you are driving unloaded and the weather isn't stupidly cold, what sort of journeys and speeds are you doing?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
8,370 Posts
One of my brothers is a gas engineer, he drives everywhere with a lead foot between jobs.

The thought of using an electric van fills him with horror, especially one that would be 50 miles between charges driven like he does.

The AC charging speed issue sounds like it will be solved by supply of the correct 32A charge cable. The supplying dealership should be able to sort this for anybody who is using a 20A cable.

It’s basically an e-Golf battery and drive train in these isn’t it, they should be pretty bullet proof.

Whilst this thread has lots of disappointed new owners in it, given that in the cold and with less than careful driving (eg high speed) my old e-Golf would be low on charge around 110 miles, I’m not surprised that a much bigger and heavier van could be half that.

It seems that the e-transporter is aimed at folks requiring a van for deliveries/multiple drops in a big city, where speeds are low and distances covered not that high.

I would be speaking to the supplying dealers and asking if they’ve really sold you something suitable for your requirements and were truthful in all their promises.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's not too late unless you have invested a lot in signwriting etc. Legally you are fine.
Given that you are driving unloaded and the weather isn't stupidly cold, what sort of journeys and speeds are you doing?
I am doing local miles and with a 52 mile max range can not even go to Heathrow for pick up of goods as it is 64 miles return. driving is on local roads in town start stop etc.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,400 Posts
Right, I know that I sound like your Dad :oops: :rolleyes:, but not 70 MPH on the motorway, leaving the heating on with the doors open, racing people off of the lights, etc.
It's not fit for purpose, reject it.

·
Premium Member
8,370 Posts
I am doing local miles and with a 52 mile max range can not even go to Heathrow for pick up of goods as it is 64 miles return. driving is on local roads in town start stop etc.
To be honest, even if you were getting the max advertised e-Transporter range (WLTP 82 miles?), knocking 64 miles off before you even start a days work doesn’t sound very practical?

I don’t think the van is faulty, it is what it is, but sounds like you’ve been led to believe it will do something that it really won’t, no doubt exacerbated by a seller who doesn’t really understand what they’re selling and keen to just get the sale.

It might be difficult to reject it as faulty, but clearly sounds like you’ve been sold something that won’t work for how you need to use it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
no so nothing like that, yes heated setas, heating on daily, and then norml driving, LOL 70 mph i can not get it to go over 56 MPH seems to be limited. Can anyone make out at what rate this is charging on a 3 phase 22kw charger.

Communication Device Portable communications device Gadget Mobile device Font

·
Premium Member
8,370 Posts
no so nothing like that, yes heated setas, heating on daily, and then norml driving, LOL 70 mph i can not get it to go over 56 MPH seems to be limited. Can anyone make out at what rate this is charging on a 3 phase 22kw charger.

View attachment 154367
From the screen you’ve put in 8.77 kWh in 1hr 16m so roughly 7kW.

Very few EVs will pull 22kW from a 22kW charger unless they’re designed to. The e-transporter isn’t one of them I don’t think.

The chargers are actually on the van, yours has two of them (L1 and L2) you can see they’re capable of 16A each or thereabouts, hence the near 32A charge speed you’re seeing.

It would need a third on board charger to get 11kW, and if all three chargers were 32A only then would you see 22kW.

·
Registered
950 Posts

View attachment 154367
About 7kW

Charging rate (kW)
= power delivered (in kWh) divided by time (h)
= approx 8.77/1.25
= approx 7kw

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,400 Posts
As @Tooks , you are pulling about 3.5kW each on only two phases, so 7kW. Is this a feature of your wiring (only two phases available, perhaps a big machine on the other) or of the van?
Edit: No, it's not your wiring, it's the van. Apparently it is only supposed to use two phases. Is this 2021 or 2011?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,400 Posts
I also agree with @Jayne , but am just multiplying the voltage and current on the first two phases:
239.4*14.6~3,500W each.

Reactions: Jayne

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,400 Posts
Ok, as your Dad I believe you. ;) There's no reason not to reject the van if that's the range - it's unsuitable if it is that short. Don't forget it'll get worse as it gets older, maybe only slightly but you have none to spare.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts