Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
8,370 Posts
Ok, as your Dad I believe you. ;) There's no reason not to reject the van if that's the range - it's unsuitable if it is that short. Don't forget it'll get worse as it gets older, maybe only slightly but you have none to spare.
Whilst I agree that the e-Transporter sounds like an electric van that won’t meet everybody’s needs from such a vehicle, how easy is it to reject an electric vehicle based on it not meeting it’s advertised WLTP range?

I think the best chance would be to approach the supplying dealer and say you were sold something that wasn’t fit for your stated requirements and hope they play ball.

The problem here is that the van doesn’t appear to be faulty, so straight up rejection will be difficult.

With presumably even EV Van residuals silly high though, it might give the dealer room for manoeuvre to swap it for something more suitable for the users needs.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,400 Posts
I agree that there's no obvious fault, but the range is very low which appears to be related to poor design. I've been very critical of e-Trons averaging 2.5 miles/kWh, but that's motorway speeds. 1.5 miles/kWh at town speeds on something of similar size and weight is rubbish.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I also agree with @Jayne , but am just multiplying the voltage and current on the first two phases:
239.4*14.6~3,500W each.
Yep, that's the proper way to do it.

I was just providing the rough and ready version that I find easier to remember.

No idea why I can easily recall V=IR and P = I^2 R but always completely blank on P=IV.

Sent from my XQ-AS52 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
From the screen you’ve put in 8.77 kWh in 1hr 16m so roughly 7kW.

Very few EVs will pull 22kW from a 22kW charger unless they’re designed to. The e-transporter isn’t one of them I don’t think.

The chargers are actually on the van, yours has two of them (L1 and L2) you can see they’re capable of 16A each or thereabouts, hence the near 32A charge speed you’re seeing.

It would need a third on board charger to get 11kW, and if all three chargers were 32A only then would you see 22kW.
great so at least it has a 7kw charging instead of the 3.4KW as many have reported.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As @Tooks , you are pulling about 3.5kW each on only two phases, so 7kW. Is this a feature of your wiring (only two phases available, perhaps a big machine on the other) or of the van?
Edit: No, it's not your wiring, it's the van. Apparently it is only supposed to use two phases. Is this 2021 or 2011?
this is a Brand new van done under 200 miles and two weeks old, i was also wondering why only two ports are charging?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,400 Posts
great so at least it has a 7kw charging instead of the 3.4KW as many have reported.
Only because you have 2 phases. :rolleyes:
I have sign writting due to go on in 1st week January!

View attachment 154369
That looks good, but will be the point of no return in terms of rejection.

Looking at alternatives, the Vauxhall seems slightly less uneconomical but has 50 or 75 kWh batteries. As the Wife says, size matters, and the combination of a bigger battery and better economy makes all the difference.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Only because you have 2 phases. :rolleyes:

That looks good, but will be the point of no return in terms of rejection.

Looking at alternatives, the Vauxhall seems slightly less uneconomical but has 50 or 75 kWh batteries. As the Wife says, size matters, and the combination of a bigger battery and better economy makes all the difference.
I have a three phase supply? so does that mean it not connect or working properly?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,400 Posts
Your 3 phase is correctly connected to your charge point, but it appears that your van and the specification shows that it only uses two of them. I presume that this is a cost saving measure as it leaves an unbalanced load.
Bluntly the battery is too small and the efficiency too low. I'd get rid of it.

·
Registered
abte e transporter
12 Posts
I have sign writting due to go on in 1st week January!

View attachment 154369
Happy New year,

Did you make your decision regarding the van and signwriting?

I have just had my abte delivered and found the charging issue! Trying to ascertain what to do next.
Makes the octopus cheap rate pretty useless on 10 to 11 hour charge time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good evening,

I have also recently taken delivery of an ABTE, I am also having the same problems as you all are. I am a Carpenter by trade and finding myself in a position where I can get to work but can't go out and get any matrerials that I need during the course of the day, do you think VW will take it back from me as it is not fit for purpose...

·
Premium Member
8,370 Posts
Good evening,

I have also recently taken delivery of an ABTE, I am also having the same problems as you all are. I am a Carpenter by trade and finding myself in a position where I can get to work but can't go out and get any matrerials that I need during the course of the day, do you think VW will take it back from me as it is not fit for purpose...
If it was sold to you as having 7kW charging, then I think you’d have a case.

If it’s that it’s not meeting it’s advertised WLTP range in the winter, then I think that might be more tricky?

·
Registered
abte e transporter
12 Posts
I am waiting to see what vw say, they have requested abt technical look at the charge issue we all have on single phase.
I am finding it a challenge currently about 55mile range. I used a fast charge BP other day as I had to go and get materials for job I'm on so 45p per kW not a cheap option as the abt likes to use those kW quickly.

Does anyone else have the horrid VW dsg gearbox delay before the van goes. Junctions, roundabouts etc are a bit worrying when you accelerate but nothing happens for a bit. Seems mad to press the accelerater before you need to to allow for the delay. Or is it just my van needs looking at? Already need to get it back as the driver window only shuts if you help it up as it thinks there's something in it so bounces down when trying to close it grr!

·
Premium Member
8,370 Posts
Does anyone else have the horrid VW dsg gearbox delay before the van goes.
The ABT Transporter doesn’t have a DSG box?

It’s probably just the issue of getting a weighty van off the line.

·
Registered
abte e transporter
12 Posts
Yes definitely a dsg gearbox in the van.
It is a common issue the dsg has, well documented
Font Automotive tire Motor vehicle Screenshot Terrestrial plant
on sites such as honest John.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,400 Posts
Yes definitely a dsg gearbox in the van.
It is a common issue the dsg has, well documented on sites such as honest John.
But does the van use more than one ratio? I can't believe that it is anything more than a convenient way for an aftermarket* conversion of an ICE product to gain a final drive and differential that all integrates with the existing sub-frame and drive shafts.
* I realise that it is sold through the VW network but it is clearly not their product, less so than AMG or Alpina are Mercedes or BMW.

Reactions: Tooks

·
Registered
abte e transporter
12 Posts
It uses two gears only it has had the rest programmed out apparently. There is also a kickdown that gives full power (pressing pedal beyond resistance gives 100% power ) usual use is about 70%.
It is just the way the drive is transferred through gearbox is delayed I dislike, no such issues in other brand autos I thought the instant torque of electric motor would be better than previous ice auto. Maybe I am being too critical lol

·
Premium Member
8,370 Posts
It uses two gears only it has had the rest programmed out apparently. There is also a kickdown that gives full power (pressing pedal beyond resistance gives 100% power ) usual use is about 70%.
It is just the way the drive is transferred through gearbox is delayed I dislike, no such issues in other brand autos I thought the instant torque of electric motor would be better than previous ice auto. Maybe I am being too critical lol
It will still have the instant torque of an electric motor, it’s just that it will be masked by the gearbox.

The DSG gearbox is actually a pretty good box, but I’m not sure why they’ve used it in this application.

The DSG gearbox can be a bit dimwitted/slower if you’re requesting a gear different to that which has been pre-selected, ie you’re in 3rd, the gearbox map will pre-select 4th but if you request 2nd it has to to undo the pre-selection and there’s a delay.

Sounds like they’ve taken a good gearbox and by using it the way they are, have somehow made it worse.

·
Registered
abte e transporter
12 Posts
It will still have the instant torque of an electric motor, it’s just that it will be masked by the gearbox.

The DSG gearbox is actually a pretty good box, but I’m not sure why they’ve used it in this application.

The DSG gearbox can be a bit dimwitted/slower if you’re requesting a gear different to that which has been pre-selected, ie you’re in 3rd, the gearbox map will pre-select 4th but if you request 2nd it has to to undo the pre-selection and there’s a delay.

Sounds like they’ve taken a good gearbox and by using it the way they are, have somehow made it worse.
Yes that sounds about right, maybe some other abte drivers will comment? My van is particularly bad possibly? Will see what the dealer says when I take it back for the faults to be sorted.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts