Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had AC Cooling suddenly shut off the whole Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) system?

Now the warmer weather has arrived I had the opportunity to use my MG ZS EV after it had been sitting in the sun with AC "on". I ran for about 1 minute then everything stopped! AC HVAC Fan everything, only the AC button remained illuminated. Classic IT fix of cycling the HVAC power by hitting the HVAC power switch twice to turn it off and on again reactivated the system and the fan at the default position 2. So I turned it up full speed again and 20 to 30 seconds later the same shut-off happened. Since I had the sky roof tilled open I left it off allowing the natural ventilation to pull air into the cabin and wondered if perhaps it had iced up like a dehumidifier will sometime do and resolved to ask the forum - but then my wife and I both smelt the slightly acrid smell of hot electrical insulation. There wasn't any smoke and we were now within a couple of minutes from home so we finished our journey.

However, this isn't the first time the AC has stopped after about a minute running. It did it the previous occasion I used it but I was just cooling the car down as I was sitting in it on my drive trying unsuccessfully to get Android Auto working and I put it down to the fact I had the car in Park. Apparently not.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Was the car running only on 12V, or was it on so that the high voltage battery could provide power?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,114 Posts
I've never had my AC or heater cut out on me. I'll test it next time I'm out if I remember. Never had acrid burning smell, usually if you have that it means nothing good.... certainly not on the occasions I've experienced it in previous old cars.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was the car running only on 12V, or was it on so that the high voltage battery could provide power?
Paul, first time, when static on my drive, I had the car in "Ready" state as I was trying to get Android Auto working. This most recent time I was driving and again both 12v and HV batteries were online.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
If you're still getting the oh so familiar smell of burned insulation, I would get the car to the garage asap, IME nothing good comes from ignoring it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never had my AC or heater cut out on me. I'll test it next time I'm out if I remember. Never had acrid burning smell, usually if you have that it means nothing good.... certainly not on the occasions I've experienced it in previous old cars.
Seems like it is a dealership service call then

·
Zoe Devotee
9,114 Posts
Ran my AC for 15mins yesterday while out and no burning smell or cutting off.

A couple of interesting observations though.... 1. the AC is epic, and instant. 2. If you press the AC snowflake it kicks the HVAC on low automatically, when you press the snowflake again the HVAC stays on low.

So far though on the warmest of days in Scotland so far I've found cracking the sunroof and leaving the HVAC off is nice. Draws heat out the roof and pulls cool air through the vents (like my old ICE cars with no AC used to do). Seems an efficient way to get circulation and cool air and maximise mpkWh because the cracked open sunroof seem to not affect economy.

Reactions: Carty and Neilew

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
So far though on the warmest of days in Scotland so far I've found cracking the sunroof and leaving the HVAC off is nice. Draws heat out the roof and pulls cool air through the vents (like my old ICE cars with no AC used to do). Seems an efficient way to get circulation and cool air and maximise mpkWh because the cracked open sunroof seem to not affect economy.
I adopt the same process @Sandy
Not even tested the A/C on my car yet, not a big lover of A/C really.
I prefer natural ventilation unless the car has been parked for a long time on a very hot day, then the A/C is handy to bring down the cabin temp fast.
In the recent hot spell, I find tipping the back section of the sun roof is great.
Some times I just crack the both front windows open about an inch also.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
above a certain speed, aircon is more efficient than opening windows and increasing the drag on the car.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Has anyone else had AC Cooling suddenly shut off the whole Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) system?

Now the warmer weather has arrived I had the opportunity to use my MG ZS EV after it had been sitting in the sun with AC "on". I ran for about 1 minute then everything stopped! AC HVAC Fan everything, only the AC button remained illuminated. Classic IT fix of cycling the HVAC power by hitting the HVAC power switch twice to turn it off and on again reactivated the system and the fan at the default position 2. So I turned it up full speed again and 20 to 30 seconds later the same shut-off happened. Since I had the sky roof tilled open I left it off allowing the natural ventilation to pull air into the cabin and wondered if perhaps it had iced up like a dehumidifier will sometime do and resolved to ask the forum - but then my wife and I both smelt the slightly acrid smell of hot electrical insulation. There wasn't any smoke and we were now within a couple of minutes from home so we finished our journey.

However, this isn't the first time the AC has stopped after about a minute running. It did it the previous occasion I used it but I was just cooling the car down as I was sitting in it on my drive trying unsuccessfully to get Android Auto working and I put it down to the fact I had the car in Park. Apparently not.

Same a/c shutting-off issue showing itself here today while driving, but not noticed any acrid smell. Once it stops it won't restart by itself but after a short wait of perhaps 30 seconds or so, turning the a/c control off and on will restart it, but again it'll go off after a short running time. Running time seems variable from just a few seconds to maybe 15 sec or longer.
Has there been any diagnosis/ fix?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Had my A/C on for the first time both yesterday and today.
Yesterday it was on for about 45 mins and worked just fine ?.
No issues to report, as of yet :censored:

·
Registered
780 Posts
Same a/c shutting-off issue showing itself here today while driving, but not noticed any acrid smell. Once it stops it won't restart by itself but after a short wait of perhaps 30 seconds or so, turning the a/c control off and on will restart it, but again it'll go off after a short running time. Running time seems variable from just a few seconds to maybe 15 sec or longer.
Has there been any diagnosis/ fix?
Having tried the a/c this evening now it's cooler, the system will run for rather longer before stopping so it definitely seems temperature related and would explain why no issue was apparent in the colder months. Maybe there's some heat sensitive cut-out for protecting the system against over-working - if so, it should last forever...

·
Registered
780 Posts
I tried the HVAC again this am, while ambient temperature was about 15 - 16C.
The system ran for a total of 20 minutes, the first 10 were just running fan, the second 10 minutes with the a/c compressor also running. Then auto shutdown occurred.
I'll try later when the temperature has risen and see if its a repeat of yesterday.
I'm thinking that a garage service department will need to check it when the weather is warm otherwise if its cool they might think it faultless.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
I tried the HVAC again this am, while ambient temperature was about 15 - 16C.
The system ran for a total of 20 minutes, the first 10 were just running fan, the second 10 minutes with the a/c compressor also running. Then auto shutdown occurred.
I'll try later when the temperature has risen and see if its a repeat of yesterday.
I'm thinking that a garage service department will need to check it when the weather is warm otherwise if its cool they might think it faultless.
You're probably like me. I'm waiting for the dealer to re-open so someone can fix my non-working reversing camera :(

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ran mine on Thursday, did a click and collect shop at Morrisons. It should have been a 40 mile round trip but ended up at 50 exactly due to road closures. Air con was on continuously including while waiting in Morrisons car park, outside temperature was 25 degrees. No problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Thanks to those who have checked their systems and reported here.
After some experiments I can report that the issue appears to actually be with the fan speed setting. I can set the fan to 3 blobs or less and a/c active at any setting down to coldest and the system will run for at least an hour without interruption.But if the fan setting is increased to 4 blobs then after just a few seconds it cuts out. And will only function again after turning off, waiting for some seconds (maybe 30) and then it functions ok again (fan at 3 blobs). So not completely out of order but a bit of a pain. Anyway I can now give a fairly clear description of the issue to the service dept if and when they are open for business...

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I wonder if the fan blower motor is getting to hot when used on the higher setting and therefore is turning itself off ?.
When the motor Is allowed to cool’s down, it will run again.
Using the fan on a lower speed is preventing the motor from getting to hot ?.
If this was the case, you would expect to smell a little heat being produced by the blower motor getting hot, prior to it shutting down ?.
If so, I would suspect the blower motor.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts