Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed in my MY20 that when I pull away, there is a slight delay, maybe .5 to 1 second. Do I have to live with this or is there a setting somewhere?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
214 Posts
Yes, this is a deliberate minor delay engineered in to Kia EVs, as I understand, to give them less of a hair trigger. Is it an issue? Doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have noticed in my MY20 that when I pull away, there is a slight delay, maybe .5 to 1 second. Do I have to live with this or is there a setting somewhere?
Knock it into Sport mode and you'll feel a difference when pulling away ;)

Around town I generally drive in Eco mode but if I come to a junction where the view of oncoming traffic is more restricted, I will usually engage Normal mode to give me some extra take off speed.

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
Yeah it’s annoying, but I’m not certain whether it’s just a huge “dead zone” on the pedal or an actual delay. Coming from the Leaf it has surprised me a few times when I’ve pushed the pedal at junctions/roundabouts and...... nothing happens! Then whoosh off you go.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Its mapped that way to make the pedal feel more natural to people moving into an EV from an ICE.

Hyundai Ioniq has the same annoyance

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Have you tried to do a manual launch?

I mean put your foot on the brake, put the accelerator all the way down and then release the brake. No auto-hold or anything, maybe turn traction control off too.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq Electric Premium SE 2018 Black
57 Posts
This annoys me too coming from a Leaf30 to a 28kWh HYUNDAI Ioniq which shares the same drivetrain and tech as the old Kia Soul EV. If there is a way to reduce or eliminate this delay, I would ... after warranty expires incase it's something the drivetrain can't handle mechanically or electronically.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 22/9/20 (was Prius)
270 Posts
I’ve not noticed any actual throttle time delay as such. If you properly stomp on the gas in any mode the car just instantly takes off. However, I have noticed a small but very annoying 'dead' band just at the first part of the gas pedal travel when you need to feather it to inch forwards at start off. I need to check this further but I think it only occurs in ECO (and probably ECO+) mode, which is what I’ve used for ~95% of my driving thus far.

If it resolves it. I’ll switch to normal mode for general use I expect, though I will really miss the live miles regenerated pop up icon (it’s very hilly around the Pennines where I live). I really wonder two things here.
Why would they put this dead band there and why would they disable the regen miles indicator on modes other than ECO :unsure:

I don’t buy it that the deadband makes it feel more like a normal car. It just feels wrong. It is really annoying when trying to edge slowly out of a stop junction whilst checking both ways. It feels more like a bug to me.

I think having auto hold set on can sort of exaggerate this issue a bit too.
Peter

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
271 Posts
I always drive in Normal and have not really noticed any delay.

Auto hold certainly causes a little hesitance when taking off. It should definitely not be used during parking manoeuvres since it leads to jerky response.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yup I used Normal mode today. No sign of the dead throttle response at gentle pressure on the gas.
I’ll use that mode from now on instead of ECO.

Thanks for the useful discussion.
Peter

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
I don't use ECO mode, so it's not that. I do have auto regeneration on though, maybe it's still at a "high" level after following a vehicle/sensing an obstruction.

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
Tested this evening and it’s the same in eco, normal or sport. Feels very obvious if you are rolling, come off the accelerator completely, wait a moment, then apply a medium amount of accelerator. Big pause and then lots of torque. Very weird to program it this way!

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
271 Posts
Doesn't sound right to me. I don't have that sensation. It's pretty instantaneous. Maybe go to the dealer?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Tested this evening and it’s the same in eco, normal or sport. Feels very obvious if you are rolling, come off the accelerator completely, wait a moment, then apply a medium amount of accelerator. Big pause and then lots of torque. Very weird to program it this way!
That sounds very wrong to me. I don’t get that at all. Mine’s very responsive, no perceptible delay since switching to normal mode instead of ECO.
Peter

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,638 Posts
I'm not sure I should be talking but I'm concerned that "0.5 to 1s" is really subjective and difficult to judge.

Have you done any testing: just take all necessary precautions, clear straight road, dry conditions, disable relevant safety assists (not ESC!!), warmish battery and tyres, etc. and do a 0-62mph (100km/h). If you are close to 9s, there is an issue with the car. If you are below 8s, you have an issue, but a different one. ;)

·
Registered
339 Posts
I too sense a delay but like Todor said, how long it feels is going to be subjective. 0.5 of a second? Not to me.
I'd estimate a much smaller fraction. Perhaps 0.2 or less. I get annoyed sometimes when the sound from my soundbar isn't quite aligned with the picture on the TV and the adjustment I have to make is often just +/-25 or 50ms ( 0.05 seconds)! So a delay on the accelerator of 0.5 of a second would feel like an eternity. Even the reaction time for braking is often calculated as .2 or .3 of a second so to build in a .5 second delay when you accelerate seems too much.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts