Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a loaner Leaf whilst ours is in for final warranty stuff before expiry.

This new 2800 mile demo 15 plate Accenta is the fastest Leaf I have ever driven and I had driven all variants sold to date.

Leafspy says it is a 63AH battery at the moment, same as our Gen 1 before it was Nissan cared 4 for 3.5 months left at 100% during a previous warranty job :rolleyes:.

Our Gen 1 was never ever this fast by quite a margin though, even before our battery was trashed so I started looking at the relative Leafspy records to get to the bottom of this.

Our 2011 built 2012 registered 2013 purchased Gen 1 used to be quick. It was quicker than any Gen 2 in the first year.

Leafspy now says it has an SOH of 87% and an Hx of 72% and a 16kWh 100% charge capacity.

Loaner Accenta has a SOH of 88% and an Hx of 97% and a 22kWh 100% charge capacity.

Sooooo 16/22 = 0.72 or 72% so I think I now know what Hx is referring to:cry:.

IMHO it is internal battery resistance which is reducing both the volts and amps available to the motor controller due to reduced Ah and voltage sag under load. I suspected that was the case for some time.

So you get reduced range and reduced power with ageing batteries. If I was a betting man I would say that the latter effect outweighs the first by a factor of 2 which come to think of it makes perfect sense as if you are going for range the voltage sag is less of a biggie.

Don't be fooled by the SOH figure folks. That just relates to the 12 bars and even that needs a function applied before it makes any sense due to non linear bars.:eek:

Point 2 in this efficient double post ;).

Anyone successfully bought a Leaf warranty extension?
I have asked for the details from a huge dealer twice now and got no specific information back despite many promises.

Only thing useful I have learnt on that front is that a warranty extention has to be invoked before original warranty expires so you have been warned and there are still 2 weeks to enlighten me please.

Looks like they dont want to sell me an extended warranty for some reason Oh wait...

Fank U:)

Hope that helps...

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
What's the mileage on your Gen1. Those figures seem a little low.

I have an early gen1 that's now 4 years old and this was a LeafSpy screenprint at 12% SOC. Is it healthy or knackered? How do you work out the total kwh etc etc. I think there are 3 or so weak cells, but they recover when fully charged.

upload_2015-10-30_22-3-49.png

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's the mileage on your Gen1. Those figures seem a little low.

I have an early gen1 that's now 4 years old and this was a LeafSpy screenprint at 12% SOC. Is it healthy or knackered? How do you work out the total kwh etc etc. I think there are 3 or so weak cells, but they recover when fully charged.

View attachment 7781
That is a good 4 year battery which clearly hasn't been Nissan cared 4 for 3.5 months at 100% like ours was. Thanks for posting.
I had a very good battery for an ex demo at the start, kept the stats thankfully. Already had 2 cells replaced under warranty at only 38000 miles, self inflicted @NissanGB!?
And BTW @NissanGB if you want to see a problem pack I am willing to let you take it from me in exchange for a new one. I would even pay something for that!
The car is really great but your dealer(s) have ruined an otherwise good experience with the Leaf.

You have nothing to worry about IMHO @MoonCat.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
How do I work out the total kwh of the battery? Or do I need a screen shot from it at full charge? It only goes to about 93% when fully charged, though the levels are more in line and down to 10mv difference. I do worry about the temperature range as one is always lower than the rest and one higher.

upload_2015-10-30_22-22-38.png

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need a later version of Leafspy with 4 or 5 pages (dots) in the lower left hand corner and then it tells you your battery capacity in stored kWhs after charging to any level;). A very good question from a Yorkshireman to another Yorkshireman and a Yorkshireman is a Scotsman with all his generousity beaten out of him and as you can see also very determined not to be had over!@NissanGB you have been warned:D.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So not the free version I've got now? :unsure:
No but it will be the best tenner (Android) or £14 (for crApple badge snobs) you will ever spend other than buying me 6 yorkshire pints:p.
Edit... might only be 5 in Harrogate for a tenner :unsure:.

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
I have noticed the same (the slowdown, not the pint negotiation).

Since my Gen2 went through the degradation cliff there have been a few times where I have thought I was in Eco mode when accelerating. The regen lacks the same level of bite as before too.

I suspect there is a long way to go before we have batteries about which we do not need to worry - probably when the manufacturers can afford to build in some spare capacity (like the ampera).

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
A certain person we all know regularly posts on Twitter an article explaining that we should rent electric vehicles, not buy them, because of battery degradation. Maybe they are right.

·
Super Moderator
7,231 Posts
A certain person we all know regularly posts on Twitter an article explaining that we should rent electric vehicles, not buy them, because of battery degradation. Maybe they are right.
Depends. Your ex PCP car has to go somewhere, so there has to be a buyer, which means there is a price, and if that price is low the cost of the PCP is high. If you have big pockets but won't tolerate range loss then it makes sense, but if one of your motivations for driving electric is lower lifetime cost then PCP is a definite no-no.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Does temperature play a part here? I know mine can go like stink when it's warm, but if it's been left outside undriven for 2 days and then floored, it's not quite as sprightly.

Is it just the 'same' as a traditional engine? Put a few miles/years on them and at cold start they just make more noise when you floor them but don't go any quicker.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, the batteries like to be warm for maximum performance. However that also degrades them more quickly!
Does temperature play a part here? I know mine can go like stink when it's warm, but if it's been left outside undriven for 2 days and then floored, it's not quite as sprightly.

Is it just the 'same' as a traditional engine? Put a few miles/years on them and at cold start they just make more noise when you floor them but don't go any quicker.
This Accenta went like stink from cold or ambient temperature when first collected. After 2 rapids it was of course even faster.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Got a loaner Leaf whilst ours is in for final warranty stuff before expiry.

This new 2800 mile demo 15 plate Accenta is the fastest Leaf I have ever driven and I had driven all variants sold to date.

Leafspy says it is a 63AH battery at the moment, same as our Gen 1 before it was Nissan cared 4 for 3.5 months left at 100% during a previous warranty job :rolleyes:.

Our Gen 1 was never ever this fast by quite a margin though, even before our battery was trashed so I started looking at the relative Leafspy records to get to the bottom of this.

Our 2011 built 2012 registered 2013 purchased Gen 1 used to be quick. It was quicker than any Gen 2 in the first year.

Leafspy now says it has an SOH of 87% and an Hx of 72% and a 16kWh 100% charge capacity.

Loaner Accenta has a SOH of 98% and an Hx of 88% and a 22kWh 100% charge capacity.

Sooooo 16/22 = 0.72 or 72% so I think I now know what Hx is referring to:cry:.

IMHO it is internal battery resistance which is reducing both the volts and amps available to the motor controller due to reduced Ah and voltage sag under load. I suspected that was the case for some time.

So you get reduced range and reduced power with ageing batteries. If I was a betting man I would say that the latter effect outweighs the first by a factor of 2 which come to think of it makes perfect sense as if you are going for range the voltage sag is less of a biggie.

Don't be fooled by the SOH figure folks. That just relates to the 12 bars and even that needs a function applied before it makes any sense due to non linear bars.:eek:

Point 2 in this efficient double post ;).

Anyone successfully bought a Leaf warranty extension?
I have asked for the details from a huge dealer twice now and got no specific information back despite many promises.

Only thing useful I have learnt on that front is that a warranty extention has to be invoked before original warranty expires so you have been warned and there are still 2 weeks to enlighten me please.

Looks like they dont want to sell me an extended warranty for some reason Oh wait...

Fank U:)

Hope that helps...
I asked about extending warranty when I had some work done, extra 2 years or 100000 was about £550 and you can do this from any dealer as you say must be before original warranty expires

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I asked about extending warranty when I had some work done, extra 2 years or 100000 was about £550 and you can do this from any dealer as you say must be before original warranty expires
Could you ever get what it actually covers in writing though?
They tried to fob me off with a standard ICE warranty extension leaflet covering all the irrelevant ICE stuff:confused:
Also I have been told, but have not yet seen, that a 2yr extension is limited to 60K miles and if that is true then at 40K driven in 2 years already it would only make sense to extend one year as beyond 60K miles the cover ends!

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Depends. Your ex PCP car has to go somewhere, so there has to be a buyer, which means there is a price, and if that price is low the cost of the PCP is high. If you have big pockets but won't tolerate range loss then it makes sense, but if one of your motivations for driving electric is lower lifetime cost then PCP is a definite no-no.
I've always been of the mindset that under any finance deal, there are middlemen with salaries and overheads to be paid and that, if you can afford it, you should buy. Especially when your money would be gaining very little in interest sat in a bank account.

Of course, if the manufacturers (or their finance arm) are subsidising these deals to shift the vehicles, then that may change things.

Should I ever decide to go BEV I can see I'll have to be asking you guys some in-depth questions.

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
Hmm, I was told I could take the warranty at any point, provided the car was inspected first. No mileage limit was mentioned either ...

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Have you tried any of the independent warranty companies that advertise all over the place? It would be interesting to know if Quentin Willson's mob would cover you?!
(other petrol head's companies are available, lol)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts