Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a charging point installed at home after buying my Ampera. It was arranged through British Gas, who got another company to do the installation. The unit is described as a chargemaster Homecharge 16A EV Unit (T1), which also has Polar written on the front. Part of the terms of having it installed was that it delivers usage data over a mobile phone network back to wherever. I would like to be able to access that data, but I am having no luck in locating any information about how to do this. Is it possible? If so, is it through a web-site or mobile app? Any details much appreciated.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I thought I had got my home charger through British Gas but when I phoned them up to ask about the very same thing they had never heard of me.

The instructions on the British Gas free charger leaflet say "Apply online at polarnetwork.com". It turns out that if you go to this site (which is an alias for http://www.chargemasterplc.com/) and then click the "Free charger offer" button you end up on a page with a great big red "Apply Now" button. If you click this (which I did) you'll be applying direct to ChargeMaster for your free charger. To apply through British Gas you have to click the tiny little "British Gas" link at the bottom of the page.

Based on the photos in the British Gas leaflet and what my charger looks like, if your charger just says "Polar" on it and not "British Gas / Polar" I suspect you might have done the same thing as I did.

Anyway, when I didn't get any info about the free polar network card or ChargeVision that British Gas promised in their leaflet I phoned them and found out I wasn't their customer. I then emailed ChargeMaster and got a very quick response. They emailed me the username and password for me to log on to ChargeVision the same day and sent me a free Polar Network card.

I suspect that ChargeMaster's free charger offer doesn't really include a free Polar Card but in January, knowing what was going to happen in April I don't expect they cared about giving away a £10 card.

The card has now been misplaced and will probably never be used. The only ChargeMaster chargers locally are at Asda and they're always ICEd. In fact I'm waiting for the time they aren't ICEd and then I'm going to take a photo and send it to @IveBeenIced saying "this is the first time I've ever seen a free space in all my trips to Asda". I'll probably be waiting some time. I won't be using ChargeMaster after the end of March anyway.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
John,
I have access to TWO chargemaster units, one installed at my home by British Gas, the other at a relatives house by Chargemaster. A simple phone call to chargemaster allowed me to arrange that the data produced by both units is available to me online, with a few hours delay.It can then be downloaded for further processing. Hope that helps

·
Registered
136 Posts
I applied for my free charger by going to the Vauxhall Ampera website and clicking on the large British Gas icon. However having taken another look at this I realise that this takes you to the Chargemaster link, although there is a tiny British Gas link at the bottom of the page.

This explains why I have never received any communication from BG as my application has obviously gone directly to Chargemaster!

I think an email to Vauxhall is called for.......

Geoff

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've stumbled across a photo of a British Gas supplied charger on someone's Leaf blog. This confirms what I thought. British Gas supplied chargers actually have a British Gas logo on them. Mine, which as I said above, unintentionally came direct from ChargeMaster, is exactly the same but only has a Polar logo on it.
Yes I have a BG supplied charger and it has a BG logo on it (as well as a Polar logo)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I've never succeeded in getting reliable data - only the odd charge is recorded. I just tried logging in now and am getting a server error....

·
Registered
Peugeot iON 2013, Renault Zoe 50 2020
464 Posts
I logged on to chargevision to check my usage in early February this year (the unit was fitted in May 2013) only to find that the most recent data was July 2013. I powered the unit off & on again (at the breaker for it's dedicated circuit), and it spent the next 3 days uploading the charging data to the website. Unfortunately all the missing charging data is logged as having taken place on these 3 days, not on the actual days. It's a good job I'm not bothered about the data (if I was I would have noticed earlier).

My conclusion is that the unit is not very reliable at sending data to the chargevision website, but it has been very reliable at charging my car :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Does it matter? It's the same hardware, administered by the same company regardless of who actually installs it?
Well only insofar as I felt a bit silly phoning up British Gas thinking I was their customer for it to turn out that I wasn't.

I admit that when I did work out what had happened I didn't care that much.

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it a bit more, it's that I'm feeling a bit annoyed that ChargeMasters' website is deceptive and has conned me into doing something other than what I thought I was doing.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I logged on to chargevision to check my usage in early February this year (the unit was fitted in May 2013) only to find that the most recent data was July 2013. I powered the unit off & on again (at the breaker for it's dedicated circuit), and it spent the next 3 days uploading the charging data to the website. Unfortunately all the missing charging data is logged as having taken place on these 3 days, not on the actual days. It's a good job I'm not bothered about the data (if I was I would have noticed earlier).

My conclusion is that the unit is not very reliable at sending data to the chargevision website, but it has been very reliable at charging my car :)
Mine seems to be logging fine, but it records the time as the time the car was plugged in, not the actual charging time. However, my Polar card turned up so I plugged the car in at Asda, just to give it a try. That charge hasn't been recorded by Chargevision, just the ones at home.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,501 Posts
My home unit is not a Polar/Chargemaster unit but any charges I do at Asda show up for me on Chargevision. Could it be that your card is not linked somehow to your home charger unit?

·
Registered
Peugeot iON 2013, Renault Zoe 50 2020
464 Posts
my history does show both times I've used a chargemaster post (Asda St Austell & Waitrose in Saltash) so my account looks like it's all hooked up. I should go top-up at the chargemaster post near Cambourne so I have the whole set of in-range public charging posts ;-)

·
Registered
145 Posts
My home unit is not a Polar/Chargemaster unit but any charges I do at Asda show up for me on Chargevision. Could it be that your card is not linked somehow to your home charger unit?
Well, the card came with a letter giving me the login details for ChargeVision, so you would expect them to be connected up.

I wonder if this means my charges won't be registered and I'll still get free charging after April 1st? :) (Not really, I won't be using ChargeMaster after April 1st unless it's an emergency.)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I applied for my free charger by going to the Vauxhall Ampera website and clicking on the large British Gas icon. However having taken another look at this I realise that this takes you to the Chargemaster link, although there is a tiny British Gas link at the bottom of the page.

This explains why I have never received any communication from BG as my application has obviously gone directly to Chargemaster!

I think an email to Vauxhall is called for.......

Geoff
I contacted Vauxhall about this and they have acknowledged an error on their website, which has now been corrected. Clicking the British Gas Icon now takes you to the British Gas website.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts