Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When using speed control in city streets be carefull when coming over hill to stopped traffic..,speed control will usually not see the traffic until too late & will run into last car!

·
Registered
197 Posts
a camera which is located high up on the car and can see better than a driver over the crest of a hill
I wouldn't bank on it.

At the crest of a hill I'd be looking down on to the road in front of me whilst the camera is going to be "looking" much higher.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I've not heard of a single case of this occurring and active cruise control has been around for many many years. If a person ran into the road it might not stop either, there will always be edge cases. These systems aren't self driving, so if you did run into the back of something it would be your fault anyway so you shouldn't let the car drive where you can't see.

I have more of an issue with a new poster dropping in and before even saying Hi starts with a negative post with no evidence.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,603 Posts
I've not heard of a single case of this occurring and active cruise control has been around for many many years. If a person ran into the road it might not stop either, there will always be edge cases. These systems aren't self driving, so if you did run into the back of something it would be your fault anyway so you shouldn't let the car drive where you can't see.

I have more of an issue with a new poster dropping in and before even saying Hi starts with a negative post with no evidence.
To be fair it’s a known issue that’s documented in the owners manual.

There’s a threshold speed at which the TACC won’t brake for stationary traffic - something like 40 mph. Otherwise it would keep slamming the brakes on for parked cars and the like.

A guy in Switzerland found this out when a van had stopped by the side of the road. AP drove the car straight into the back of the van.

Going over the crest of a hill is also a known issue that AP doesn’t cope with very well. Also in the manual.

This is why the car tells you to be alert and maintain overall control of the car every time it’s initialised.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
The crest issue with AP is more to do with failing to work out the lines and less so the distance as the perspective has changed and visibility of the lines is impaired - it should still spot an object 1.5M or more high. There are plenty of examples where AP has got it wrong like the example you post, although they don't seem to be related to a crest issue, there's the one approaching roadworks when the car smacked into a concrete barrier as the lanes shifted over.. Its true it could be an issue, but only if you'd go over a crest quickly and blindly, TACC's not a miracle worker, its why I'm puzzled by the post. We could list out a 1000 things it can't do. It can't see traffic lights, it can't see round hair pin bends, etc.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
When using speed control in city streets be carefull when coming over hill to stopped traffic..,speed control will usually not see the traffic until too late & will run into last car!
1. Traffic Aware Cruise Control is for cruising. It's not for city streets.

2. It's well-known, and indeed by design, that it doesn't brake for stationary objects. This is much the same as the similar systems in all other cars. They can gradually slow to a stop if the car ahead does the same, but if you're travelling at 60mph towards a queue of stationary cars they won't ever lock on and adapt their driving speed to match; they'll maintain full speed until the point at which an impact is unavoidable and then AEB will kick in and attempt to mitigate. The reason for this is not because the radar is confused, or the camera is tricked by a hill; it's because this is how it has been designed to operate.

Both of these facts (unsuitability for city streets, and non-detection of stationary objects) are clearly documented in the user manual.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
31,982 Posts
This is what the manual says;-

"
Warning: Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is designed for your driving comfort and convenience and is not a collision warning or avoidance system. It is your responsibility to stay alert, drive safely, and be in control of the vehicle at all times. Never depend on Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to adequately slow down Model S. Always watch the road in front of you and be prepared to take corrective action at all times. Failure to do so can result in serious injury or death.

Warning: Although Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is capable of detecting pedestrians and cyclists, never depend on Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to adequately slow down Model S for them. Always watch the road in front of you and be prepared to take corrective action at all times. Failure to do so can result in serious injury or death.

Warning: Do not use Traffic-Aware Cruise Control on city streets or on roads where traffic conditions are constantly changing

Warning: Traffic-Aware Cruise Control can not detect all objects and may not brake/ decelerate for stationary vehicles, especially in situations when you are driving over 50 mph (80 km/h) and a vehicle you are following moves out of your driving path and a stationary vehicle or object is in front of you instead. Always pay attention to the road ahead and stay prepared to take immediate corrective action. Depending on Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to avoid a collision can result in serious injury or death. In addition, Traffic-Aware Cruise Control may react to vehicles or objects that either do not exist or are not in the lane of travel, causing Model S to slow down unnecessarily or inappropriately.

Warning: Traffic-Aware Cruise Control may be unable to provide adequate speed control because of limited braking capability and hills. It can also misjudge the distance from a vehicle ahead. Driving downhill can increase driving speed, causing Model S to exceed your set speed. Never depend on Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to slow down the vehicle enough to prevent a collision. Always keep your eyes on the road when driving and be prepared to take corrective action as needed. Depending on Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to slow the vehicle down enough to prevent a collision can result in serious injury or death.
"

The painful conclusion I draw from many things that Tesla owners put (unclear if the OP is one, but they obviously have an interest) is that somehow many of them are able to 'make' enough money to buy a Tesla but this ability does not seem to have gone along with intellect and the capability to read simple, and even repetitive, instructions.

It just makes me a bit sad that I spent 8 years of formative training to become a professional engineer so I can make cars for people to buy who can't actually read, whilst for myself I drive around in a 10 year old diesel van.

I have lost the will to encourage my children to do well at school and in English. Clearly it makes little difference. 'Needing to work hard at school' is what the rich people tell the poor kids, so that they can get them to work harder and do the reading for them later on.

(How about that for a thread drift!! :D:whistle:)

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,557 Posts
Same with every other ACC equipped car. I've owned Mercedes and VW group ACC equipped cars, they all recognise slower than a human and completely ignore stationary traffic.

Exactly same with don't trust ACC/TACC when approaching cars stationary at traffic lights.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,603 Posts
This is what the manual says;-

"
Warning: Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is designed for your driving comfort and convenience and is not a collision warning or avoidance system. It is your responsibility to stay alert, drive safely, and be in control of the vehicle at all times. Never depend on Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to adequately slow down Model S. Always watch the road in front of you and be prepared to take corrective action at all times. Failure to do so can result in serious injury or death.

Warning: Although Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is capable of detecting pedestrians and cyclists, never depend on Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to adequately slow down Model S for them. Always watch the road in front of you and be prepared to take corrective action at all times. Failure to do so can result in serious injury or death.

Warning: Do not use Traffic-Aware Cruise Control on city streets or on roads where traffic conditions are constantly changing

Warning: Traffic-Aware Cruise Control can not detect all objects and may not brake/ decelerate for stationary vehicles, especially in situations when you are driving over 50 mph (80 km/h) and a vehicle you are following moves out of your driving path and a stationary vehicle or object is in front of you instead. Always pay attention to the road ahead and stay prepared to take immediate corrective action. Depending on Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to avoid a collision can result in serious injury or death. In addition, Traffic-Aware Cruise Control may react to vehicles or objects that either do not exist or are not in the lane of travel, causing Model S to slow down unnecessarily or inappropriately.

Warning: Traffic-Aware Cruise Control may be unable to provide adequate speed control because of limited braking capability and hills. It can also misjudge the distance from a vehicle ahead. Driving downhill can increase driving speed, causing Model S to exceed your set speed. Never depend on Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to slow down the vehicle enough to prevent a collision. Always keep your eyes on the road when driving and be prepared to take corrective action as needed. Depending on Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to slow the vehicle down enough to prevent a collision can result in serious injury or death.
"

The painful conclusion I draw from many things that Tesla owners put (unclear if the OP is one, but they obviously have an interest) is that somehow many of them are able to 'make' enough money to buy a Tesla but this ability does not seem to have gone along with intellect and the capability to read simple, and even repetitive, instructions.

It just makes me a bit sad that I spent 8 years of formative training to become a professional engineer so I can make cars for people to buy who can't actually read, whilst for myself I drive around in a 10 year old diesel van.

I have lost the will to encourage my children to do well at school and in English. Clearly it makes little difference. 'Needing to work hard at school' is what the rich people tell the poor kids, so that they can get them to work harder and do the reading for them later on.

(How about that for a thread drift!! :D:whistle:)
If the current incumbent in the White House is anything to go by, then you’ll know that the secret to great wealth is not merely to work hard.

Better to be a slimy little toad born into a wealthy family, who can leverage the hard work and money off others.

But yes, I do also wonder about a small minority of Tesla owners. ;)

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,603 Posts
I don't have AP as it was clear from the many comments that it can be a bit random at times so currently in my eyes not worth £5k.

And for that reason, I'm out. (of this argument)
The good news is even if you haven’t parted with any money, the system is working in shadow mode watching you at all times.

Learning your ways, so one day the neural network will be better than most humans and can finally get rid of the weak bag of meat it has to keep warm and ventilated.

This day shall be known as Judgement Day.

·
31,982 Posts
Learning your ways, so one day the neural network will be better than most humans and can finally get rid of the weak bag of meat it has to keep warm and ventilated.
If that means the car drive itself to work and I still get paid, then I'm *in*!!

I suspect I will still be forced to go, though, and I will tend to want some warmth and ventilation on the way..... :)

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,603 Posts
If that means the car drive itself to work and I still get paid, then I'm *in*!!

I suspect I will still be forced to go, though, and I will tend to want some warmth and ventilation on the way..... :)
The machines will make sure you are put to work in some useful way. Probably on a stud farm or similar...

·
Chartered Engineer
1,635 Posts
While I use Autopilot a lot, I am aware of it's issues with stationary vehicles so always override it before this becomes a problem. I use the system almost exclusively on highways anyway - the only typical exception being slow moving traffic. I am puzzled why the AEB system can't handle stationary objects that are off to one side though - I would have thought this would be a standard use case. It's not been a problem to me so far and I am quite comfortable with the fact I'm responsible but it does seem odd. An equivalent or better Autopilot system will be a major factor when I come to replace my Model S - it's the dog's danglys for my usage and has twice initiated a rapid braking event on the motorway before I've spotted a rolling stop.

·
31,982 Posts
It’s all done in-vitro these days. The wank-droid will be round shortly to service you.
While I use Autopilot a lot....
I presume that wasn't a follow-on from the last post, else I guess I will have to go try out a Tesla for sure ......

1 - 20 of 26 Posts