Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finding that regen zero, using the regular brakes and maximising coasting is achieving the best efficiency I've seen in the past 2500 miles. Shame your can't default lv0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm finding that regen zero, using the regular brakes and maximising coasting is achieving the best efficiency I've seen in the past 2500 miles. Shame your can't default lv0

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I assume you mean the regular brake pedal - surely the car still uses regenerative braking till you press harder?

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,256 Posts
It should be the most efficient way of driving given the inefficiencies involved with regenerative braking.

It’s just a matter of balancing maximising efficiency by coasting more and not being too much of an annoyance for other road users.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, foot pedal brake.

I've turned auto regen off as I think it's a bit over cautious and causes me to have to use the throttle to recover speed.

On long hills I'll enable lv1/2 again to save my foot.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sure I am a nuisance to the other road users Bill as I'm trying to stick to the twenty limit! (Well just a bit over perhaps)

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
714 Posts
My experience is that it is a matter of right foot control. In town and mountains I very much prefer level 3, since it allows for 99% one-pedal driving. Especially in up and down road, not having to move my foot is just so more relaxing and by varying the regen level I can approach corners very smoothly.

On the motorway I almost always use SCC but when using manual controls, I also find I can coast by giving just enough throttle to stop regen from kicking in. It's a matter of habit I guess.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,256 Posts
I'm sure I am a nuisance to the other road users Bill as I'm trying to stick to the twenty limit! (Well just a bit over perhaps)
Yes I know the feeling!

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,731 Posts
My experience is that it is a matter of right foot control. In town and mountains I very much prefer level 3, since it allows for 99% one-pedal driving. Especially in up and down road, not having to move my foot is just so more relaxing and by varying the regen level I can approach corners very smoothly.

On the motorway I almost always use SCC but when using manual controls, I also find I can coast by giving just enough throttle to stop regen from kicking in. It's a matter of habit I guess.
Not so much habit as developing that skill with the sensitive use of the right foot. Then it becomes a habit.

Nice to learn a new driving skill.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm also not sure it's more efficient to accelerate slowly. I was increasing my speed very gradually but I think doing so quicker actuality users less power.

·
Registered
714 Posts
@Xinix please don't confuse things. Any regen or one-pedal driving is simply a user interface. It is not the best, most efficient way of driving, which is the topic here.

As I mentioned, you can also coast by throttling the accelerator so what I meant is that you can achieve the same behaviour / efficiency by using the right foot wisely rather than setting a specific regen level.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,638 Posts
As I mentioned, you can also coast by throttling the accelerator so what I meant is that you can achieve the same behaviour / efficiency by using the right foot wisely rather than setting a specific regen level.
No, you can't, as far as efficiency is concerned. Get used to it that's fine, it is you choice. But it doesn't mean that you have improved or managed to do something better. It is a simple user interface, and it doesn't change the fact that efficiency is better under coasting.

By the way, "throttling the accelerator" is not the same as not using the accelerator. Just look at your car's energy monitor.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
No, you can't, as far as efficiency is concerned. Get used to it that's fine, it is you choice. But it doesn't mean that you have improved or managed to do something better. It is a simple user interface, and it doesn't change the fact that efficiency is better under coasting.

By the way, "throttling the accelerator" is not the same as not using the accelerator. Just look at your car's energy monitor.
Efficiency is entirely the wrong term to use. The amount of energy expended on a given route includes the traffic conditions, over which in general you have no control. Driving a car around an empty test circuit is NOT the same as driving a commuter route or even a motorway where there are random external events like cars in from slowing, braking, cutting in, give ways, merging etc. So don't use the term efficiency, it just indicates your lack of understanding.

·
Registered
714 Posts
It is definitely possible to have regen level 3 set and keep the accelerator in a position to cancel out the regen to effectively use 0 kWh and thus be coasting. I never said I had improved anything or managed to do something better. Those are your words and your interpretation of my post.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts