Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based in Liverpool just looking into getting first full EV thinking Nissan Leaf but conscious there's not that many charge points in Liverpool. What are people doing to get round this - just charging from home?

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Presuming that you can charge at home, the next charge point you will need is after a 60-70 mile journey. Don't forget that you will normally leave home with a full 'tank' which is normally enough for all local journeys, you can 'top up' everytime you are at home. As long as you have enough to get home you will always be fine.
My LEAF is just coming up to 20K miles, nearly all charging has either been on my driveway or over 25 miles from home at motorway services as I travel to other towns, etc. My only regret, for my life style, is that I did not get the 6.6 onboard charger, That said, I have had no prolems with a combintion of slow 3kw charge at home and rapid charging when away from home.
Look at sites such as Zap Map, you will see plenty of charger points are out there, with more coming each week.

·
Ecohound
1,327 Posts
I fully agree with @BarryP quite often you will see empty charge points even though there are now 58,000 EV's on the road. Most of your charging is done at home and with the new 30kw Leaf that gives you 50 miles there and back. I now have a 6.6kw charger and think it is great when compared to my Gen 1's 3.3kw.
Sure more charging points would be nice and are needed but don't let that put you off I've just done 16,000 in a year mainly home charging and saved £1,100 in petrol compared to my already economical 50 mpg Jazz. :)

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Based in Liverpool just looking into getting first full EV thinking Nissan Leaf but conscious there's not that many charge points in Liverpool. What are people doing to get round this - just charging from home?
As others have pointed out, the big issue is whether you are able to charge at home or not. If you are able then the presence or absence of chargers near to your home becomes academic, and only of interest to people living miles out of the City. I would also advise against planning your costings on the basis of free charging near to home. This will soon change and upset that plan.

On the other hand, if you are not able to charge at home then much more thought needs to be given to even buying an EV in the first place. Personally I would not buy one on the basis that I would absolutely require an adequate infrastructure in order to even travel anywhere as normal. I know that many do that, and manage successfully, but it's not for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts