1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What EVs:
  1. have actual one pedal driving?
  2. one pedal driving except in some circumstance?
  3. nearly one pedal driving?
In my experience, the i3 has #2 - it’s one pedal unless the car is going down hill.

The Kona (and its siblings) has #3 - it’s nearly one pedal - it will not come to a stop just by lifting off the accelerator alone. Stopping, without touching the brake, requires the use of a paddle behind the steering wheel. It’s one pedal, plus one paddle.

So, which cars fall into category #1 and will come to a stop in almost all circumstances just by lifting off the accelerator?

Thanks

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Leaf e-pedal is proper one pedal, in the week I used one I used the brakes about three times. It was the best thing about the car.
Thanks 👍 is that even on moderately steep slopes?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
What EVs:
  1. have actual one pedal driving?

So, which cars fall into category #1 and will come to a stop in almost all circumstances just by lifting off the accelerator?
Tesla model 3 has true 1 pedal driving if the drive mode is set to "hold". It will slow down and stop even on steep slopes without touching the brake pedal. It uses the friction brakes to stop at low speeds and to hold the car.

·
Registered
152 Posts
@Bill N , it won't do you an emergency stop but it's pretty strong nevertheless. If I'm on e-pedal I almost never need the brake pedal. For the first few months of ownership I found it too strong funnily enough, but it's used regularly now.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yes the BMW I3 I have at the moment is 80% one pedal driving but the Tesla Model 3 was full one pedal. What particularly impressed me was that it was even true when reversing down hill.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,449 Posts
Yes on my leaf E+. I have a few small hills on my daily journeys and also never need use the brakes unless I forget to lift fully off or approach too fast. It is particularly impressive on a short steep hill with a tight right hander at the bottom.
Max regen is 35kw. if you let it bring you to a standstill, I'm sure the brakes take over for the last couple of yards. I am averaging over 20% of power used is from regens. (just checked the app)
My only gripe is that it will not remember E-pedal mode, whereas it does remember ECO mode.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,867 Posts
There's a price to pay in terms of efficiency for true one pedal driving, but it can be so small as to be hard to measure.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,449 Posts
There's a price to pay in terms of efficiency for true one pedal driving, but it can be so small as to be hard to measure.
Not when I'm getting 20% of total kw from regeneration. The app shows: 33.1kw total, 7.42kw regenerated, 25.6kw consumed. I don't know how much would be regenerated in non E-pedal mode but I might check next time I'm out, The effect is so strong, that only braking firmly would be equal to it. i,e its much stronger than non
E-pedal.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
957 Posts
I’ve driven a version of the Renault Kangoo van that was true one pedal, used friction brakes when you stopped. The van my work actually got was lower spec and didn’t quite do this but you could still get away with rarely using the foot brake.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,449 Posts
@farmergiles , you can adjust the settings so that it does remember e-pedal. If it wasn't dark and cold right now I'd go out and find it. But if I sussed it myself then it can't have been difficult. :)
You are not wrong. Found it in the dash settings menu, and stored the setting. Thanks.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Another vote for Leaf E Pedal, do not use it much but when i do its very intuitive and effective.
I use creep majority of the time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts