Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,481 Posts
I agree with those who have said PHEVs that only charge at 3kW should NOT use 44kW AC Type 2 connector on RAPID chargers.

I would never have considered using one with my Ampera as they are intended for BEV drivers to be able to continue their journey, not save PHEV drivers a tiny amount of petrol.

Hopefully the manufacturers will stop them being able to use them, by perhaps only allowing 3 phase on the Type 2 AC.

·
Registered
vw id 3 tour pro s 82kwh
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
im not saying i won't to hog the rapid chargers at all i was purely asking a question on the forum,
that's like saying the people that drive a mercedes c350 that plug into the 43kw what to just gain 7 miles so they are a waste of time plugging in there there is a dude that will sit there plugged in the 43kw charger for over 3 hours to get in this weather 7 miles he's hogging the charger for other poeople that wont a quick charge
i was just purely asking a skeptical question, and the mitsubishi PHEV doesn't do much milage either than the mercedes but they are selfish and hog chargers we have never hogged chargers at all we have sat patiently waiting for these cars mercedes and mitsubishi to finish charger ,I've seen many nissan leaf drivers even the new 50kw ones they don't even use the 43kw because like they say it would take for ever so they wait for the ccs chargers,
and its like tesla drivers they buy adapters to use on the chargers becuase they don't wont to pay for the tesla card to use at tesla charging stations so they also hog the rapids with there cars by using adapters
I WAS PURLEY ASKING A SIMPLE QUESTION ON ADAPTERS ON CHARGING STATIONS WHERE I SHOP NOW AND AGIAN TO USE IT WHERE THERE IS NO ONE USING THE 43KW ITS JUST COLLETING COB WEBS.

·
Registered
vw id 3 tour pro s 82kwh
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
that should also go to tesla owners using adapters to use the charger becuase they don't wont to pay for the original card to use tesla stations allocated purely for them,
I agree with those who have said PHEVs that only charge at 3kW should NOT use 44kW AC Type 2 connector on RAPID chargers.

I would never have considered using one with my Ampera as they are intended for BEV drivers to be able to continue their journey, not save PHEV drivers a tiny amount of petrol.

Hopefully the manufacturers will stop them being able to use them, by perhaps only allowing 3 phase on the Type 2 AC.

·
Registered
vw id 3 tour pro s 82kwh
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
thank
Aha, the BEV owners have arrived as expected.

@Jenny charge how you like. Be courteous and leave a note so someone can contact you and you can unplug if necessary (though is it even possible to spend long in a lidl?).

@donald what's this risk of damage? Have BEV owners started militantly guarding their rapid chargers?
thank you runningstrong i was only purely asking a question see how quick BEV owners jump in (its all mine)attitude, from them, the chargers are for the public not just becuase you have a car that has more milage.they are called PUBLIC HIGHWAY not personal use for BEV and tesla users that don't wont to pay for the original card to charge at tesla stations also

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
35,487 Posts
im not saying i won't to hog the rapid chargers at all i was purely asking a question on the forum,
that's like saying the people that drive a mercedes c350 that plug into the 43kw what to just gain 7 miles so they are a waste of time plugging in there there is a dude that will sit there plugged in the 43kw charger for over 3 hours to get in this weather 7 miles he's hogging the charger for other poeople that wont a quick charge
i was just purely asking a skeptical question, and the mitsubishi PHEV doesn't do much milage either than the mercedes but they are selfish and hog chargers we have never hogged chargers at all we have sat patiently waiting for these cars mercedes and mitsubishi to finish charger ,I've seen many nissan leaf drivers even the new 50kw ones they don't even use the 43kw because like they say it would take for ever so they wait for the ccs chargers,
and its like tesla drivers they buy adapters to use on the chargers becuase they don't wont to pay for the tesla card to use at tesla charging stations so they also hog the rapids with there cars by using adapters
I WAS PURLEY ASKING A SIMPLE QUESTION ON ADAPTERS ON CHARGING STATIONS WHERE I SHOP NOW AND AGIAN TO USE IT WHERE THERE IS NO ONE USING THE 43KW ITS JUST COLLETING COB WEBS.
But why would you want to?

I just don't understand the argument. There is no cost advantage to you to do so, if you do an hour's shopping you get 30p of free electricity, if you think that is really worth the effort then I am a bit bewildered. Admittedly you might have taken a route out and back in again (you'd never run out of electricity just doing a supermarket run from home, would you!?) and want to avoid burning petrol, which is fair enough from an environmental point of view, but that is just one litre of petrol you'd burn, and in winter you also get the benefit of heat from it too that your 3kWh worth of charge wouldn't offer you.

It never ceases to amaze me how much people are prepared to pay to get something for free!!

(PS - Yes, I would agree a Merc 350e is blocking a rapid if it uses one and no-one else can.)

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 1st Edition https://share.octopus.energy/quiet-puma-274
848 Posts
I don't have a problem with any vehicle using a rapid for what is was intended for "rapid charging" anything that charges at less than, let's say 11kwh for arguments sake should seek out a fast charger unless it's an emergency...
It's like people parking in a child & parents space when they have no kids with them because it's more convenient & there's nothing to stop them doing so, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

·
Registered
vw id 3 tour pro s 82kwh
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
omg i was not trying to start a argument i was purely thinking out loud has we women do about the adapters and rapids etc and was just curious over the kWh convention on using a adapter in fact i was asking becuase has we all know when you owned a older nissan it was type 1 charging lead that was carried for outside charging but instead of buying a lead to fit a different car adapters are better priced than paying for a coiled new lead or straight lead and what would the different be on using them publicly

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I don't have a problem with any vehicle using a rapid for what is was intended for "rapid charging" anything that charges at less than, let's say 11kwh for arguments sake should seek out a fast charger unless it's an emergency...
It's like people parking in a child & parents space when they have no kids with them because it's more convenient & there's nothing to stop them doing so, just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Except it's an upto 50kW charger.

Should anyone charging at less than 50kW not bother?
What about if your car is capable but is throttling? Like a Leaf?
Where's the line? 30kW?

What happens when we have 150kW? Is a 100kW charging car now allowed?

The socket fits. The car charges. Be courteous to others, and unplug for those in greater need. Lidl get to add to their use metrics (which otherwise might be stagnant and suggest no demand). Another mile is done on EV.

BEV owners get back in their box.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
There are moves afoot to ban PHEV and REX vehicles from using fast chargers because it's selfish and pointless - expect this to be the case from later this year or next year. It's a great way to infuriate people for negligible gain "just because I can". It's like taking an enormous shopping trolley of shopping to a 10 items or less basket-only checkout.
If charger manufacturers and service providers want to do that, fine.

But the idea that legislation is required is absurd and is really a step too far. Ultimately it'll be a poorly written and ineffective.

·
Registered
vw id 3 tour pro s 82kwh
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
And like I say it’s a 43kw AC charger not DC so it’s not rapid the reason we. Hanged to ampera was because before we had a Nissan Leaf and omg 7 years ago chargers were like rocking horse teeth,
And when it took 4 hours to get from leeds to wales and the charger was broken we had to wIt over 1 hour for rac and just hated that anxiety of is the charger broken or not working so choose ampera ,
So it seems we have a different breed of drivers these days if you have a little generator you don’t need to charge,but fact is I don’t won’t to use petrol unless totally necessary it’s just a back up for emergency’s

·
Premium Member
12,481 Posts
And like I say it’s a 43kw AC charger not DC so it’s not rapid
43kW AC is a RAPID CHARGER. Also on most RAPID CHARGERS if you use the tethered AC connector, nobody can use the DC side.

Can't you find a supermarket with a 7Kw charger or shop nearer to home?
I don’t won’t to use petrol unless totally necessary it’s just a back up for emergency’s
With respect, it sound to me like you have the wrong car. Even I recognised that you do need to use the Ampera on petrol for longer journeys and I was very keen to use on battery!

It sounds like an i3 REX might be more suitable if you only want petrol for "emergencies" .

Reactions: Richard Gledhill

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 1st Edition https://share.octopus.energy/quiet-puma-274
848 Posts
omg i was not trying to start a argument i was purely thinking out loud has we women do about the adapters and rapids etc and was just curious over the kWh convention on using a adapter in fact i was asking becuase has we all know when you owned a older nissan it was type 1 charging lead that was carried for outside charging but instead of buying a lead to fit a different car adapters are better priced than paying for a coiled new lead or straight lead and what would the different be on using them publicly
I don't think it's an argument, you asked for people's opinions as to getting an adaptor so you can plug into the AC on a rapid charger & people have obliged & we are discussing the good & bad points of this so you can make your own mind up :)

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
Hi Jenny, and welcome. I'm a BEV driver but more than happy to share any Scottish triple headed rapid with you while you get a few kWhrs for your Amperage (via your adaptor). Best regards and happy electric motoring.

PS, all the Scottish triple headed rapids that I have used (several dozen at least) allow the DC and AC sides to be used simultaneously, no problem.

·
Premium Member
12,481 Posts
Hi Jenny, and welcome. I'm a BEV driver but more than happy to share any Scottish triple headed rapid with you while you get a few kWhrs for your Amperage (via your adaptor). Best regards and happy electric motoring.
I doubt Scottish Zoe drivers would agree with you!

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
35,487 Posts
Where's the line? 30kW?
I have said before, IMHO 20kW, most 20~30kWh EVs to date stay above that until ~80% and that means I cut my own nose off as the Soul throttles to 15kW by ~83%.

I think the bigger batteries slow up that much by 65%, but I have to point out that a 64kWh battery crawling along from 65% to 90% would be a real pain at 15kW... move along please!

How about this, which I think is fair on newcomers and older cars too; 20kW, plus a roll-off for 5 mins (whatever the rate), giving a margin to get back to the car if you've gone for a splash-and-splash-and-dash, if you follow me! ;)

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
I doubt Scottish Zoe drivers would agree with you!
Actually Scottish Zoe owners are very well catered for with loads of 22kW chargers all over the place.

Failing that, a little human dialogue helps: for example if two of us are in the car, one stays with it and let's any one on that has a separate need. If in adjacent pub for a meal, we leave a note/telephone number in case any Zoe owner required AC. To be honest, this has been the case when a selfish Tesla driver was hogging the Chademo (etiquette says they should have used the supercharger)... See how stupid these arguments are?

·
Premium Member
12,481 Posts
Actually Scottish Zoe owners are very well catered for with loads of 22kW chargers all over the place.

Failing that, a little human dialogue helps: for example if two of us are in the car, one stays with it and let's any one on that has a separate need. If in adjacent pub for a meal, we leave a note/telephone number in case any Zoe owner required AC. To be honest, this has been the case when a selfish Tesla driver was hogging the Chademo (etiquette says they should have used the supercharger)... See how stupid these arguments are?
I see absolutely no reason why a Tesla can't use a CHAdeMO on a public charger. The Model 3 will have CCS and owners will no doubt make extensive use of the Scottish CCS chargers.

Clearly we aren't going to agree on this topic, but I suspect the industry will start to prevent 3kW charging on Rapids if they can.

Development of the UK public chargepoint network

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.