Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK this is just a fun discussion and curious about peoples thoughts.

Ive had cruse control on cars for years (maybe 20 years) never had adaptive cruise control before.
So having had a few drives using it to see what it was like and how it works I was thought some things are great, and somethings create an interesting reaction from me!!! (picture a nervous twitch lile when I sit in the pasenger seat when wife is driving!!!)

I was curious what other people's views are.

Things I like
  • driving on the motorway the car adjust speeds to the traffic flow without me needing to change anything
  • car pulls into the gap, i slow down and adjust the gap without touching a peddle.
  • driving on the road, as I come to a junction or roundabout, if I dont react the car slows down.

The main thing that causes me to twich... I want to react to situation before (or maybe more strongly) that the automation does!... eg a car pulled into the gap and I wanted to brake a little harder to get the gap a little quicker. It felt a little too close to the car in front for a little while! (ie I was tailgating a few times for a second or two, at 70!)
Its basically that I am anticipating things and reacting (maybe overreacting), before the ACC thinks we need to.

So my debate point is do we think the ACC causes people to stop thinking and anticpating... does it create bad habbits rather than good ones.
Remember I have 100's of thousands of miles of driving on manual and automatic cars, but what about this sort of tech for someone who is new to driving? Does ACC encourge them to stop anticpating the road ahead?

I am just curious of people's view on this because as we know people think tech like 'auto pilot' (and Ive not used this though i have driven a tesla), takes over and they dont need to do anything, despite the warning lables! and the consequence is stories about people crashing (no more deaths than other drivers but its just the sensational news of autopilot which creates column inches and click bate).

Im not arguing its bad to have or use the tech... I quite like it (twitching included - I just need to adapt driving style), but I am curious about people's view on the consequence of the tech.

Remember this is just a fun thread and not to be taken seriously!

·
Registered
Tesla M3 SR+ In a whiter shade of pale
398 Posts
OK this is just a fun discussion and curious about peoples thoughts.

Ive had cruse control on cars for years (maybe 20 years) never had adaptive cruise control before.
So having had a few drives using it to see what it was like and how it works I was thought some things are great, and somethings create an interesting reaction from me!!! (picture a nervous twitch lile when I sit in the pasenger seat when wife is driving!!!)

I was curious what other people's views are.

Things I like
  • driving on the motorway the car adjust speeds to the traffic flow without me needing to change anything
  • car pulls into the gap, i slow down and adjust the gap without touching a peddle.
  • driving on the road, as I come to a junction or roundabout, if I dont react the car slows down.

The main thing that causes me to twich... I want to react to situation before (or maybe more strongly) that the automation does!... eg a car pulled into the gap and I wanted to brake a little harder to get the gap a little quicker. It felt a little too close to the car in front for a little while! (ie I was tailgating a few times for a second or two, at 70!)
Its basically that I am anticipating things and reacting (maybe overreacting), before the ACC thinks we need to.

So my debate point is do we think the ACC causes people to stop thinking and anticpating... does it create bad habbits rather than good ones.
Remember I have 100's of thousands of miles of driving on manual and automatic cars, but what about this sort of tech for someone who is new to driving? Does ACC encourge them to stop anticpating the road ahead?

I am just curious of people's view on this because as we know people think tech like 'auto pilot' (and Ive not used this though i have driven a tesla), takes over and they dont need to do anything, despite the warning lables! and the consequence is stories about people crashing (no more deaths than other drivers but its just the sensational news of autopilot which creates column inches and click bate).

Im not arguing its bad to have or use the tech... I quite like it (twitching included - I just need to adapt driving style), but I am curious about people's view on the consequence of the tech.

Remember this is just a fun thread and not to be taken seriously!
Short answer is “I think it’s great” I used it ALL the time on my e-golf.
The Tesla “traffic aware cruise control” is nowhere near as good as the VW offering IMHO

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208 / '22 ID.3 Family
3,756 Posts
do we think the ACC causes people to stop thinking and anticpating... does it create bad habbits rather than good ones
Yes - it can do. Have been guilty of it myself sometimes, when you find yourself dawdling along behind someone because you haven’t realised at first that your speed has dropped. With normal cruise, you’d obviously carry on gaining on the car in front until you either manually intervene on the cruise control or slip into a suitable gap to overtake and continue on your way.

I think it’s good (where a car with ACC allows it) to occasionally drive in normal cruise mode, just to keep switched on.

I reckon ACC has maybe contributed to the rise in middle lane numpties who are seemingly just more than happy to sit there all day long, perhaps with the assistance of ACC and lane following systems. Just rolling along in the middle lane in convoy with an empty left lane beside them and apparently oblivious to the congestion they are causing behind.

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
469 Posts
I'm not going to lie, there was a moment last week (after spending all weekend driving the ID.4 to Scotland and back) when I got a little too close to the car in front while driving my non-ACC Zoe because I was expecting it to slow down by itself.... 😐

So yes, I'd say that even someone like me (10+ years with a commercial license, drove lorries and coaches in the states) can get complacent with how wonderful the VW ACC is!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,469 Posts
The main thing that causes me to twich... I want to react to situation before (or maybe more strongly) that the automation does!.
My experience is the exact opposite - I find the reaction of some systems excessive in that they react to increase the gap more quickly than I'd like. Clearly it is hard to please everyone all of time!

Comparing it to being driven it is the difference with someone reacting by braking as opposed to showing that they have seen the car that pulled in and are covering the brake.
I reckon ACC has maybe contributed to the rise in middle lane numpties who are seemingly just more than happy to sit there all day long, perhaps with the assistance of ACC and lane following systems. Just rolling along in the middle lane in convoy with an empty left lane beside them and apparently oblivious to the congestion they are causing behind.
Exactly, they have already disengaged their brains. I never see or hear of any enforcement of the keep to the left most lane where possible rule.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208 / '22 ID.3 Family
3,756 Posts
It’s also maybe made driving on single lane country roads more of a pain now as people are seemingly more content to sit behind slower vehicles rather than to overtake (when perfectly safe to do so).

But on top of not overtaking themselves (perhaps because with ACC sitting behind someone slower, who is regularly adjusting their speed, is far less annoying), cars also seem to bunch up more (perhaps because of ACC being used on a close setting) which makes it practically impossible for anyone behind to then safely overtake.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I’ve used adaptive cruise on various cars for the last 10 years, mainly Volvo. I’d say in general it’s been positive, but there were situation when it didn’t cope well.

I’m now driving an ID3 Max and can definitely say, it’s better than any system I’ve experienced before. The Max also has travel assist and in my opinion, it takes ACC to a different level.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Big fan of the modern vision-assisted systems with cut in detection and short range detection.

The older stuff with long range radar only might as well not exist - it doesn’t really work in today’s congested conditions.

·
Registered
EGolf
131 Posts
I had a golf R and used ACC all the time, I recently got a transporter 6.1 and find it so annoying I rarely use it, it detects vehicles in front far to early and won’t let you undertake (in slow traffic) on the motorway. In fact the only time it is useful in the motorway is if you plan on staying in lane without overtaking. The transporter has auto park so I think the side sensors are at play and ruin the whole system for me. It works in the egolf better as generally I’m driving slower to gain efficiency and rarely overtake.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
This sounds like the new multi-lane Mobileye suite. I think you can authorise it to pass slower traffic by tapping the accelerator. It should change lanes for you on indicate too?

Reactions: Creationblue

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
VW’s new driver assist suite uses maps to slow for roundabouts. The tech has been available in Audi for a while so I guess this is what they fitted to the ID4?

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When you say slow down for roundabout, do you mean it has eco assist? I wasn't sure that the 1st edition had that feature in the uk or not?
getting my ID4 next month.
im driving with ACC and roadside recognition and it says there is a roundabout ahead and starts to slow down... I was surpised too!
might have been a speed change on the road causing it, or something else. But it surprised me too. TBH, I wouldnt be driving with ACC on with roundabouts ahead, i would have touched the brake and disengaged it before that point.

when I dont have ACC on, it just shows a foot braking on the display... telling you to brake!!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I like it for the most part, though it freaks me out on the old Severn bridge where it picks up the 15mph signs on the support road/cycle tracks on the side of the motorway.

·
Registered
35 Posts
im driving with ACC and roadside recognition and it says there is a roundabout ahead and starts to slow down... I was surpised too!
might have been a speed change on the road causing it, or something else. But it surprised me too. TBH, I wouldnt be driving with ACC on with roundabouts ahead, i would have touched the brake and disengaged it before that point.

when I dont have ACC on, it just shows a foot braking on the display... telling you to brake!!!
Yes from what I've seen that's eco assist but I wasn't aware that it would be on our uk first addition as I have only seen American and European videos showing this in action. Good to know thanks!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Also, a couple of places in Wales have those weird super tight corner slip roads (there is one at raglan) The car says “corner approching, slowing to xxx mph”. Except it starts regen braking mid corner and then the body roll comes on strong 😆

1 - 20 of 46 Posts