Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone having an issue with the front camera on the i3 fogging up in the mornings?

Is this a known issue or am I the only one?

Last night and this morning with the cold temperatures and the warm car interior caused my front camera housing area to fog up. This means no cruise control and a artificial warning about a impending front collision.

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
I have seen a couple of people report it, I think the solution was take it off and evaporate it out - unfortunately dealer visit.

You may be able to do it yourself though stick temp up full and demist on full and let it sit for a bit. The unit isn't fully sealed.

There is a moisture sensor in the unit that should trigger the same automatically too.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ye shes getting a free charge and parking. Which is great normally costs her £4 per day to park and £7 in Diesel to take the previous 4x4. So £11 ish per day saving will soon pay for a new set of wheels... haha

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BTW I took the car into BMW and they tested the heating ring inside the camera housing. Apparently its working as it should however the problem is still there. First thing in the morning or if the outside temp drops while driving (i.e. going up over a hill) the housing fogs up and the camera is disabled.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anyone having an issue with the front camera on the i3 fogging up in the mornings?

Is this a known issue or am I the only one?

Last night and this morning with the cold temperatures and the warm car interior caused my front camera housing area to fog up. This means no cruise control and a artificial warning about a impending front collision.
Did you ever get anywhere with this?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nope, its been in and out of the garage. I have photos of the problem but still they say the heating element in the camera housing is working as it should. Thankfully the mornings are getting a bit warmer so the problem has resolved itself in the last couple of weeks. However i'm sure it will be back next Winter!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everybody, sorry replying from my phone so apologies for the finger trouble resulting in my first post!

I have been having the same problem which the local BMW dealership is trying to help with. I was very disappointed that the manual does not detail the issue and how to resolve it. However the local service manager has been discussing it with BMW and they sent him a document he has not seen before which suggests that both the demist control and the rear heated window have to be selected on to clear the sensor, even if both the front and rear windows are clear. Hopefully I will get my car back tomorrow and I will let you know if it resolves the issue.

·
Registered
272 Posts
My ACC is brilliant when it works - which is most, but not all, of the time. However, it seems to have a nasty habit of cutting out unexpectedly; I haven't worked out whether this is linked to low sun, mist (externally), or whatever. Internal misting up is something I hadn't considered, and I don't think it would explain all the failures (eg over half an hour into a journey). But it does seem to fail more frequently shortly after setting off, so maybe internal misting up is part of the answer.

Workaround, when traffic isn't a problem, is to turn the ACC off and use normal cruise control, then try resuming ACC a bit later. But I shouldn't need to do that often, certainly not as often as I do.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
My ACC is brilliant when it works - which is most, but not all, of the time. However, it seems to have a nasty habit of cutting out unexpectedly; I haven't worked out whether this is linked to low sun, mist (externally), or whatever. Internal misting up is something I hadn't considered, and I don't think it would explain all the failures (eg over half an hour into a journey). But it does seem to fail more frequently shortly after setting off, so maybe internal misting up is part of the answer.

Workaround, when traffic isn't a problem, is to turn the ACC off and use normal cruise control, then try resuming ACC a bit later. But I shouldn't need to do that often, certainly not as often as I do.
ACC is camera based and in the Winter (low sun, shadow, mist, heavy rain) can all result in it cutting out. Early adopters were also blessed with rapid regen braking which could frighten both the I3 driver and anybody tailgating. I now drive with my foot very close to accelerator and I have the bolt replacement modification. Old habits die hard.

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
Did we get clarification on when the heating ring is activated? Is it front+rear demist? A shame if so as that's a pretty heavy load...
Rear demist only, it also activates the heating in the rear view camera.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts