1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else had a new windscreen?.
Had a new one put in this morning, I was informed in advance that
they (Autoglass) wouldn't be able to calibrate the camera. The
fitter said MG haven't released the software yet which is why.
On most cars it would take him 30mins to an hour to do.
So I had to ring nearest dealer to make an appointment for them
to do it, and autoglass will sort out the payment. Rang Toomeys Basildon
but they don't know how to do it, but will get back to me when they find out.
Also reckon it will take a couple of days:cautious:. Doesn't inspire confidence.
Anyone else had one done?

·
Registered
300 Posts
After a few months of ownership an lorry kicked up a rather large stone on the autoroute in France. You could hardly see the chip but two weeks later after a particularly warm day and cold night, a 15cm crack appeared so had to get the windscreen replaced! First time in my life.

Get any chip no matter how small fixed immediately. It took 4 weeks to get a new windscreen during the pandemic! Priority at the time was for front line workers and Autoglass was not allocated to do the replacement as they were only doing replacements for emergency services.

In relation to ADAS, not all MG dealers have the ability to do the ADAS recalibration. I had to drive 100 miles to the MG dealer in Durham to get my car's eyes tested :LOL: It took 50 minutes to do including the mechanic taking it for a test drive. Appointment and cost all arranged by AutoWindsceen. Make sure you get the test certificate and receipt for insurance reasons.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Had a replacement windscreen. Everything seemed to work fine but they said it needed ADAS recalibration. As I was insured for windscreen replacement I went ahead and had it done. I know the garage fee for this was £140, although I suspect autoglass paid them a lot less. Moral is, make sure you have insurance and it does not impact your no claims. I would guess the total cost had I not been insured would have been closer to £500.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I would also recommend that you first call MG Assist. That way they ensure that a genuine ZS EV windscreen is obtained, fitted by a company that is approved by your insurer, and that will actually do the fitting during these difficult times, and ensure that an authorised MG garage with trained technicians and equipment will do the ADAS re-calibration, and all included.

I am with LV and the excess was £140 and does not affect your no claims status. I am sure other insurance companies are similar but was impressed with everything arranged and the service received from the replacement company and the MG dealer doing the re-calibration.

·
Registered
211 Posts
make sure you have insurance and it does not impact your no claims. I would guess the total cost had I not been insured would have been closer to £500.
Even if it does not impact your no claims, you may still have to declare it when taking out a new insurance contract and it may well increase the price of future premiums. There a multiple examples of things that "do not impact your no claims bonus", but miraculously cause your premium to increase. I normally just pay for things out of my own pocket, as I can't be bothered going through the insurance.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am with LV. They sorted the windscreen through autoglass.
Won't affect my no claims. The problem is there is only one tool that is used for recalibration in the country according to MG Toomey. They have to order it, and I have to wait till they get it..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts