Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

I have found addaptive cruse control and the stop start system underwhelming. It does not seem to react soon enough even though it detects the car in front it does not brake any way soon enough. Any one else have any thoughts on this? I know there is a sensitivity setting but this just seems to make you spead up and slow down quicker. The reaction threshold for the car to take action stays the same. 50% of the time requires intervention.

Dbran

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. As far as I know I have it at the maximum setting possible but I will check again next time. You don't seem to be able to adjust this unless you have scc active.

Dbran

·
Registered
53 Posts
IIRC on our new soul one of the top level Driver assist menu items is ACCS “speed of response”.

Probably the same on the Niro?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi there

I have found addaptive cruse control and the stop start system underwhelming. It does not seem to react soon enough even though it detects the car in front it does not brake any way soon enough. Any one else have any thoughts on this? I know there is a sensitivity setting but this just seems to make you spead up and slow down quicker. The reaction threshold for the car to take action stays the same. 50% of the time requires intervention.

Dbran
That surprises me as I have a Kona E which I thought had the same system.
I find the Kona one extremely good it also compares well with one in my previous ice car. A Jaguar F-Pace.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The SCC has speed of response (under the Driver Assist Menu) and then the distance setting (button to the left of the SCC cancel). If you press and hold that button then the SCC changes to conventional cruise control but that is reset to SCC when you power off. I find that I need the setting on the max on single carriage way roads and then on setting 3 on dual carriage ways.

However, I have stopped using it at the mo. Anyone know if the camera needs calibrating? I was overtaking a lorry at 70 in the outside lane and the car decided to brake sharply! It was on a straight section of road and fortunately, no one behind. I also had a similar incident when I was passing someone who had pulled onto the exit lane on the motorway, again, a straight road.

One other thing is that the LKA/LDW bongs when I am on a straight road and there is a hedge on the nearside just as if the camera is looking too far to the left.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I find the braking response OK, it's the squirmy steering that stops me wanting to use it (on a Soul).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That surprises me as I have a Kona E which I thought had the same system.
I find the Kona one extremely good it also compares well with one in my previous ice car. A Jaguar F-Pace.
My experience is if you are doing motorway speeds it will maintain proper distance and speed ok and vary it to a certain extent. But if the car in front brakes you have to brake too as the scc will not apply brakes in time and with enough force for you to slow down enough or to stop. Does it not use the friction brakes?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks. As far as I know I have it at the maximum setting possible but I will check again next time. You don't seem to be able to adjust this unless you have scc active.

Dbran
The example in the owners' manual indicates that the maximum follow distance only gives approximately 2 second time "cushion" which seemed too low for my comfort. In practice, it's OK. I could probably live with the next closest follow distance which works out to 1.6 seconds. I suspect that the longest follow distance is probably the effective outer range of radar sensitivity acceptable to Kia engineers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The example in the owners' manual indicates that the maximum follow distance only gives approximately 2 second time "cushion" which seemed too low for my comfort. In practice, it's OK. I could probably live with the next closest follow distance which works out to 1.6 seconds. I suspect that the longest follow distance is probably the effective outer range of radar sensitivity acceptable to Kia engineers.
2 seconds seems way to low to me. It should be at least 3 seconds otherwise you have no chance to react if the car in front does something stupid.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I also had a similar incident when I was passing someone who had pulled onto the exit lane on the motorway, again, a straight road.
I've had that too, it seems to do it when someone who was in front of you takes the exit lane and then slows down a bit too quickly.

I've also had it react to a cyclist on the hard shoulder of a dual carriageway (I'm in Ireland, we have hard shoulders on DC's here).

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree totally over the 2 second rule. I turn off the SCC when the traffic is more dense yet still moving at 70. It is great when the traffic is slower and at a constant speed through roadworks etc but I think it needs to be used with considerable care elsewhere.
The reason I adopted the shorter distance on the motorway (level 3) is that the system kept reacting when someone overtook me and then pulled in, again when doing an actual 70. Even though they were going faster and hence the distance was increasing the system reacted and caused the car to slow quite severely.
I'd be interested to see what the SCC systems are like from others such as Jaguar and Audi and if they are any better.

·
Registered
2020 Polestar 2
192 Posts
I agree totally over the 2 second rule. I turn off the SCC when the traffic is more dense yet still moving at 70. It is great when the traffic is slower and at a constant speed through roadworks etc but I think it needs to be used with considerable care elsewhere.
The reason I adopted the shorter distance on the motorway (level 3) is that the system kept reacting when someone overtook me and then pulled in, again when doing an actual 70. Even though they were going faster and hence the distance was increasing the system reacted and caused the car to slow quite severely.
I'd be interested to see what the SCC systems are like from others such as Jaguar and Audi and if they are any better.
Interesting. My First Edition SCC works as I would expect and doesn’t react to cars overtaking me and pulling into my lane, provided that they are moving a little faster than I am. Very happy with it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Quite often found myself with it set at 74 or the motorway only to look down and realise it had slowed to 50 to match the truck id been catching up to without me noticing the slowdown.
The only issue I have seen is in start stop traffic if the car in front of me turns off and is white or silver my car will slam the brakes on and give me the "check for surrounding vehicles" warning

·
Registered
215 Posts
Often get caught on that trap where you car matches the speed of the slower vehicle and not noticed. Great for economy though lol.
Flick the turn signal on to change lanes and you feel the car eager to speed up. I find you have to move into the next lane a long way before you reach the slower vehicle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts