Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this year my electrician installed a 32A commando socket to use with my Ohme cable to charge my BEV.

22 metres of 10mm SWA cable runs from its own CU in the meter box to a Matt:e SP-EVCP-T “Single Phase Voltage Monitoring and Protection Unit” and from that to the commando socket.

My wife has bought a PHEV and it would be useful to charge both cars overnight on the cheaper tariff, so I’d like to be able to plug her car’s granny charger in to a 13A socket near the existing commando socket.

The Matt:e box states it “allows for the connection of 1 x 32amp single phase charge point to the existing PME earthing facility”.

The meter-box’s CU MCB is rated at 50A and the RCD at 63A.

Can I take a feed from the 10mm SWA before the Matt:e box to make a fused spur to a 13A socket and still be safe & within Section 722 Regs?

TIA,
Mike

·
Registered
590 Posts
Doesn't sound impossible. The 10mm is good for over 50A and the volt drop is within range given the length of the circuit.

You would need a second circuit on the CU to feed the socket, which makes it a notifiable job so you'd need an electrician to certify it. The only thing is how the Matt:e box works (I haven't seen one). As a fault detector, it can control multiple sockets as the fault it is looking for is on the supply side, not the load side - but it needs to be able to break full load, which may be why they make the statement they do. If it is connected between the supply and the load, it sounds like you couldn't go above 32A.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,617 Posts
I'm not keen on using 13A sockets and "granny" chargers as a regular means of charging, they are not designed for it.
What you are suggesting will work but without the additional safety that the Matt:e device provides above a normal PME system. It's allowed for a "granny" charger as it's intended for occasional use. But it will not meet S722.
Really you should install a second EVSE limited to 16A and another Matt:e.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts