Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at the ohme cable.

As my existing Rolec is tethered, ohme's advice was to install a commando socket and go for the appropriate cable. They even linked to another thread on here for a DIY install.

I was after some advice and wanted to clarify a couple of points.

My current install is a Rolec wallpod
Live and neutral from the non RCD side of the consumer unit (the installer just grabbed the last spare 32a slot) & an earth rod in the drive way.

So I assume my best best it's to take a trail from the contactor side of the 40a rcbo in the charger rather that putting the socket up stream on the supply?

Is there likely space in the existing grommet in the Rolec to accommodate an additional tail lead?

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am no expert, and should always recommend getting an electrician, but I think I would removed the Rolec and install a 32A RCBO in the consumer unit.

Honestly, get an electrician. It won't cost much to do this and it is then certified.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trying to find anyone at the moment doing more than emergency call outs is tricky, even the maintenance guys at work have stopped taking homers sure to lockdown.

Also in pretty sure the original install of the Rolec was certified due to having been done under the olev/EST grant schemes and I'm pretty sure atleast done of the work doesn't meet regs. Fire insurance the cable buried in plastic conduit in a 2" trench.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,922 Posts
Your Rolec probably isn't installed to the latest (January 2020) regs, but even so is safer than a Commando socket. What you are suggesting will lose the certification that your existing point has and make it harder when you come to sell your house in the future.
I presume from what Ohme are allegedly saying means that you have a tethered Rolec unit? If it were untethered then they sell a type 2 compatible product.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it's a tethered unit.
I also like the idea of the commando as the Mrs is determined to move in the next year
While in sure the 1k price tag of a current gone charger is vastly inflated to soak up the grant funding. A simple commando and a £200 smart cable seems like a fast cheaper option

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,922 Posts
as the Mrs is determined to move in the next year
Don't bother doing anything, use the "granny lead" for the second car in the meantime. The cost of change isn't justified.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahh there is no 2nd car.
I'm looking to be able to use the ohme in place of the Rolec to make better use of the agile tariff

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Suggest keep your existing Rolec hardware and just control via IFTTT, downloadable free from Octopus
1592082341498.png

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sadly the rolec isn't the smart model is the dumb type 2 wall box.

I have seen something on here about carving up an ifttt smart plug to control a zappi bit figure it already has some smart elements. Don't think I'd find a smart plug rated to 7kw I could shoehorn inside the Rolec

Annoyingly last year there were loads of untethered units going cheap on eBay. Could have just swapped the faceplate.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've have done this with a Sonoff. It was so easy. I did use IFTTT but I've now gone down the Home Assistant rabbit hole!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Nice. Great thing about a modular charger like Viridian Rolec is you are not locked into developers App. Easily upgradeable and therefore future proof.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks,
I'll look into that.
Any recommendations?

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
I'm looking to be able to use the ohme in place of the Rolec to make better use of the agile tariff
If you will move in a year will you really recoup the cost of any changes by then?
Even financial break-even probably isn't worth the trouble.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was lead to believe that a commando socket is fairly cheap, under £50, Hence my thinking that if I did that and bought the cable. If/when we do move it's just a case of fitting a commando at the new place. Obviously it would be a bit more then there need to be a cable run etc.

But yes I'm going to look into Freddy's suggestion of adding sonoff to the Rolec as that should be about £10-15 then I just need to hope octopus"s deal on the heavily reduced cable is still there in s year or two

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,249 Posts
I've been looking at the ohme cable.

As my existing Rolec is tethered, ohme's advice was to install a commando socket and go for the appropriate cable. They even linked to another thread on here for a DIY install.

I was after some advice and wanted to clarify a couple of points.

My current install is a Rolec wallpod
Live and neutral from the non RCD side of the consumer unit (the installer just grabbed the last spare 32a slot) & an earth rod in the drive way.

So I assume my best best it's to take a trail from the contactor side of the 40a rcbo in the charger rather that putting the socket up stream on the supply?

Is there likely space in the existing grommet in the Rolec to accommodate an additional tail lead?

If I understand this correctly, possibly not?

My suggestion;
First step; Just leave everything alone, but disconnect the existing EVSE from its connection to the mains and put a 32A plug on a short lead and wire that lead into the EVSE.
Second step; put a shuttered socket at the mains end you have just made that used to be connected to the EVSE.
Third step, plug your EVSE back into the mains, via the 32A plug/socket.

At that point you have effectively made no change, and you have also made no changes to any household wiring so it is beyond any regulations.

But you can now plug and unplug your EVSE at will, which includes getting a second EVSE if you want, also put a plug on that, and then you can plug in whichever EVSE you want, at will.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Donald

That is pretty much it :)

The one ring I was unsure about was the earth spike which connects directly to the EVSE. I'm not sure if there is also an earth within the mains cable from the house.

I may even just disconnect the Rolec entirely for the time being and reconnect it down the line if/when we move

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,249 Posts
Whatever the earth into the EVSE does, just reroute it and connect it into the socket. The earth to your spike is then on the socket if that is how it was, and will be just like that again once you plug into that socket.

I can't assure you that this doesn't conflict with some balmy regulation or not, but it's just logical to do that. Then by swapping plugs around you swap that earth over to whichever EVSE you are using.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
I was lead to believe that a commando socket is fairly cheap, under £50, Hence my thinking that if I did that and bought the cable. If/when we do move it's just a case of fitting a commando at the new place. Obviously it would be a bit more then there need to be a cable run etc.
OK, that makes sense. I thought this proposal was a stopgap rather than a permanent solution.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts