Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I completed the first ever Chademo retrofit (maybe EUs first? :D ), and documented it in video format. Maybe we'll go for CCS retrofit next time? :)

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,197 Posts
Adding CCS would be completely awesome - this was impressive enough but you aren't going to be able to just pick up standard Nissan parts to fill in the gaps let alone copy from your other LEAF. Are either of them financially justifiable or just interesting technically?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,197 Posts
A CCS retrofit to a car with existing Rapid charging sounds a sensible first stage as at least most of the HV connections are already there and the main task becomes the CCS interface.

In the UK we still have plenty of CHAdeMO Rapids but most new installations are CCS. Is it similar in Finland?

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,948 Posts
A 43k AC charger swap would be of interest as there are many of these chargers compared to CCS or Chademo. (Leaf 2) and 43kw AC is as near enough as quick as a 50kw DC charger.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,197 Posts
A 43k AC charger swap would be of interest as there are many of these chargers compared to CCS or Chademo. (Leaf 2)
I suspect that would be far more than a CCS and Type 2 conversion.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,948 Posts
I suspect that would be far more than a CCS and Type 2 conversion.
What about a standalone 43kw AC charger with a type 2 cable in the boot with a chademo cable which can be plugged into the Leaf's socket? (a giant granny charger)

keep it in the boot, fit a type 2 cable and plug it into an AC charging point. Only 25kw, but means you can use any AC charger.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,197 Posts
You'd need something to spoof the signals that the charge point is expecting from the car along the Type 2 AC lead from it to your plug on this unit. It's a very expensive solution in comparison to the value of an early car and I'd be worried how long 43kW points will be available before being downrated to 22kW in the future.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,948 Posts
You'd need something to spoof the signals that the charge point is expecting from the car along the Type 2 AC lead from it to your plug on this unit. It's a very expensive solution in comparison to the value of an early car.
Yes some simple electronics to recreate the Cp and Pp signals and true, isn't cost effective for older models.
There are cheaper AC to chademo on Alibaba and a type 2 cable with the plug cut off one end + signal emulator could be possible at reasonable cost for Leaf 2s and greatly increases charger choice and availability.

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
743 Posts
It’s horrendously complicated to even retrofit CHAdeMo to a leaf that left the factory without it.

To add CCS although technically achievable would probably not be financially viable.

Given that CHAdeMo is here to stay for at least a decade I don’t really see what you would achieve by doing this.

Vehicles like the iPace are renowned for being bloody unreliable when it comes to charging on CCS.

I think adding CCS to a leaf would detract from it, we occupy a niche and have less competition when it comes to charging connectors, that’s a positive in my book.

·
Registered
2011 Leaf with Muxsan 17.6kWh battery, curt tow hitch fitted for bikes or buzz rack P10
319 Posts
I dont think that diy ccs is that far off. for example Damien @BMWEV seems to been having success with bmw i3 ccs lobotomised for cars which have oem bms like orion ones so if you have the access to the main relay which chademo controls then you have both the parts of the puzzle more or less nailed. Im convince Dala or Muxsan will get this figured out for leafs and other cars in short order.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts