Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am the very happy owner of a zippy Fiat 500e, my first EV, wonderful to commute and drop the kids off at school 5 min away.

I settled on keeping my good old and reliable ICE Dodge minivan to pull our motorcycle trailer for week end outings. It really is oversized for this usage and I was thinking of replacing it with a RAV4 EV with a hitch.

But... range and range reduction with the additional constraint of the (relatively light) trailer with 3 dirt bikes on it. I would be lucky to get a total of 60 real miles (guestimate) total for the full equipage, which really puts us right under what is needed to go to the nearest track and back...

But, pulling a trailer means that I can add things onto it, like... extra batteries for the Rav4 EV and may be get to a point where, even with the extra weight, I could extend the range sufficienty for our escapades.

Before getting into efficient frontier calculations (I wil need to research the data first), I wonder if anyone here has experience with adding extra batteries to their EV. :)

Looking forward to learning.

Thank you,
E

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks that to double the range on the Rav4 EV, I need an extra 40 kWh, or about 500 lbs of batteries, the weight of 2 motorcycles. At fisrt glance, it seems feasible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts