Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for additional lights to add to the Ampera to make night driving a bit easier, problem is that most of the light solutions are not type approved, when you read the small print it's off road only.
I found these lazer lights that are road legal in the UK, however not at all cheap

ST2 Evolution - ST Evolution - Lights - Products

Lazer also do a Grill mounted solution for some cars which looks like it will work for the Ampera as well so the plan is to get a grill and do a bit of dremel surgery.

Any interest in a group buy of the bit's to try and drive out some costs?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
2,931 Posts
Watching with some interest. I had a mk 1 Astra which I fitted a Hella driving lamp and grille combined, literally plug 'n' play as the car had all the wiring already. I had thought about something similar but I would need to get an old grille to try first and these lamps are expensive for a 'try'.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I don't think that auxiliary driving lights are subject to the same laws as mandatory vehicle lighting.
On that basis I have a couple of 18W LED 'work lights' on my car to supplement the high beams where needed.
They're very cheap and good for lighting the foreground. Not so good at long distance, admittedly. Depends how much help the stock lighting needs.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,536 Posts
Additional driving lights are the bane of my night time driving, why is it that people feel they have to drive around with the front of their car lit up like a Christmas tree, if they can't see where they are going then they are probably driving too fast for the prevailing conditions.
They seem to think it's OK to burn the retinas out of people driving in the opposite direction and often are late dipping their main beams.
Some people seem to drive around with front fog lights on permanently, why? is all they do is light up the kerbs and completely pointless as well as being illegal.

·
Lettuce Leaf early to be sure of arriving on time.
901 Posts
Additional driving lights are the bane of my night time driving, why is it that people feel they have to drive around with the front of their car lit up like a Christmas tree, if they can't see where they are going then they are probably driving too fast for the prevailing conditions.
They seem to think it's OK to burn the retinas out of people driving in the opposite direction and often are late dipping their main beams.
Some people seem to drive around with front fog lights on permanently, why? is all they do is light up the kerbs and completely pointless as well as being illegal.
This. This, this, this!

·
Ampera aka IGOR
2,931 Posts
These would be wired so they only come on with main beam. I agree that people who drive around with foglights on when the weather is fine are a nuisance, however, these are driving lights and designed to work differently.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Adding fog lights in the days they weren't standard was one thing. Adding extra ones now they are already included is somewhat OTT and anti social.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Adding fog lights in the days they weren't standard was one thing. Adding extra ones now they are already included is somewhat OTT and anti social.
I appreciate the sentiment but the car in question doesn't have front fog lights, and the standard headlights are dim enough to warrant several threads discussing how to improve them. Adding driving lights is a legal way of increasing the brightness of your full beams. They shouldn't ever bother you if used correctly as they should be switched off whenever the headlights are dipped.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I haven't driven the car in fog yet but I can see that adding front fog lights may be a good idea. If anyone goes ahead with this I would be interested in procedures and wiring to work only with dipped beam on.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
This thread is a good argument for those such as myself for upgrading the original headlamps to HIDs.

The law really is an ass if we cannot install HIDs or LED lamps in to OEM reflectors without washers and levelling yet can bolt on any assortment and number of aftermarket lasers such as the ST2 link above.

I rest my case m'lud!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agree the law is an Ass however the rules are clear and technically you don't have a valid MOT and so are not insured. If you've informed your insurers and they are happy then I suppose you are OK.
To take issue with your other point you can't simply bolt stuff on there are rules here too as to what can and can't be done.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
2,931 Posts
I don't think UK car lighting regulations are very clear!

As for people driving with front fog lights on, I've found the worst offenders to be Nissan Leaf owners.
Disclaimer: not really of course! But I hope you get my meaning.
Careful now, some of the the newer Nissans have their DRLs where the foglights used to be and are round just the same as the figlights. My understanding also is that DRLs should dim whenever the headlights are on however I have seen several newer cars of differing brands where this does not happen.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Where I live many roads are unlit and I found the Leaf lights somewhat lacking compared to my Skoda Fabia which I thought was odd given the Leaf had LED lights and the Fabia hasn't. I put it down to the tinted privacy glass in the Leaf which the Fabia doesn't have. If there was an option for a clear windscreen in the Leaf I reckon I'd take it for the improved visibility. I actually took the Leaf to a DVLA test centre for them to confirm the windscreen tint was legal. They said it was but how those with a heavy (illegal) tinted windscreen can see where they are going is completely beyond me!

·
The best there is at what I do
10,536 Posts
The cars with these additional lights on cause problems for on coming traffic because it momentarily ruins their night vision as their eyes have to adjust to the bright light they have suddenly been subjected to, then in an instant they have to try to adjust back again, this can take a few seconds in which the driver has driven quite a distance with impaired vision.

Also people don't dip their main beam until they actually see the headlights of the car in front, that's far to late they have already blinded the approaching driver, driving a truck is even worse because the driver sits up much higher so by the time the car driver has seen the lights the truck driver has already been blinded.

I regularly encounter people who don't even bother to dip their headlights, as long as they can see OK that's fine, don't worry about the person approaching.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts