Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 GTE Advance. I have the standard LED headlights, and to be frank they're pretty woeful - mainly because they're dipped down a few degrees too low. Country roads at night are not fun, I'm forever switching to full beam and back again, trying to not to blind other road users.

Is there any way to adjust the beam angle? My old 2008 SEAT had a rotary dial near the light controls that let me raise and lower the dipped beam at will. I can't find any such setting for the GTE.

Anyone else have the same problem or is it just me?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,674 Posts
Are there any white adjusters visible on the headlight units themselves? They take a 5mm Allen key IIRC. There were two adjusters per headlight, one for up and down and another for left and right. They won’t need to be moved much.

I tweaked my old Golf GTE headlights up a bit as they were too low from the factory, just using the garage door as a reference, and got them checked when I next went in for service.

There is a procedure involving the workshop diagnostics tool/VCDS, but if you are just adjusting a little, the self leveling will still work ok and won’t need resetting.

If you measure the top of the beam at the headlight with a long stick or similar, then make sure the beam is 2% lower than that 2 meters out, you shouldn’t be too far away. Mine was pretty much spot on when checked.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,952 Posts
It's required to automatically adjust based on the angle of the car due to rear ride height. As above it can be coded via the software or manually by an adjuster on the headlights. They normally come low from the factory.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
My Passat GTE has "Headlight Range Control" in the Lights section of the vehicle settings, that seems to adjust beam angle. 70 plate not Advance with standard LED headlights.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,952 Posts
I stand corrected. What range of adjustment does that give and is it in addition to the automatic control?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all advice, much appreciated. Sadly, my GTE Advance (2017) doesn't have that adjustment option, so I'll guess I'll try looking for the adjustment screws, if I can figure out how to open the bonnet!!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I stand corrected. What range of adjustment does that give and is it in addition to the automatic control?
There probably isn't an automatic control.

Automatic self-levelling and washer systems are required for high-output headlamps (>2000 lumens source or >25W Xenon). The basic LED headlamps probably avoid those requirements - many cars are fitted with lower-output LED headlamps now as the basic option and don't require an auto-levelling system. Only the optional higher-output LED headlamps do.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
I have absolutely no idea to be honest. I only know where the slider is because I specifically looked for it when I first got the car - I used the equivalent knob on my old Passat quite often (carry lots of heavy things), so wanted to know where it was. All I can really tell you is that my car has the slider, it came set to where it is in the photo, and the headlights seem fine for me.
if I can figure out how to open the bonnet!!
There should be a lever next to the driver's side front door hingy bit. Door needs to be open to pull the lever enough to open the bonnet.

Random anecdote - I managed to snap the bonnet release cable on my old Passat. Thankfully it was covered by warranty, because apparently it was an absolute arse and a half to replace - it sounded like they basically had to cut the car in half to get access to it.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
There probably isn't an automatic control.

Automatic self-levelling and washer systems are required for high-output headlamps (>2000 lumens source or >25W Xenon). The basic LED headlamps probably avoid those requirements - many cars are fitted with lower-output LED headlamps now as the basic option and don't require an auto-levelling system. Only the optional higher-output LED headlamps do.
The GTE has auto levelling headlights and headlight washers.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Thanks for all advice, much appreciated. Sadly, my GTE Advance (2017) doesn't have that adjustment option, so I'll guess I'll try looking for the adjustment screws, if I can figure out how to open the bonnet!!
My Golf GTE is the same. I have 1 adjuster per headlight rather than 2 (centre of the photo below) - I assume it is for vertical adjustment but not tried it yet.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
I'm pretty sure that my GTE doesn't have headlight washers. If it has them, I can't for the life of me see where they pop out. I'd assumed that you only get them with the posh headlights, which I was too cheap to spring for.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I'm pretty sure that my GTE doesn't have headlight washers. If it has them, I can't for the life of me see where they pop out. I'd assumed that you only get them with the posh headlights, which I was too cheap to spring for.
As per Tooks' comment above seem to be lots of variations.

My Golf GTE has them - it only has the 'basic' LED headlamps as far as I am aware.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,952 Posts
Do you mean the Golf or the Passat, and if the latter which trim? Maybe the lower spec has lower output LEDs and doesn't need the complexity of washers and automatic adjustment?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Do you mean the Golf or the Passat, and if the latter which trim? Maybe the lower spec has lower output LEDs and doesn't need the complexity of washers and automatic adjustment?
The lower spec Golf with the 'basic' headlamps. I assumed the Passat would be the same, but maybe not.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
I dug out the Passat brochure from when I placed my order about a year ago, and strangely enough, there isn't a single mention of headlight washers on any trim level. So I'm guessing either they weren't available at all for my iteration of GTE, VW forgot about them, or they don't consider them exciting enough to mention in the sales material. But given that the brochure says that the car comes with a fuel gauge, I'm guessing the bar for what count's as exciting is pretty low over at VW HQ...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts