Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I have just ordered a new e-golf (some amazing lease deals at the moment with the range coming to an end) which means I will finally be joining the EV club!

I have a circa 6-8 weeks before it is delivered and hope to get a home charger installed by then. I’m after a type 2, 7kW charger, I don’t mind if it’s tethered or un-tethered, however I like things to be discrete, so if it had to be tethered, I’d want some tidy cable management in place. The EO mini is probably top of my list, however cheapest quote I’ve found is £610 (this includes the £350 gov. grant).

Whilst I could stretch to that amount of money, I don’t want to miss out on any other deals/offers. I have a trusted electrician coming to quote. He mentioned that he doesn’t qualify for the grant, but to be wary of companies hiking their prices because they qualify...

Can anyone provide some advise on prices and alternative chargers? Future proofing is fairly important to me, so is having a charger that is discrete.

Many thanks, GF

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Hi all! I have just ordered a new e-golf (some amazing lease deals at the moment with the range coming to an end) which means I will finally be joining the EV club!

I have a circa 6-8 weeks before it is delivered and hope to get a home charger installed by then. I’m after a type 2, 7kW charger, I don’t mind if it’s tethered or un-tethered, however I like things to be discrete, so if it had to be tethered, I’d want some tidy cable management in place. The EO mini is probably top of my list, however cheapest quote I’ve found is £610 (this includes the £350 gov. grant).

Whilst I could stretch to that amount of money, I don’t want to miss out on any other deals/offers. I have a trusted electrician coming to quote. He mentioned that he doesn’t qualify for the grant, but to be wary of companies hiking their prices because they qualify...

Can anyone provide some advise on prices and alternative chargers? Future proofing is fairly important to me, so is having a charger that is discrete.

Many thanks, GF
Get your electrician to instal a lower cost dumb charger and use the in car timer to take advantage of cheaper tarriffs like Octopus Go.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Future proofing is fairly important to me
What does that mean? To you.

The charge-point supplies AC power to the car so it can charge it's battery. The smart/grant ones are supposed to be 'intelligent' but all have different interpretations of what that is, so the future is pretty muddy.
The suggestion in #2 above is probably as future proof as you can get just now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The charge-point supplies AC power to the car so it can charge it's battery. The smart/grant ones are supposed to be 'intelligent' but all have different interpretations of what that is, so the future is pretty muddy.
Well, I guess if I’m forking out £500+ I’d expect to not have to again for the next 10 years which could be another 3-4 EVs from new (ideally).

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
They all charge at 7kW, do you want solar control, low priced octopus, you need to decide what controls you want and order them.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I bought a dumb podpoint as the tethered wire coils neatly around them. Mine is connected to an Economy 7 timeswitch in the hall.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Well, I guess if I’m forking out £500+ I’d expect to not have to again for the next 10 years which could be another 3-4 EVs from new (ideally).
You can ask the same of a new computer (or car for that matter) but you need to be fairly clear on what you want it to do.
Desktop, laptop, tablet, Windows, Linux, Apple.
There's no easy way to get it right - you have to do the research, as Ralkbirdy says above.

At present it's a new market and there are a number of not terribly reliable smart systems out there, seemingly just made to be able to get the grant.
A lot of the cost of a new install is in the electrical installation, so if you don't have a need for sophisticated solar or variable tariff right now it might be better/cheaper to go with a dumb charger from your local guy than chasing the grant. In a few years time the smart charge points will (probably) be better and cheaper and the cost of changing your dumb one at that point if you want should be little more than the price of the unit.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
As above.
  • What type of tariff do you expect that you might want?
  • Do you expect your cars or the charge point to control the charging times?
  • Might you have two EVs to charge at the same time in the future?
  • Is this a "forever" house or might you move?
  • Might you have solar or battery storage?
  • Are you concerned by theft?
  • Might you want to share your charge point commercially?
  • Might you want to do V2G at some point?
There's no single best charge point, but if you want particular features it can narrow it down.
Personally I'd either go with the cheapest option and forgo the grant or pick one that meets all of your future plans and use the grant with that firm or their recommended installers.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,358 Posts
If you are with Octopus, they have deals on EO I think and OhmeEV.

Do you have SolarPV or are you planning to get some? Zappi is amazing as it does SolarPV and ToU tariffs too.

Get something that is capable of ToU tariffs like Agile. I have a dumb Rolec and picked up OhmeEV cable recently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,869 Posts

OLEVs definition of smart, which is the only one that matters if you are qualifying for the £350 grant, us that the charger can remotely communicate via an agreed protocol with a back office and be remotely controlled by that same back office. This official definition lacks any reference to the user interface or user remote control YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The Andersen A2 is the best looking charger on the market, you can change the panels to match your property.

It's as "smart" as it gets. Works with solar, batteries, economy tarrifs ect.

You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
2020 Kia e-Niro
112 Posts

Many thanks, GF
Hi I've just had a zappi fitted and my old EO Basic dumb tethered charger removed. It's been fitted in the garage for a couple of years, is in great nick and its for sale. Send me a DM if interested before I put it on eBay..

32a 7.2kw.

Reactions: Izaaz501
1 - 13 of 13 Posts