Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New here! I'm a UK driver, do about 15,000-25,000 business miles a year (not during covid)

Looking at moving from ICE to EV. Need 300 mile range as typical once-a-week commute drive is 200-300 miles each way. Not averse to a 20 minute rest stop each way, but not able to stop for full recharge.

Therefore I'm considering a Tesla Model 3 Long Range or something like a Hyundai Kona EV (64kWh).

I had a few questions I was hoping for some help with:

1) Any UK drivers who drive >20k business mileage a year here, how did you find the switch to an EV?

2) I receive the standard 45p per mile business mileage reimbursement rate / AMAP for driving business miles in my own car. This is crucial in my budgeting and decision making as it's this reimbursement that enables me to afford the monthly instalments on an EV (cash deposit + PCP or Loan). I've read rumours that the government might introduce a new EV AMAP rate that is lower to reflect the reduced running costs in driving an EV. Now I get the logic behind that, but if they do this it could screw over my finances and budgeting, pushing an EV out of budget. Does anyone know the up to date consensus on this?

3) This year Government reduced the EV subsidy for cars with an RRP below £50k to only cars below £35k, making a Tesla model 3 another £2,500 more expensive in effect, is it worth it?

4) Any other long range EVs recommended?

Thanks for your time and help!

Cheers,

Tom

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have some thoughts but I do 15k depending on where work sends me.

1) 20 minutes is all I ever need on my 200 mile (in summer) egolf. Going over that means its a long day and I have a home charger and usually somewhere to plug in at work. I think it needs about 50 miles more range, so the id3 would be the next step for me. But I don’t need to, it’s fine and I don’t have range anxiety at all.

2)45ppm is what I’m charging for miles until they decide to start differentiating which wont come into effect for a few tax years unless they change it very soon. So I am making headway in paying off the car early.

3) I love teslas but I absolutely don’t need one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts