Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody !

I am looking to move from my 2.0 litre petrol to a hybrid / electric vehicle. I will usually travel a maximum of 50 miles in a day on my daily commute / errands. It is a very rare occasion that i will do any more than that.

The reason i want a hybrid / electric, would be for the same reason as most people. I want something tat is more environmentally friendly, cheaper to run etc...

I like the gold GTE cars, but how suitable would these be for me, given the above ? If not suitable, can you recommend any alternatives? I like the idea of travelling on Electric only, would this be possible wiht this car, given i only travel s small number of miles?

Thanks in advance !
J

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
Welcome! The only plug in hybrid (PHEV) that will do anywhere close to 50 miles on electric is the Ampera which is only available used. I am just about to drive to a customer office and back and expect to do almost all of the 48 miles on electric :)

Lower range PHEVs would reduce the cost of your commute, but they are expensive so it could take a while to pay for itself. If you could charge at work, that would really help.

Real world range of Golf GTE is around 20 miles. Less driving fast in winter, more driving very slow in summer. Be careful of VW fans who quote range on screen or switch between modes so it appears they get more EV miles.

The best PHEV EV range is probably the IONIQ PHEV? Have you considered the BMW i3? It is a BEV with REX rather than PHEV and can do far more than 50 miles on electric but has an annoyingly small petrol tank.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Check out the BMW i3 REx: even the older ones (like mine) will do 50 miles a day on pure electric easily, and there's a petrol engine for those rare occasions when the battery isn't enough. I switched from the Ampera's sibling the Chevy Volt to an i3 because the Volt couldn't manage my commute all year round and I've never regretted it.

Ampera/Volt and i3 are really the only examples of REx technologies: that is they are electric first with petrol as a backup. You get full acceleration and top speed on electric. All the other PHEVs are petrol first with electric as an afterthought: most will do a few miles on battery-only but dare to floor the accelerator or drive at motorway speeds and they'll need the use the engine.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Lots of good advice about PHEVs, but why not just go all electric? Any new electric will comfortably do your distance (probably twice your distance) so consider: Renault ZOE, Nissan Leaf, VW e-Golf, Hyundai IONIQ, Kia Soul, etc.

We have some example prices here - but other suppliers are available: All-Electric Car Deals - A new angle on energy

·
The best there is at what I do
10,602 Posts
Given your requirement I'd say that a BEV would be suitable, have a look at Zap Map to see what public chargers are available near the locations you visit.
One of the 60Ah i3 REX's would be ideal, 50 miles a day would easily be achievable on electric only but give the safety net of the REX if you wanted to go further afield.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Hello Everybody !

I am looking to move from my 2.0 litre petrol to a hybrid / electric vehicle. I will usually travel a maximum of 50 miles in a day on my daily commute / errands. It is a very rare occasion that i will do any more than that.

The reason i want a hybrid / electric, would be for the same reason as most people. I want something tat is more environmentally friendly, cheaper to run etc...

I like the gold GTE cars, but how suitable would these be for me, given the above ? If not suitable, can you recommend any alternatives? I like the idea of travelling on Electric only, would this be possible wiht this car, given i only travel s small number of miles?

Thanks in advance !
J
The only hybrid vehicle on sale with a 50 mile electric range is the BMW i3. They're quite small, and only take 4 passengers, but if those limitations aren't an issue for you they're great cars and the combination of petrol and electric makes them very practical on longer journeys.

If you're open to having a used car then also look at the Vauxhall Ampera, which is larger but also only a 4-seater.

Sadly that's all there currently is that meets your spec. Something like a Golf GTE is only going to do 10-15 miles on electric so while you will be saving some money and petrol, you'll still be firing up the petrol engine every day.

·
Registered
417 Posts
An all electric (BEV) will cost you a trivial amount to run at 50 miles a day. All the new ones on the market can manage this — BMW i3 and Hyundai IONIQ would be my shortlist if you want to avoid paying Tesla money. PCP seems to be the lowest risk and cheapest way to own from new for BEVs.

Second hand some older BEVs might struggle to manage 50 miles between charges. Do your research thoroughly before buying and assume the sales(wo)man does not know anything about BEVs. Second hand Nissan Leafs are often absurdly cheap to buy and run. But range needs to be carefully considered.

A REX or plugin-hybrid makes might be better. The Amepera is much loved by owners in this forum, and there’s an i3 REX version too. Both 4 seaters though. Outlander from Mitsubishi (a normal plugin, not a REX) is an option if you really need a lot of internal space, but figure on much higher running costs. My friend has an A3 plug-in etron and loves it - but again you’ll be paying more for petrol and maintenance versus a BEV.

Non-plugins (regular hybrids) don’t deliver much in terms of running cost savings or pollution improvements unless you do a lot of city driving.

I’m a very happy high mileage BEV driver. A BEV makes for a more satisfying drive, the smoothness, the quiet, the acceration.... it’s all great. Very low fuel and maintenance costs obviously too. If you can make it work for you you’ll not regret it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Agree that based on your usage profile a full EV (BEV) is the way to go.

Ask any PHEV driver (like me) and they wish they could get more pure EV miles. Since you rarely do >50 miles per day then there is no reason for you to need an ICE. Are you going new or secondhand? Is a reasonably priced used Leaf one option to see how you go. The depreciation if you didn't like it would be far less than with a new car.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Do you have off street parking? Being able to have a fully charged BEV first thing in the morning is essential if you are looking at the second hand BEV market.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Do you have off street parking? Being able to have a fully charged BEV first thing in the morning is essential if you are looking at the second hand BEV market.
If @james makepeace intends to depend on public charging then that's another reason I would recommend the i3 REx rather than BEV: it provides a safety net for when your charging plans go wrong. The alternative would be heading for the nearest working rapid charger and sitting there for half an hour before the morning commute, also an option but maybe not appealing.

Actually even with off-street charging I've ended up without a charge a few times over the years: reasons being forgetting to plug in a couple of times, and (as its a Rolec) the EVSE tripping out until they fixed it. Both the i3, and the Volt I had before it made those annoyances rather than actual problems.

However when I come to replace the i3 I expect the range of a new BEV will be sufficient that I won't have to care about that next time if I can get two days commutes from a single charge.

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
another reason I would recommend the i3 REx rather than BEV: it provides a safety net for when your charging plans go wrong.
Just needs better planning. Is like a nappy which is why I think Rex's are for babies. You wouldn't put a nappy on as an adult because you thought your plans might go wrong and you might not make it to a toilet. Just plan better, and tell yourself range anxiety only exists in the mind if you let it exist.

In years to come REX's will be dismissed and looked down on, much like PHEV's widely are.

Be a big boy and get a BEV i3 if your getting an i3 I say. (Nothing personal against you for your choice of car @Duncan is just how I see it is all).

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Just needs better planning. Is like a nappy which is why I think Rex's are for babies. You wouldn't put a nappy on as an adult because you thought your plans might go wrong and you might not make it to a toilet. Just plan better, and tell yourself range anxiety only exists in the mind if you let it exist.

In years to come REX's will be dismissed and looked down on, much like PHEV's widely are.

Be a big boy and get a BEV i3 if your getting an i3 I say. (Nothing personal against you for your choice of car @Duncan is just how I see it is all).
I've said it before: I have nothing but admiration for the early adopters who jumps in sans nappies. Myself I've been taking baby steps.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Guys this is not about nappies etc.

You need the right tool for the job.

If you have off street parking, a known commute and access to an ICE. Then a BEV is the right tool.
If your daily use is not regular (often out of range) and you don’t have off street parking, then you need some kind of back up eg a PHEV/Rex.
Frankly unless you have a Tesla (with huge range and a reliable and extensive charging network) a BEV involves some compromise. Your lifestyle will affect how much you may or may not be prepared to compromise.
For me I was not prepared to rely on the EH network on a long journey out of hours with the kids in my Leaf.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I think the i3 is a very fine car but I'd be wary of a s/h BMW i3 Rex (or just a plain i3) because of the out of warranty costs.
Id want a full warranty for the whole time i had it and wrap that into the costs

·
Registered
626 Posts
Welcome! The only plug in hybrid (PHEV) that will do anywhere close to 50 miles on electric is the Ampera which is only available used. I am just about to drive to a customer office and back and expect to do almost all of the 48 miles on electric :)

Lower range PHEVs would reduce the cost of your commute, but they are expensive so it could take a while to pay for itself. If you could charge at work, that would really help.

Sadly the Ampera is still the "best" PHEV in the market

Anyhow ... if charging while in the office is possible .. any PHEV will do the job to make 25+25 miles in EV mode (or at least most of it in EV , plus a splash of fuel at the end of the 25miles leg) .. so if charging at office is possible .. go for the Golf GTE if this is the car that you like

I know there are big fan of pure BEV here ... but I expect that once the solid state battery will be available, with a massive increase of capacity and reduction of costs ... the PHEV will have a 2nd and better life

The needed EV infrastructure for make cross countries trips in Europe will not be present not even in 10 years from now.[/QUOTE]

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
@leafmonster you can do that for cheaper with an I-Miev etc. If you don't get 70 or 80 from a Gen 2 you can improve your driving style IMHO.

Do agree Leaf 24 remains a great car and despite its ageing years now it still feels fairly modern.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts