Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
New to the forum. My current company car (Vauxhall Astra Diesel) is up for renewal and I have my eye on a VW Passat GTE Estate for the following reasons:
  • Low BIK tax rate compared to a diesel estate of the same size
  • I work from home most of the time now so day to day driving consists of popping to the shops, school runs ect.
  • Having 2 young kids, I need a bigger boot space
  • I can charge the car every night at home via the granny charger

In the future I will need to attend the office once a week which is roughly 85 miles each way. Its 75% motorway, 25% A roads. I can charge the car at either end of the journey.

I am in the process of booking in a test drive to get a feel of the car before I make a decision.

I am just looking for advice/guidance as I have never owned a hybrid car before.
  • How much does it roughly cost to charge at home?
  • Will it suit my needs listed above?
  • To achieve maximum MPG/range, do you have to change your driving style?

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
236 Posts
I think the 2020 onward Passat is 11kWh usable battery, with losses etc it'll take around 12kWh to fully charge from empty. Cost will vary on what your electricity tariff is, a typical 15p/kWh would land you about £1.80 to fill up in electric, if you have a smart meter and you can get cheaper overnight electric tariffs and pay as little as 5p/kWh overnight.
I think realistic range is about 25 miles before you'll need to use petrol? If your local shops/school run trips are shorter than this you'll save heaps compared to a diesel on those journeys.
Changing your driving style depends on what your driving style is currently, if you like to press on at 75/80mph you'll see a big reduction in range. More sedate driving=more electric range.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.
A full EV car is not available as I am classed as 'high mileage user' so the best option is a hybrid car.

With regards to home charging, can anyone recommend a good energy supplier? My current supplier is a total let down at the moment.

Thanks

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
2,301 Posts
Thanks for the replies.
A full EV car is not available as I am classed as 'high mileage user' so the best option is a hybrid car.

With regards to home charging, can anyone recommend a good energy supplier? My current supplier is a total let down at the moment.

Thanks
More miles = bigger savings o_O I had a Golf GTE, loved it. Just charge it every night and at the office, don't worry about much else..

Octopus is the forum's go to. You'll see referral links in everyone's sigs to get £50 for signing up.

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
946 Posts
Hybrid is a dirty word around here, be careful where you say it.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
An explanation might help:-
BEV - Battery electric vehicle
PHEV = Plugin Hybrid Electric vehicle (like the Passat) Moderate EV range usually.
Hybrid = Non plugin tiny battery thing, IE Prius and similar.

The Passat should do well, EV on local trips and taking a part of the longer mileage, the works charge point will help the EV mileage.

Octopus, if you have a smart meter will give you 4 hours at 5p a unit in the early morning. This may not be enough to fully charge a flat battery. In which case a wall mounted EVSE which can charge faster (3.6kW) may be needed. These are safer as well, the Granny leads can cause problems if your house/ garage wiring is getting on.
Have it checked over by an electrician - point out it needs to sustain 10Amps for several hours.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I used to have a Golf GTE, great gateway vehicle on the way to full electric.
Sounds like the Passat will work well for you, particularly if you can charge up at the workplace. And if you can keep on plugging it in when at home, those short trips will be all electric.

Someone's already done the maths for you, but in rough terms electric driving is around 25% of the price of petrol driving, mile for mile.

Driving efficiency impact is the same, whatever the fuel - be sensible, you'll get further on the battery (which, by the way, is the default mode when you set off in a GTE). My Golf GTE used to show 31 miles range when full, but realistically ran out by 25 miles, but range drops if you put on heating etc. The Passat has a proportionately larger battery than the Golf did, to suit the bigger car.

You might also want to take a look at the Skoda Superb hybrid hatchback or estate - it's the same engine/battery set-up as the Passat, I believe, just looks different and possibly has a lower sticker price (so lower BIK).

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hi All,
New to the forum. My current company car (Vauxhall Astra Diesel) is up for renewal and I have my eye on a VW Passat GTE Estate for the following reasons:
  • Low BIK tax rate compared to a diesel estate of the same size
  • I work from home most of the time now so day to day driving consists of popping to the shops, school runs ect.
  • Having 2 young kids, I need a bigger boot space
  • I can charge the car every night at home via the granny charger

In the future I will need to attend the office once a week which is roughly 85 miles each way. Its 75% motorway, 25% A roads. I can charge the car at either end of the journey.

I am in the process of booking in a test drive to get a feel of the car before I make a decision.

I am just looking for advice/guidance as I have never owned a hybrid car before.
  • How much does it roughly cost to charge at home?
  • Will it suit my needs listed above?
  • To achieve maximum MPG/range, do you have to change your driving style?

Thanks
Steve
I made a similar change, from Astra diesel to Golf GTE. My commute (about once a week) is 75 miles round trip, charging at home, no charging at work.

Short trips are all electric, commute I get about 65mpg (10mpg better than I got in the Astra).

I was very happy with the Astra, but the GTE is better in every way.

No real tips on how to achieve best mpg - depends on the roads, your driving style and which 'modes' the car has - I believe the latest GTE has different modes to older ones like mine.

I always leave home fully charged. I start in electric mode until I am on the main road then switch to hybrid mode. When the car gets down to 2 miles electric remaining I switch to battery hold mode until I am a couple of miles from home, then switch to electric mode aiming to get home with 0 miles electric range remaining.

I have tried different approaches but this seems to give me the best economy. Main thing is to avoid battery charge mode (where the car uses the petrol engine to charge the main battery) as the fuel economy is horrendous in this mode.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
One way to really try & maximise the electric miles is to only heat the cabin when you're using petrol at the same time. That way you don't waste valuable grid power heating the cabin. So in my Ampera I'd run the ICE for a bit, get the cabin really hot, then switch to electric drive & turn off the heating & fan, so just the motor gets driven off the precious battery. Then when it gets too cold, go back to petrol & put the heating back on!

It's possible the GTe may have heated steering wheel & heated seats - using just these uses less power than heating the entire cabin electrically. You'll find you become rather jealous of the electrons in your battery, and will do anything to eke them out as long as poss! :LOL:

·
Registered
Kona64
1,874 Posts
On longer runs I got 55mpg out of my golf GTE, ie London > Portsmouth > London or Portsmouth <> Cardiff. That’s leaving home with full charge, putting it into hybrid mode as soon possible and leaving it like that.

otherwise I used it as very short range BEV mon-fri and my fuel costs overall dropped to a qtr or less than before I got it.

Skoda Superb Est if you can, will be cheaper lease and bigger inside.
You will love winter preheat defrosting.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks for all of the comments, apologies if I offended anyone :LOL:

I have a demonstrator car booked in for next weekend
Our BMW 225 PHEV served us well. Our logic was

1. Keep the charge topped up when possible.

2. Stay in electric only mode for all local journeys.

3. On long journeys try to use the electric at slow speed and petrol for at high speed. This should give maximum efficiency.

Doing this we managed to do 50% of our driving using electric, which save money and reduced polution. How much you can use electric will depend on many factors.

Enjoy your new car whatever you decide and take no notice of the BEV only perfectionist.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Surprised there are no BEV’s “on the list”. Point out to your company their Employers National Insurance contribution will be way lower with a BEV and they may re-think.

If you need a big car the MG5 estate is a pretty decent EV - if you could get a ID4 or Skoda Enyaq you would save a fortune in company car tax, and a fair bit on fuel.

My boss does 56,000m a year in an EV at the moment without any hassle at all - so when you say high miles, how high?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Hey. I appreciate your contributions to the forums but can you PLEASE check the date of the last posts before you reply to them? You seem to do an awful lot of grave digging and while this thread is only 3 months old since last post, you've done it recently on threads that are years-old too.

I Realise that this forum software is absolute trash and will recommend you ancient stuff, but it's always worth checking the date stamps on the threads as there's rarely much value to add to these very old threads when people have already made a decision, moved on, found a solution, or may not even be active on these forums anymore.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts