Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm awaiting delivery of my first electric car and am in the process of having the home charger installation done by chargedev.co.uk.

There are 5 chargers on offer. Can anyone tell me what they would recommend and why? I don't have solar panels at the moment.

My car is the Citroën eC4.
Thank you all in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
All charge points do the same basic thing, switch the mains on and off to the charger in the car, and the only differences between any of them is really the app functionality (if you need that), whether they have load limiting (needed if your home demand is high and there's not enough headroom between that and the supply maximum rating) and whether they have features like being able to use solar generation when it's available.

If you only want a charge point to just supply power to the charger in the car when you plug the car in, and don't need any other functionality, then go for the simplest. If you want to be use the smart features a lot go for the one that has the easiest to use and most functional app. This is very much a personal choice, the car will charge the same from any of them, given that all it needs is a power outlet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
As said above, plus consider if you want tethered or un-tethered. Personally, I went for un-tethered, partly because the bit of wall it was being attached to wasn't very wide, so a big loop of cable would have been a problem, but also I (well the wife really) thought it would be a bit unsightly, so cable will stay in the boot. But this is a personal preference.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Our charge point - Classic 2.0 should be a decent candidate if you are looking for simple and cost effective.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Looking at the website the cheapest one, the Project EV, seems fine. The only reason I can see to get any of the others is if you want a tethered one. I like tethered because it means I don't have to get the cable out of the car every time. If you are installing it indoors you could just buy a cable and keep it in there. The Ohme one doesn't seem to be as good though, no solar and it uses GPRS instead of your wifi which means you can't control it.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 R135 Iconic
211 Posts
Looking at the website the cheapest one, the Project EV, seems fine. The only reason I can see to get any of the others is if you want a tethered one. I like tethered because it means I don't have to get the cable out of the car every time. If you are installing it indoors you could just buy a cable and keep it in there. The Ohme one doesn't seem to be as good though, no solar and it uses GPRS instead of your wifi which means you can't control it.
The main drawback of the Project EV, looking at reviews online, seems to be a very poorly designed app.

Not sure what you mean with your last sentence: the way a device connects to the internet has no bearing on whether it can be controlled (usually via an app that also goes through the internet).

Unless you’re talking about “controlling” in the sense of “monitoring”… but even then, the fact that a device uses your own WiFi network doesn’t mean you can definitely look at its traffic, just block it (which would defeat the purpose of a smart charger in the first place).

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,811 Posts
The ProjectEV app is... awful. The hardware seems reasonable, I have no complaints with mine so far. There are more aesthetically pleasing units. I strongly suspect most of the "smart" in the cheaper units will stop working in short order as support for the model is dropped. That can be just as much of a risk with expensive stuff though perhaps less likely with the integrated systems like Zappi.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,811 Posts
I should add that I very rarely use the ProjectEV app. The unit just works as a dumb charge point, and that's how I use it. The app allows reporting of consumption (with the usual accuracy caveats) but otherwise it doesn't offer much. There is a timed charge function. I managed to make it work once.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,441 Posts
The ProjectEV app is... awful.
I'd agree with that, although it has improved slightly of late and can be made to do quite a lot if you have the patience to work with it. Support from ProjectEV is excellent for everything other than the App which is ..... - or have we already said that? o_O

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
The main drawback of the Project EV, looking at reviews online, seems to be a very poorly designed app.

Not sure what you mean with your last sentence: the way a device connects to the internet has no bearing on whether it can be controlled (usually via an app that also goes through the internet).

Unless you’re talking about “controlling” in the sense of “monitoring”… but even then, the fact that a device uses your own WiFi network doesn’t mean you can definitely look at its traffic, just block it (which would defeat the purpose of a smart charger in the first place).
That's interesting. I suppose the question is how much control do you need? Does it support things like tying in with cheap electricity tariffs or is it just on/off, because a lot of cars already have that feature.

By control I mean if you don't like it you can just disconnect it from your wifi and it can't talk to the outside world anymore. With GPRS it's got a modem and SIM card in it. I haven't read their privacy policy but you can bet they want to collect data on your charging habits and sell it on.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Is it the Easee One? That has the built in PEN fault system and can be controlled by RFID cards. Not sure about the App, but looking at the IOS store they are updating it frequently. It also has a 4g built in sim. If you want to make it tethered, you can lock a cable into it.

The ohme is different to the one I have, but I dislike the App a lot. They haven't made any usability improvements to it(at least none I have seen!) despite lots of user feedback.

·
Registered
211 Posts
That's interesting. I suppose the question is how much control do you need? Does it support things like tying in with cheap electricity tariffs or is it just on/off, because a lot of cars already have that feature.

By control I mean if you don't like it you can just disconnect it from your wifi and it can't talk to the outside world anymore. With GPRS it's got a modem and SIM card in it. I haven't read their privacy policy but you can bet they want to collect data on your charging habits and sell it on.
Making the best use of specific tariffs is the main selling point of smart chargers, so I would assume that all of their apps do - the Ohme one definitely does.

Re: the privacy policy, sorry, but people assuming the worst without good reasons is my pet peeve so here it is:

Not sure why a company whose business model is based on managing your charging habits would benefit from selling that information to a third party anyway.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The ohme is different to the one I have, but I dislike the App a lot. They haven't made any usability improvements to it(at least none I have seen!) despite lots of user feedback.
Oh that’s interesting, I’ve mostly read positive reviews. What sort of usability improvements are you referring to?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Oh that’s interesting, I’ve mostly read positive reviews. What sort of usability improvements are you referring to?
Certainly for myself when I first got |the Ohme [commando version] there is quite a learning curve as like many others mentioned, the app is not intuitive with the many options available. Once set though its a good bit of kit. Unsure of any facts but improvements to the UI were rumoured. In the time I had the Ohme I can only recall one app update. Anyway, now the Ohme has gone up in price and been around for a while I flogged it for what it cost.

Interestingly, I've done the opposite of the OP. Replaced the commando socket/Ohme with a 3-pin and the granny which gets used a few times a week for no more than than the 5 hours cheap rate. The Leaf is 3.3 anyway. For longer charges I use the free untethered ChargeMaster EVSE. That way I can leave the cable in the boot so I don't forget it like today :censored: And it's £200 in the pension pot :)

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Because you are getting a Citroen which has compatability issues, go for Indra as we have a specific mode to work with PSA group vehicles.

Need to think about what is important to you, e.g. tethered or untethered cable (generally tethered is more convenient) and reliability - Indra is at 0.06% failure rate. industry average is 5% and next best is PodPoint at 1.6%.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a projectEV which as others have said is ok from a hardware pov, but the app is pants
I just use mine as a dumb wall box, which is all it is
in any case, idont need the app

Mine was cheap as was at mates-rates
You can buy the hardware outright for lass than £400 (Screwfix) and get it fitted by a competent and registered sparky, but if you are going through a grant system it will be more money, less the “grant”, …all a bit of a con really

1 - 20 of 26 Posts