Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a slight front end bump in Zoe, now passenger headlight loose and bumper cracked - pics attached. Going to local dealer in Wakefield tomorrow for inspection but any adivce as to replacement parts, costings, etc would be welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
Can this plastic be welded like on motorbike fairings? It might be a cheaper option.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Had a slight front end bump in Zoe, now passenger headlight loose and bumper cracked - pics attached. Going to local dealer in Wakefield tomorrow for inspection but any adivce as to replacement parts, costings, etc would be welcome.
I would personally glue this together myself.

You can buy some really decent MMA adhesives that would do the trick.

I would stay away from cynoacrylates and epoxy types since they won't be as effective.

Cynoacrylates could melt the plastic and make a mess, and epoxies are strong but brittle, you'll want some give in the joint.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,373 Posts
And if you decide to go for epoxy after all (see @squid_lemon s comment above), don't use fast curing. It is the more brittle variant indeed and the final strength is less than the slow (24 hour-ish) variants. Yes I love the stuff, especially the fast curing and use it everywhere, but it has it's limitations for sure.

Getting parts is a tough one but ebay is probably your friend. Not a very sophisticated comment I realize.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would be a bit worried about the headlight; that's pretty critical and you may be requrired to replace the entire passenger side headlight. When mine were broken, they wouldn't let me take the car back on the road until the headlights got fixed. Not sure how much would be in the UK, but I had to pay 340 eur for each headlight.

For the crack, the service may suggest to replace it entirely, and that would be around 800 eur (the whole bumper).

Add labour costs, I gather 4-5 hours in total. That's to make the whole thing as brand new, which... it's a plastic crack, not worth spending 800 eur.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Have a look at
with regards the plastic mounting for the headlamp. There is a second one that is also designed to break / crumple that is harder to check. Probably means a new unit if you want it to last.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Labour is expensive - can be around £100 / hr

if it’s a headlamp mount it should be easy to buy for £30 or so but will cost £200 to fit maybe because the front will need to come off

you should be able to take the front off quite easily though

if a spanner monkey can do it then so can you - you just need time and patience and good weather

JJ

·
Registered
134 Posts
hi
get a headlight from eBay. start at around £80 and upto £150. search your year car etc.
Go to a body shop there was a guy from bradford area who had his bumper repaired. and repainted. but the search function is not working for me. Main dealer will be expensive.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dealer checked the damage and gave a quote for £1610 to replace the front bumper, passenger headlight, passenger running light, labour and vat. Will look around for other options.
Thanks to all for replies.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts