Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We've just picked up a 2017 Nissan Leaf. Clearly, this needs a type 1 connector. Within the next 12 months, I expect to have a second EV, that will be larger and with more range. I don't think many other cars use a type 1 connector so I'm expecting that car to have a type 2.

So my question is, what charging setup should I get installed at home? I could go for a tethered type 1 as I've read on here that tethered is a lot more user friendly (especially on wet mornings) than untethered. But then, when we get our second EV, I'll need an adaptor cable. The other option would be to get an untethered charger but then for both cars, we have the joy of coiling up wet cables in the morning. Is the best option to get a type 2 tethered charger now with a type 2 - type 1 adaptor? It seems that type 2 is the way to go for the future and having to use an adaptor for the leaf is the best compromise. It also looks like there are fewer options for tethered type 1 charge points.

Any advice appreciated!

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Adaptors are not approved and bypass a lot of safety features. I am in the anti-adapter camp.

Personally I would get a socket unit (they cost less) and buy a used Type 1 cable (cheap here or ebay) and leave plugged in. My Outlander friend did that, but needed 10 meter cable so tethered wasn't an option.

Reactions: mattdav

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Yeah, I just have an untethered chargemaster installed but as it's in the garage the cable I leave plugged in still looks brand new :) 99% of the time the car charges in the garage.

I also have a Type-1 Ohme charger though the next car is likely to be Type-1 too, failing that I need to get someone to change the plug, lol.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Hi,

We've just picked up a 2017 Nissan Leaf. Clearly, this needs a type 1 connector. Within the next 12 months, I expect to have a second EV, that will be larger and with more range. I don't think many other cars use a type 1 connector so I'm expecting that car to have a type 2.

So my question is, what charging setup should I get installed at home? I could go for a tethered type 1 as I've read on here that tethered is a lot more user friendly (especially on wet mornings) than untethered. But then, when we get our second EV, I'll need an adaptor cable. The other option would be to get an untethered charger but then for both cars, we have the joy of coiling up wet cables in the morning. Is the best option to get a type 2 tethered charger now with a type 2 - type 1 adaptor? It seems that type 2 is the way to go for the future and having to use an adaptor for the leaf is the best compromise. It also looks like there are fewer options for tethered type 1 charge points.

Any advice appreciated!
Adaptors are OK on private land.

·
Registered
BMW i3
408 Posts
Any reason you can’t go untethered and just leave the cable in? Cable theft?

If so, ideas here:

Edit: Could potentially get a second charger if and when you get the 2nd EV (assumes house electrics OK for that, and the grant may be gone by then!)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

I think on balance I'll go untethered and leave the cable in. That feels like the best option. I'll take a look at how to secure the cable too.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
The other option would be to get an untethered charger but then for both cars, we have the joy of coiling up wet cables in the morning
Honestly, it isn't that big a hardship. I have a tarp in the boot if I'm taking the cable with me, otherwise it gets coiled up on the coat stand in the hall, which has a tray under it to catch general dripping from wet coats (and now cables). Once I've unplugged the car, the time it takes me to coil the cable is less than the time it takes me to walk to the charger to unplug the other end. And sure, I get wet hands, but I'd get wet hands from a tethered cable as well.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Approved by whom?
What safety features exactly ?
I am really not interested in explaining as been covered many times on here. If you think are safe and OK to use, then feel free to use them.

This type of passive aggressive style is becoming tiresome and too common. I will probably take another break from the forum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts