Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all
I am lucky enough to be able to charge my E Niro at work. Recently whilst charging, the charge has been randomly stopping, work have a i3 and has same issue, so presuming it's not the cars. Work not really interested in looking into the issue, if I unplug and replug cable, it restarts no problem. I have been looking for a way to monitor the charge, so i know if it has stopped and i can go and restart, as we all know no app for the e Niro. Works charger is a dumb unit, no app or info available for it.

Have read recently of a kona owner using ev notify with odb dongle ( no mention how it's set up or how it works). Anybody advise if this would work for me and how it all works.

Edit
Couple of old threads on here on ev notify and the need to have a second phone left in car to connect to obd dongle and pass messages to the phone on you and also that the power to the dongle stops after a while, so stopping it all working. ??

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Have read recently of a kona owner using ev notify with odb dongle
I've been trying to get this working but it won't stay 'up' for more than an hour or so, often less. May in part be due to the old phone I got to do the car end, but I'm reluctant to shell out more on a function that I personally don't really need.

It's not exactly easy/intuitive to set up but as long as you have the right OBDII dongle and a decentish phone it should work.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,669 Posts
Hi all
I am lucky enough to be able to charge my E Niro at work. Recently whilst charging, the charge has been randomly stopping, work have a i3 and has same issue
Or maybe he's just telling you that ... d'you get what I mean? ;)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I do, i3 is a works car, it has it's own charger that works ok, when I have plugged it into the one I use, it has same issue. As only currently me using charger, they are reluctant to try and fix issue in case it's long and expensive to fix.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
What kind of charger do you have at work? I'm assuming it's a type 2 socket (7kW).
On that basis, it could be that something is overheating and stopping the charge.
Have you tried reducing the charge current via the EV menu?
That'll step it down from 7kW to about 4kW on minimum if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Its a podpoint at 3.6 kw. Not tried reducing as yet
Ahh ok. Not sure reducing will do anything in this case though would be interested to find out.
My home and work ones are all 7kW so no where for me to test it.

·
Premium Member
10,190 Posts
It could be a low voltage issue as some cars will stop charging if it drops below threshold. Perhaps the charging point you are using is on a longer cable run vs working point?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts