Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been loaned a 28kw ioniq untill my new 38 arrives can someone help is there a way off setting the charge limit to 80% instread off it chargeing too 100 each time also is it normal to only be getting 122 miles full charge and it loseing about 2-4 miles over night
its a 19 plate and done 3600 miles.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh
191 Posts
No way to limit charge apart from knowing it will add around 20% an hour on a 7 kW charger and setting the off peak times in the car.

If 122 is just the 'guess' displayed on the dash then in my experience that's seems about right in low winter temperatures. 140 plus in the summer.
If you check battery percentage overnight rather than the range figure you shouldn't be seeing any loss at all.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No way to limit charge apart from knowing it will add around 20% an hour on a 7 kW charger and setting the off peak times in the car.

If 122 is just the 'guess' displayed on the dash then in my experience that's seems about right in low winter temperatures. 140 plus in the summer.
If you check battery percentage overnight rather than the range figure you shouldn't be seeing any loss at all.
many thanks for the information will check the percentage in the morning.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If it's enabled, 12v Battery Conditioning will top up the 12v from the traction battery (and hence range), if it thinks that the 12v battery is getting low. Particularly on winter lockdown nights it seems..

On a motorway run, I used to see the same range at 94% after a rapid charge of the warmed battery as I had before setting off at 100% when it was cold.

There are lots of factors at play which is why battery percentage is a better comparative measure, but despite that, the GOM was always pretty accurate in mine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,070 Posts
The 28 classic Ioniq has no charge limit ability. I tend to use the GOM to gauge how much time to plug in at home to stay at around 80%. For that I check the GOM and work out how many miles would be needed to get back to 100 miles. Then divide that by 4 and then by 6 which tells me how long to plug into a 7Kw charger.

For instance. If the GOM shows 45 miles left that would take 55 miles to get back to 100 miles. Divide 55 by 4 = 13.75 kWh's needed. Divide 13.75 by 6 = 2.29 hours. So I set my phone alarm to 2 hrs 20 minutes and unplug then. That will take the battery back to around 100 miles and keep the limit well below 100%.

Of course, this only works if you are around to unplug when needed and not for overnight charging unless the charger is smart and has a timer on board.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Remember, the 28 kWh Ioniq has something like a ~31 (or was it 33)kWh pack, and the BMS / system software manages that while pretending to have only 28.

I limit the Niro and the Soul because they have 64 kWh (user visible) packs and it's not worth the effort getting them to full unless I really need the last few miles. But, on the smaller pack in the Ioniq I just let it get to 100% on the Zappi at home and ~90% on motorway rapids if I was in the car watching. If I was inside having a snack or a coffee, it would get to its 94% DC limit.

I figured the extra miles were worth the potential battery degradation that the BMS couldn't protect against.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts