Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
Not yet an EV owner, but considering to be one. I rent a flat, via a management company which is usually not particularly helpful, so I don't think any discussion for installing a charger on parking will be successful (also no dedicated car space per flat, just general parking for all to use).
BUT my company has multiple type 2 mennekes charging ports, and there is a rapid charger down my street (CCS 50kW, 3min walk away). Commuting per day of about 25 miles (total with return).
Interested by a Zoe or e208, both around 190miles it seems. It would be my only car (incl. weekend & holidays).
Does it sound crazy or do you think it could work?
Thanks a lot in advance for your advices.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Sounds almost perfect to me :) .
If you can get a full charge on a Friday at work you may never need the local rapid (just distant ones on long weekend trips).

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,691 Posts
Sounds like a plan. I would want a 2 and 3rd option near home though. A Single Rapid is just not reliable enough to rely on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your feedback Mikegs and Mark Cornwall.
Nearby rapid charger has two poles, each with its own CCS connection; they don't seem often used. Next closest rapid charger would be 2.5 mile away from home.
Starting to feel more optimistic?

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Nearby rapid charger has two poles, each with its own CCS connection; they don't seem often used. Next closest rapid charger would be 2.5 mile away from home.
Blimey o_O . Which planet did you say you live on?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Been running a 41kWh Zoe for last year with no home charging. Typically charged it weekly using a single 7kW post in a car park around 5mins walk from my house. Usually would leave it for a few hours to charge while I went about my business. Now I charge at my parents most weeks.

Starting a new job that's 40miles away and will be using the 6 22kW chargers they have at the office car park. Been monitoring it and always seems to have one free, so thankfully get to keep the EV! Will let you know how that works out when I start in March! Reckon I could even go a day without charging and still have enough to get home and back!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
When deciding to rely on nearby public charging as a long-term plan, bear in mind there will be a lot of new EVs hitting the roads from now onwards - what seems easy now could turn into a nighmare later.

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
Not having home charging is a gamble and what are costs of the local rapid? Prices seem to be constantly going up - even my Polar Plus is now 20p Kwh. Presumably you are happy and secure at work and no plans to change job as that could increase commute and reduce opportunity to charge at work.

Some people do make it work and I applaud them for that. I couldn't have a BEV without home charging because my type of work means I often go from home to other offices and charging on way would be too tedious.

Thankfully building regulations will be changing so even flat dwellers will have to be provided with EV charging, but only on new builds. Some councils (like mine) have been making it a planning condition for a while. Maybe we will see grants for communal charging at flats in due course as it needs fixing.

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
Starting a new job that's 40miles away and will be using the 6 22kW chargers they have at the office car park.
Perhaps we will see charging as an important benefit to attract talent? "Not bothered about private healthcare - do you have car charging?" ?

Reactions: cah197 and DrEskimo

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Some people do make it work and I applaud them for that. I couldn't have a BEV without home charging because my type of work means I often go from home to other offices and charging on way would be too tedious.
It's certainly more challenging there is no doubt about that. I bought the EV as an experiment to see if I could get it to work. I don't drive to work at the moment, so knew a weekly charge with a ZE40 would be fine for rare weekday use and not massive weekend driving. It was the reason a 40kWh EV was the minimum really.

My main method was to charge at my parents, who I visit most Sundays for dinner. However the week I bought it, they found a leak and had to move out the house! In the end they were in rental properties for over 8months whilst insurance sorted it out! I thought I had to return it, as relying on one single 7kW post didn't seem feasible. To my surprise, I got by just fine. I got up early on a Sunday to go to the gym so it was very rarely in use. Found plenty of other chargers while out and about on the weekends too. I reckon on average my cost/kWh over the year was about 20p, so not very expensive.

Now my parents have moved back I generally charge there each week. We have been looking to move to a house with a drive for around a year now, but not much on the market where we live. Hoping this year we will be able to, which will make EV ownership much better. Especially as the Pod-Point chargers at the new job are £0.25/kWh!

My partner is very on board with going EV, and thinks when we have home charging she will make the jump. She's just annoyed the new Mini EV has such a low range...

As you say, she doesn't have reliable work charging so just wouldn't work. There is no doubt that if my new job didn't have 6 EV chargers, I would have had to go back to ICE.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
When deciding to rely on nearby public charging as a long-term plan, bear in mind there will be a lot of new EVs hitting the roads from now onwards - what seems easy now could turn into a nighmare later.
At which point he can change cars. It's not like a dog - for life :)

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
At which point he can change cars. It's not like a dog - for life :)
Sure, but a four year PCP with low deposit could see negative equity for quite a while. It wouldn't be good to have to change in a year, for example.

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
He hasn't mentioned that. Why are you assuming it?
If he's going to consider such a thing then my post #12 should set a little warning flag that he needs to think about that.
Are we sure male? OP didn't say used and mentioned e208 so I assumed a new car. Around 80% of new cars are PCP so again a fair assumption. However, I agree for EVs it might be lower due to demographics, but there is no data AFAIK.

Reported quite extensively - example below (good guide too)

PCP Car Finance: The Ultimate Guide to PCP (2020 Update) • Motorway

·
Registered
4,920 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
No. The default when gender is not specified or inferred is to use he/him. Just the way it is.

and a Zoe.

Why assume anything? You can ask him.
And if you are assuming anything anytime it's a good idea not to make it sound like solid knowledge because we all know what 'assume' does :)
All I said was as below as a friendly warning. If OP isn't doing PCP then she can chip in and say "grandma is buying it for me cash" ? They also referred to Zoe as 190 mile range, so ZE50.

Sure, but a four year PCP with low deposit could see negative equity for quite a while. It wouldn't be good to have to change in a year, for example.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi all,
Thanks for your comments. I am a guy, and rather looking at leasing for some years (3? Technology might improve fast). With regards to MikeElectricStuff warning, I assume that if ev use increases, so will the number of charging points. Interested by Dr Eskimo experience, but it sounds like he can also rely on his wife non-ev car as back up. Still difficult to make a decision... I am thinking about renting an older Zoe for a week or so to have a bit of a real life test.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Precisely why I went used and without finance. If I had gone the leasing route I would have had a very expensive fee to get out after just a few months, not to mention the high initial deposit...

Even EVEZY would have been problematic as I am now doing more miles than is permitted, so would have had to give that up and find an alternative.

Buying used has proved to be extremely good, not just for flexibility but also cost. Mine came with 2 free services and 2 years warranty (can be extended for £289) so my only cost for the whole year was a £40 MOT. Depreciation is minimal, if any...

but it sounds like he can also rely on his wife non-ev car as back up.
Sort of. She uses it everyday for work so I don't have it if I need a car during the week. Never use it on the weekend!

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
Hi all,
Thanks for your comments. I am a guy, and rather looking at leasing for some years (3? Technology might improve fast). With regards to MikeElectricStuff warning, I assume that if ev use increases, so will the number of charging points. Interested by Dr Eskimo experience, but it sounds like he can also rely on his wife non-ev car as back up. Still difficult to make a decision... I am thinking about renting an older Zoe for a week or so to have a bit of a real life test.
Yeah, good idea to get a ZE40 to try. I had a week with a ZE22 in very cold weather and did 600 miles which you can read about in the blog below (read from bottom up).

There were some good 2 year leases on the ZE50 but not so much now. If you hang on they might come back.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts