Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The aerial supplied with the car picks up DB and FM stations well. However all I get is static with the occasional weak signal on AM.

Does anyone obtain good AM reception. I am in a quite rural area so that may be a factor?

·
Registered
843 Posts
The aerial supplied with the car picks up DB and FM stations well. However all I get is static with the occasional weak signal on AM.

Does anyone obtain good AM reception. I am in a quite rural area so that may be a factor?
Your location may well be a significant factor, but in addition the short whip type aerial on the car isn't very effective at the AM wavelengths - the effectiveness of a whip aerial can be roughly assessed by comparing its physical size with the wavelength of the transmissions.
The car whip aerial is about 0.5 metres long - not so greatly different from the DAB and FM wavelengths, in the region of 1.5 to 3 metres.
But typical AM medium wave broadcasting stations are operating at wavelengths of 200 to 500 metres, consequently the 0.5 metre whip if not very effective at all.
A portable radio for AM reception usually has a small ferrite rod aerial because these are much more effective than a short whip at the longer wavelengths.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Speaking of aerials, I have a problem with the supplied aerial catching on the entrance to our garage. Sooner or later that is going to lead to grief.

I had thought that I could toddle off to Halfords and sort out some alternative, but a pre-lockdown trip yielded nothing.

Does anyone know of a source of decent quality rubber duck/stub antennas I could try?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I tuned in only one AM station and saved it as the first memory, and that's only so if my radio switches accidentally to AM it won't be a loud blast of static.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Speaking of aerials, I have a problem with the supplied aerial catching on the entrance to our garage. Sooner or later that is going to lead to grief.

I had thought that I could toddle off to Halfords and sort out some alternative, but a pre-lockdown trip yielded nothing.

Does anyone know of a source of decent quality rubber duck/stub antennas I could try?
Shame they don't make a "Shark's Fin" arial that can be retro fitted to the car .

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hi Mike, do you know if the arial was a success ?.
Did it affect the quality of the reception though, due to its shorter mast ?.
Caveat emptor!

I see that the 'Additional Information' part of the Amazon description for that aerial states:

"TECHNICAL INFORMATION:
Due to the shorter versions, AM reception may be impaired in areas with especially poor reception!"

·
Registered
144 Posts
No doubt RicM would have a problem, but I don't listen to AM.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place really. I need something short to stop the aerial catching.. Going in is OK, but reversing out gives me the heebie-geebies as it's being bent back on itself.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes Nickel, that was the other problem I needed to address. I was even told to remove the aerial when driving onto the EuroTunnel train!

Recently I found this metal aerial in Halfords. When I bought it the guy said it did not work for DB reception, to try it and can return it if the packaging is not damaged.

Since fitting, DB reception has improved but AM yesterday was a little less solid reception wise, but that may be due to the thundery weather at the moment. I will continue to use it, swap back to the original aerial and compare again.

A benefit of the new aerial is that it comes with a locking spanner making it difficult for thieves/pranksters to remove.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AM reception still as bad with the new aerial. I need to try AM in a flatter area as its very hilly here and line of site mobile is also poor in many areas.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm more interested in why you would listen to AM radio in 2020?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know AM is a bit old school but round here a few areas have no DB or poor FM reception. AM is on the car so would expect it to pick up some stations.

I have been to areas of the continent eg in remote Pyrenee areas where there is no DB or FM. Also in North East France/Belgium/Netherlands you can get some UK stations via AM (on a good day!).

Still many stations around on AM but admittedly being phased out.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have to say that my DAB reception is much better than on my Passat shark fin, I live on top of a hill in Hampshire and have pulled in London stations with complete clarity. I put it down to the long style aeria. I guess if you live in poorly served areas you are unlikely to have more success with anything shorter than a washing line.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I suspect the AM reception being poor in general is due the the radio wave length being quite large for AM but quite short in comparison for DAB & FM. So with a short aerial it may not be ‘long enough’ to detect the radio waves.
Somebody who knows more about radio waves should be able to explain it better than me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts