Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,662 Posts
For me, it's a no thanks. With cameras and screens instead of mirrors to me is a backward step for the sake of styling/aerodynamics. With a camera, you can't move your head around to get a better view out of the screen, with a mirror I can move my head to change the view I can see in the mirror and so see a larger area. You could try and make them convex to show a wider image but then you lose the depth of field, on your side of the pond do you not have warnings on mirrors saying 'Objects in mirror are closer than they appear'?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe it's estimated to save 3%-6% of range due to the decrease of aerodynamic drag, the Tesla Model 3 already has the cameras in place. I am not sure how this would be increasing drag?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I have been driving a Mercedes Actros truck with camera’s instead of mirrors.

Hate the idea,dual mirrors each side standard and wide angle are much better.
I would not want this on a car.

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
993 Posts
Having looked at what the standard cameras show, this looks like a more dangerous option than mirrors. I’m fairly sure my insurance company would laugh at me as well.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
And how are they wired in?

Does Tesla approve, are they legal as such.

I know the Honda E has them and others but these are designed in so would be fully compliant, not that i would want them.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,816 Posts
For me, it's a no thanks. With cameras and screens instead of mirrors to me is a backward step for the sake of styling/aerodynamics.
Having regular passenger cars with engines more than 50 BHP was a backward step for energy economy, but that's the way the world moved .......

As mentioned above, seems a lot of new trucks are now coming out with mirrors, and if anyone needs the best rearward visibility then it's an articulated truck.

Unfortunately for the OP, we cannot simply add parts to cars without homologation and appropriate approvals, at least not legally, and that's unlikely to happen to aftermarket mirrors.

AFAIK the regulations only allow trucks to have these, in the UK it is a legal requirement to have two mirrors to the rear. Happy to be directed to the relevant legislation on that if I need updating.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,197 Posts
AFAIK the regulations only allow trucks to have these, in the UK it is a legal requirement to have two mirrors to the rear. Happy to be directed to the relevant legislation on that if I need updating.
UK law currently mirrors (sorry ;)) EU law on this, and Honda and Audi have models of cars in these markets without conventional mirrors but that have type approval so the legislation must exist although I cannot point you to it. In the UK you can modify cars without gaining homologation for the parts concerned, and this is commonly done with things such as non-standard wheels. Where the check on this comes is with vehicle insurance and the potential liability of the user if said component contributes towards an accident. The law in states such as Germany is considerably different where in theory all such components should be TUV approved and as supplied by the original manufacturer.

Edited to add - as a stuck in my ways old fart I'm not convinced that I will ever make the change to screens rather than mirrors and would find the need to change focal length more often an issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately for the OP, we cannot simply add parts to cars without homologation and appropriate approvals, at least not legally, and that's unlikely to happen to aftermarket mirrors.
Ah, I see. I am from New Mexico where it is legal to do something like this, and if I had wanted to drive out to California, the laws do not require me to have the mirrors if my vehicle is registered out of state. So far, interstate travel has not been an issue for me.

·
30,816 Posts
Ah, I see. I am from New Mexico where it is legal to do something like this, and if I had wanted to drive out to California, the laws do not require me to have the mirrors if my vehicle is registered out of state. So far, interstate travel has not been an issue for me.
If it is a business thing you are trying to do then (as well as be clear on your interests here) you may approach the VCA and ask them, there may be some homologation route to make it a legal fit. Probably excessively expensive, but no-one in the UK would be able to get legitimate insurance for their car unless there was a nod from the VCA, and even then it would be problematic.

Good luck with it. I'm for it TBH. The other approach is to put it forward to swap 'one of' the mirrors, that might work, the requirement is for two mirrors, so if you replace one door mirror then shouldn't be a problem AFAIK, but don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, this is good information. I'll take a look at the Vehicle Certification Agency I think y'all are talking about and see if there are some modifications that can be done to be compliant. Are there any explicit requirements for external mirrors? I wonder if there could be potentially some type of internal mirror that could work on the driver side that wouldn't affect drag, since the central rearview mirror will still be in its place.

·
30,816 Posts
Thanks, this is good information. I'll take a look at the Vehicle Certification Agency I think y'all are talking about and see if there are some modifications that can be done to be compliant. Are there any explicit requirements for external mirrors? I wonder if there could be potentially some type of internal mirror that could work on the driver side that wouldn't affect drag, since the central rearview mirror will still be in its place.
'Fraid my knowledge ended at knowing the VCA were the people you will have to talk with.

I mean, TBH, if you can argue that it saves CO2 or whatever, someone might pick up a political gauntlet for you to push 'aftermarket innovations' through, who can say, but you'd be the first so expect the most resistance.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,742 Posts
What rubbish.

So are you saying if I replace my rear view mirror with a different one I will fail the MOT?

Can you point to the legal wording that would forbid this type of mod?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,742 Posts
Edited to add - as a stuck in my ways old fart I'm not convinced that I will ever make the change to screens rather than mirrors and would find the need to change focal length more often an issue.
I found the ones in the Audi eTron to be very good.

If anything, better than standard mirrors even at night.

·
30,816 Posts
What rubbish.

So are you saying if I replace my rear view mirror with a different one I will fail the MOT?

Can you point to the legal wording that would forbid this type of mod?
You can replace it with what you like, but whoever you bought it from might get into bother if you have a crash and the mirrors are considered inadequate, unhomologated and contributory to the accident.

Like I just said, my knowledge stops at asking VCA. What part of that do you want an argument about?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Will be considered a vehicle modification by insurance similar to changing to low profile tyres. You will be okay until there is an accident and try to claim. Also MOT will be undue work every year trying to convince them you are within legal boundaries of modifications.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'll be amazed if anybody funds this.
It's the kind of mod/accessory where even if the unit cost was £5, I still wouldn't be interested.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts