Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing photos of the M3 18" wheels without the aero covers looking better with some little plastic wheel nut caps and centre hub cap for about £30 from Amazon.

My question is how much does that affect the range (and is the decrease only noticeable at motorway speeds?), and does it affect the noise from the wheels?

Also, is it true that, if you don't take the aero covers off, straight away, they scratch the alloys, so you can't do it later?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had always thought that they looked better without the covers, and in preparation bought the aero kit.

However on delivery I took the aero covers off one side, and compared each side.

I actually prefer the covers on, and as SWMBO and mini SWMBO both preferred the aeros as well, they have stayed on.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'd be interested to learn where the scratches occur, I might put some tape on to protect them as I plan to leave the covers on.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd be interested to learn where the scratches occur, I might put some tape on to protect them as I plan to leave the covers on.
The damage is mentioned in this article :

·
Registered
90 Posts
I personally cannot see a range reduction by removing the aero covers. I think officially the reduction is around 5%. It’s grit that causes the scratches to the alloys with aero covers on. Personally I prefer the alloys to the covers.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I prefer to leave the aeros on.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I prefer the cover off - see the nice alloy wheels. Perhaps we should have a vote ;-)

Reactions: paulsinger

·
Registered
9 Posts
Removed mine on collection before I moved the car so I can't comment on the difference in range. I even took the centre cap + nut cover kit with me. It left no marks where the clips had been but then there'd been no time for grit to accumulate. The only scratch on the alloys is one that was no-where near a clip and clearly from the factory :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts